Boehner to Senate: Pass a budget or don't get paid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Article Link

Initial impression is that this is a very smart move on behalf of House Republican leadership, which is very out of character for them. We'll see if they find a way to screw this up.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem I see is how much BS in there. Boehner block bring up the budget time and time again.
    The GOP house also block the bill 2 years ago on the budget that would stop congressmen from getting paid during the shut down. Something that did pass the senate then.

So I see this an empty words. I say do away with the debt ceiling and make it over the budget. What I am tired off is GOP house holding the economy hostage every chance they get.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Don't budgets have to originate in the house? If they want to pass a budget in the senate, then the house needs to pass one that is actually reasonable and is capable of passing the senate. I'm sure there are enough moderate Dems in the senate that if the Republicans really wanted to pass something that they could use their 45 votes plus a few conservative Democrats to pass in the senate.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's the ultimate sign of Boehner's ineffectiveness as House leader.

5. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

That's a nice strategy if they could ever put their heads together and actually pass a budget. Seeing as how we haven't had on get through since 2009 I'm not holding my breath.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Very true. The "budgets" that passed the house were all a joke to begin with so yeah the house has not passed one either.
    The Senate had fillbuster issues.
    It is sad but that is what it has turned into.
    I think it is high time that they just shut it down and require a real budget be passed.

7. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

None of them have the stones for that. The leadership in both chambers is just pathetically inept and the President seems have hardly any influence anywhere (which will probably be lessened even further as we get into his lame duck term).

We have a bunch of politicians running the country right now....hardly any true leaders anywhere.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh so true. The best thing I think the president can do is say he will not sign any extension and will shut down the gov. He should pull the page from Clinton's book because it seem to work then.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Didn't Cantor lead the House in reciting the Constitution the other day? Did they read as far as the 27th Amendment or is he just pissing on our legs?

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They'll get around it by giving them all of their back pay once a budget is passed.

From the original article

11. chown33 macrumors 604

To become law, it must pass the House and Senate. Why would the Senate approve the bill? Are House Republicans really gonna use the debt limit threat as the card against withheld Congressional pay? Disparity much?

Too bad voters don't want Congress to pass a "we'll withhold our own pay" bill, they want it to pass a frickin' budget. If they can reach a compromise to withhold their own pay, they can stop playing party games and reach an actual budget compromise.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They can't pass a bill to withhold their own pay. It's unconstitutional.

13. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I'd consider myself a fiscal conservative and moderately social liberal.
    I couldn't agree with you more Ugg.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This might resonate with people who live hand to mouth, but it sure as **** won't for people who know better. Every one of these **** sticks has at least a couple million in assets.

15. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The upper level guys do for sure, but there a lot of back benchers that sleep in their office during the week because they can't afford a DC residence.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can't they claim for that on expenses?

17. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I would love to see how well a constitutional amendment would work if it said legislators must pass a balanced budget by a certain date, or their pay is not only withheld, but if they miss the deadline, they get docked in pay until they pass the budget.

When Congress has government workers take furlough days, Congress still gets paid, even when it's their own fault for not getting a balanced budget. So it's more important to pay them rather than paying soldiers in the military?

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I would like to see an amendment that lays out a binding framework for responsible budgets. I just doubt our leadership has the will. They are all too afraid they will be voted out of office.

The idea of passing new debt ceiling limits every 3 months is a joke. I understand that the Debt Ceiling increases are to pay for Federal spending that is all ready approved. However, I think the U.S. needs to take substantial steps so we don't have to keep raising the debt ceiling. Easier said than done? We can't allow our debt to keep spiraling upward.

Why is this so hard? I would cut our military spending in the range of 25-50%. That could be a good first start. And I do believe that entitlements will have to be adjusted to face the realities of our budgetary problems.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And you buy that line of ****? These guys make about $175K a year. They can clearly afford a place to live in DC if they wished.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True.

----------

To be fair to do that sensibly you'd need a fair few years to do it.

21. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't have to buy a line....I've seen it. $175k is a lot of money for sure, but paying for two residences, one of which being in one of the most expensive housing markets in the country, on that salary is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Boo ****ing Hoo. They don't need a residence, they need to share an apartment with a few other Reps. just like hundreds of other Reps. do. When did we start buying into this living in their office crap? It's nothing more than political gimmickry.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This should help the lower-level guys, tired of sleeping in their offices or struggling to pay bills at home, work very hard to get the upper-level guys to work out an actual budget.

If enough of the House members have this problem, they could band together and sack the leadership. Otherwise, they should invest in a very good office couch and suck it up.

There are Americans living in their cars and on the street, sleeping in a Congressional office pales in comparison.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That would actually make sense, as they merely need a place to crash while they're in DC.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The 2013 House calendar has them in session on 126 days or 239 days off. They don't have a single 5 day work week.

Even if you couldn't find an apartment to share, you could do 180 nights in a hotel for, let's say $18,000 or about 10% of their salary.