Bodycam Shows Moment Deputy Suffers Panic Attack While Armed

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
If this was in a populated place and/or the EMT was around, this could of turned into a tragedy.

SEVIERVILLE, Tenn., — A Sevier County Sheriff’s Office deputy opened fire without warning in a mobile home park, suffered an apparent panic attack four minutes later and was forcibly disarmed by a paramedic, body camera footage shows.

Deputy Justin Johnson did not mention the panic attack in his report on the December 2016 incident, and he remains on active duty, court records show.

Brian Keith Mullinax, 41, and his girlfriend, Tina Carrie Jo Cody, 37, spent 42 days in jail on felony charges, accused of causing what was described in court statements as a "panic attack" and which a detective called "some type of cardiac event." They remain under prosecution on misdemeanor charges, court records show.
Read more at

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Some background on this incident:

Johnson was summoned to the mobile home park by paramedics after an overweight woman who had fallen inside a camper-style trailer began making complaints about her landlord and accusing the landlord and her daughter, Tina Carrie Jo Cody, 37, of stealing her purse, records showed.
OK. A woman claims that her landlord and her daughter had stolen her purse. This may very well need to be investigated by law enforcement. But why does the cop pull out his gun and start waving it around and screaming at this person? There was precisely zero indication she was armed or posed a threat to anyone. And, quite frankly, if some stranger starts inexplicably screaming at me and waving a gun around, I'm going to think quite seriously about running away too.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I'm going to assume this wasn't the first panic attack the guy had.
Hard to say.

My father-in-law had one while driving, nearly wrecked. He was able to keep it together until he could pull over.
He's never had one before in his entire life.
This is a guy who survived being a door gunner not once, but twice in Vietnam.
Those guys typically had a short life span.

This officer needs to seek help and probably not do field work anymore.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How is a person that suffers panic attacks even allowed to pass basic training?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This officer needs to find a new line of work.
Agree, this also makes me wonder what type of training these officers go through. Was at any point during the training, anything remotely stressful so that you could see how someone might act during a stressful situation? Or was this something that has manifested and shown itself recently?

Reactions: Gutwrench

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Agree, this also makes me wonder what type of training these officers go through. Was at any point during the training, anything remotely stressful so that you could see how someone might act during a stressful situation? Or was this something that has manifested and shown itself recently?
You need to understand that a panic attack is not the same as "panicking" under a stressful situation.
Stress can trigger them, but you can have one simply sitting on the couch.
I'd put my money on this being his first one.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
You need to understand that a panic attack is not the same as "panicking" under a stressful situation.
Stress can trigger them, but you can have one simply sitting on the couch.
I'd put my money on this being his first one.
I do know the difference, however from the sound and reading of this, it occurred and was possibly caused by a stressful situation, which this appears to be. Having read and seen this, I wonder if he has had them before, but didn't say anything, and now that there is video, there is no hiding it.

I have a feeling this was his first one, caught on camera or first one period? Which makes me wonder what changed, what part of the scenario triggered the panic attack?

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
"Deputy Justin Johnson did not mention the panic attack in his report on the December 2016 incident, and he remains on active duty, court records show."

At a minimum, he should be terminated. I think he should face possible prosecution for reckless endangerment. It's a miracle no one was killed because of his actions. And I don't know why the paramedic gave this crazed officer his gun back. Luckily for him and his fellow paramedics none of them were killed.

The prosecutors are jackasses for not releasing the couple and for continuing this ****** case.

Reactions: Ntombi

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I do know the difference, however from the sound and reading of this, it occurred and was possibly caused by a stressful situation, which this appears to be. Having read and seen this, I wonder if he has had them before, but didn't say anything, and now that there is video, there is no hiding it.

I have a feeling this was his first one, caught on camera or first one period? Which makes me wonder what changed, what part of the scenario triggered the panic attack?
That's the question even doctors haven't been able to definitively answer.
Panic attacks are basically the fight or flight response going into overdrive.
There are cases where people have had a couple over a short period of time and then nothing for years.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Firing a gun is not a normal symptom of a panic attack. An accelerated heart rate, sweating, onset of loss of consciousness are more typical.

This guy just lost his ****. You can dress it up any way you want, but I doubt seriously this meets a medical definition of a panic attack. It was just plain old panic.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
"Deputy Justin Johnson did not mention the panic attack in his report on the December 2016 incident, and he remains on active duty, court records show."

At a minimum, he should be terminated. I think he should face possible prosecution for reckless endangerment. It's a miracle no one was killed because of his actions. And I don't know why the paramedic gave this crazed officer his gun back. Luckily for him and his fellow paramedics none of them were killed.

The prosecutors are jackasses for not releasing the couple and for continuing this ****** case.
Alllllllll of this.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
As a former crime reporter, these stories always give me pause because many news agencies will cover the agency's initial report on the incident, but that release might be missing important details or just be completely false.

In the case, the officer not only hid his apparent panic attack, but the agency also worked to charge two people with a felony for "causing" his panic attack. Not only did they spend 42 days in jail, "on felony aggravated assault charges filed against them by SCSO," but the couple were held "without a preliminary hearing for weeks."

So, a sheriff's deputy loses his marbles, discharges his weapon and keeps his job, but two civilians spent 6 weeks in jail?

TANJ.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Does the Force this cop is a member of have any kind of test to join? The bar seems to be set rather low lol.
Generally speaking, most law enforcement offices have an entrance test and psyche evaluation, some kind of academy, and then a period of probationary training.

This usually includes some kind of tactical training, where officers are put into stressful situations and are tested on their reaction to "shoot/no-shoot scenarios." Some of these are done live, with real actors, and some are done using "virtual" scenarios.

Likely, the deputy did not have panic attacks during training. Though it would be interesting to review the guy's training logs to see if instructors, or fellow trainees, noticed a problem.

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Does the Force this cop is a member of have any kind of test to join? The bar seems to be set rather low lol.
Far too many police departments simply require just a high school diploma to become a police officer. Many departments require less training than their state does to become a cosmetologist.

Think about that: you have a HS diploma? Yes. Here's a gun, maybe a manual. Now we'll partner you up with Bob. Good luck! :eek:

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Far too many police departments simply require just a high school diploma to become a police officer. Many departments require less training than their state does to become a cosmetologist.

Think about that: you have a HS diploma? Yes. Here's a gun, maybe a manual. Now we'll partner you up with Bob. Good luck! :eek:
I nearly joined the police in the UK and went through a few of the tests. The physiological testing they do here is quite intense and if you make any errors I think you are barred from retaking it for a couple of years. I decided it wasn’t for me and to be honest it didn’t pay enough for the risks you take. America is a different scale again though.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

Not exactly.
Yes, some agencies only require a HS diploma or GED.
ALL police departments are required to train their officers before sending them out on the streets.

http://www.discoverpolicing.org/what_does_take/

This particular officer had to go through a 12 week academy in order to become a police officer in the state of Tennessee.
https://www.tn.gov/commerce/section/law-enforcement-training