Boehner to Reid: "Go (bleep) yourself!"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Really? Reid's accusation was hardly civil, but Boehner's witless retort seems like an X-rated version of "Nyah, nyah!" and "So's your old man!"

I just don't see how Boehner or any other Republican views this as "really telling him." It simply bodes very bad for the upcoming two years. And in truth, Boehner and the Pubbies have no one to blame but themselves.

Chris Matthews tells of how, during the Reagan administration, Democrats and Republicans would argue bitterly on the floor of the House or Senate, then gather for drinks together the same evening. When asked how they could speak so testily about each other and then buddy around with each other later, Reagan answered that they may be political opponents, but after 5 o'clock the formalities were dropped and they were one big family.

Eric Cantor, John Boehner and Mitch McConnell oughtta try it sometime. Intransigence and expletives may please the most extreme sliver of the 23% who still call themselves Republican, but to the rest of us it makes them look like spoiled children.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Keep it up, Republicans. I look forward to many less of you in the government.

They really don't care if they bring the whole country down. They'll hold the entire economy hostage in their quest for more and more power. They need to GO.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's because back then both parties may have disagreed about what the best solutions were, but almost all of them wanted to see the country succeed. Now we're stuck with a bunch of Republicans who would rather see the country fall apart than have the Democrats be at all successful. I'm not saying the Dems are completely innocent of that type of behavior, but they haven't been as bad.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure I agree with X-rated. I don't view petty insults between politicians as a big deal. It's only news because someone picked it up. There are more important concerns.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, like maybe stop the petty bickering and get on with running the country.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Things are very different now than they were in the early 80s. Gerrymandered Congressional districts gets a good chunk of the blame, forcing on us hyper partisan reps that have very specific constituencies that they must represent. The other side of the blame falls on guys like Chris Matthews and his ilk. Cable news has been one of the single worst things to ever happen to this country, IMO. Instead of delivering the news as they once did we get highly politicized editorial content that is meant to cater to only one end of the political spectrum. They perpetuate the "us vs them" theme of politics today and fill the dead air with anyone they can get on who will provide compelling TV by lobbing political grenades at the other side. I'm not even sure if the damage done to our society by the folks at Fox News and MSNBC is even repairable at this point.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but chances are Ried comments hit pretty close to home and have a huge amount of truth. Boehner and a lot of the GOP are scared ******** of losing to their own party. Not in the general. Boehner is scared of not being speaker. It is sad but this is the true face of the GOP.

----------

See that is a huge part of the reason why I think the redistricting should not be allowed to be touch by dirty scumbags politicians. It should be done by non party group. Hell I would love to see all states follow CA lead. Long term that will force them to more middle of the road and OMG represent their people.

8. MorphingDragon, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Redistricting can be done completely fairly using an O(n log n)? algorithm and it doesn't even have to be touched by a human. Politicians can argue over what each electorate will be called.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yes.. Let me rephrase. I wish the news would focus more on discussions on the floor of the Senate rather than outside the Oval Office.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is like two weeks old.

You guys are getting slower.

Im sure this stuff goes on all the time.

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At my age, that's how long it takes me to notice things.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Money in politics contributes to this greatly. Politicians don't have time to socialize with each other and form relationships as our politicians did in the past, they need to be raising money.

[​IMG]

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm unfamiliar with how this works. You want to explain? Reference? Is it in use somewhere?

14. MorphingDragon, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

MorphingDragon

It's called the Shortest-Splitline Algorithm.

CGPGrey probably has the best explanation for a non CS student.

It does have some flaws, like it tends to split major municipalities into two and can't take into account geographic features. But that might be a good thing depending on who you ask. A good benefit of it though as when the algorithm is rerun it will take into account population changes from death/births etc. It also means that politicians will represent a mostly equal amount of people.

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On Real Time Bill Maher cited an example of how absurd this can get. In the recent House election, Pennsylvania had 18 seats up for election. More votes were cast for Democrats than Republicans in the state, yet only 5 Democrats won. Guest David Frumm offered that a big part of the problem was that there was no other democracy on Earth that puts elected officials in charge of the mechanics in this way.

Districts need to be drawn in such a way that elected officials represent people of both parties, not nice, safe nests of like-minded people.

I'd gladly see MSNBC get the ax if we could be assured the same fate would befall Fox and all the radio networks that employ Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and the like. I agree, the media feed the hyper-partisanship, on both sides.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They are good at covering the Niners vs. the Falcons and the Patriots against the Ravens, that is what the whole thing is now (maybe has been for a long while), a damn game. I have watched enough election night coverage to see this, the "score" breaking for one guy or the other, winners and losers. It is just a sport. Hence, stoking up the my team/your team rivalry and hatred just keeps the game going. There can be no compromise on the field, you score or you do not, and a tie is like kissing your sister.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Thanks for the reference. I get it. But, that brings up the whole Gerry-mander (invented in 1812) thing -- who is to say that physically compact districts provide better representation than gerrymandered districts? Geographic, and various kinds of proportional representation all have advantages in providing different kinds of representation.

[​IMG]

The article shows how to create physically compact districts, but, such districts might be quite unfair by many measures.

18. MorphingDragon, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

MorphingDragon

Gerrymandered districts are not fair by any measure except in the eyes of thickos. The whole point of gerrymandering is to give a particular political advantage. The split-line algorithm is systemically the fairest due to its flat population distribution and that no human bias is introduced. You can avoid getting long thin districts by changing which line you choose to get the desired ratio. You can get reasonably square looking districts if you take a "median line" instead of the longest or shortest. Not to mention that geographic based distributing is arbitrary as well on top of just being plain ****ed up, its already possible to move across town and be in a a different electorate.

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon