Boehner answers question of Tea Party independence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I believe the Tea Party is nothing more than a rebranding of the Republican party; an attempt to distance the Republicans for all the horrible things they did during the last 10 years (and more). Thanks John for settling any future debate on that question.

Now, speaking of daylight, can you pull some sunshine out of your a** and convince the extreme right-wing (aka the GOP) to act responsibly and pass a reasonable budget that will get through the Senate, and which the President will sign?

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

How can you expect that when it is those other guys who are acting irresponsibly? If either side is "hold the line at all costs, no compromise", what can you hope for? Did we not see this 15 or so years ago?

And in the end, if the Tea Parody wants less government, it looks like we are all going to get their wish, for a while, at least. Perhaps a suffocating government shutdown will show everyone what folly they are preaching.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The problem with our current GOP vs Dem crapshoot is the GOP makes as ridiculous demands as possible, the Dems concede more and more than they ever would had the GOP not started their proposals so far to the extreme, and the end result is the right gets far more of its goodies.

This country seems to be on the steady march further and further right as far as the political process goes. The Dems always seek to compromise and that only results in the continuous erosion of any progressive legislation.

So basically:

Starting bid, extreme right -> "compromise"->GOP asks for more->"compromise"-> repeat until an almost completely one sided and toothless "agreement" is made-> Celebrate passage of ______

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5-1 the Democrats cave. They are just unable to frame their arguments for the American people whereas the Republicans are masters. It also doesn't help that our media is more concerned with giving Donald Trump airtime than they are covering real news.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So what are they doing, dirty dancing? Is the tea party rubbing up against Boehner and giving him a...well, you know.

Linque.

This is one of the worst traits of the Republican party -- this notion that they can command others like royalty. "You've only given in to 60% of our demands, not 100%; therefore you are causing the problem."

This "give me everything I want" behavior is the domain of four year old children and terrorists who hold people hostage...not adults who are theoretically running our country.

And if they shut the government? Well, a plurality already blames the GOP by a nearly 2-1 margin over either Obama or the Dems. If the Democrats keep emphasizing how much they've already compromised, the blame will fall even more on the Republicans and (possibly, hopefully) permanently damage the tea party brand.

Whether we're talking about the federal or state level, it sure didn't take the tea party types long to royally **** up our country, did it? I can already see that the November 2010 election is going to down as one of the most infamous ones in modern history.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fap dance??

We have our problems, no question, but I am SO glad I live to the North of you.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So you are the only remaining person who pronounces his name BAY-ner?

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I can't really say, never having, or wanting to, say his name out loud.

Sorry.