Boehner's Economic Terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 30, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Andrew Sullivan got this right.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I remember the GOP pledging to read the Constitution and include a reference to the part of the Constitution that authorized their actions. What part of the Constitition are the GOP members relying on now? Certainly not the 14th Amendment (See Geitner).

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The fact that the GOP is playing games is telling. Do your effing job

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Republicans want one thing and thats the white house and if they have to tear down our country to get it the bought off republican prostitutes will. Thats unAmerican. The Party of No ......unless you are big oil. Boehner is simply a puppet to big oil. He refuses compromise, lets hope Ohio has the brains to kick him out of office.
    Folks in Ohio should be asking him why he is giving breaks to big oil when they are making obscene billions? Why Mr Boehner? Im sure it has nothing to do with those campaign donations now does it?

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Republican motto of "Just Say No" to anything supportive of a democratic President is shameful. If the US defaults, I hope that Ohio kicks his butt out, because he has no right to represent, much less lead, anything.

This is Reagan's legacy. Hate for the sake of hate.

6. thefnshow macrumors regular

would you enable a drug addict by giving them money to buy drugs ? where was this fiscal responsibility on the dems part for the last 2 1/2 years...not counting the wars..i'm talking about everything else...dems have no credibility on this issue either...look at your party for the big part in the debt problem they caused...you can't keep denying they caused this problem and all of a sudden they magically give a crap ?

7. bradl, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

They couldn't hav ecaused something they were handed. Keep in mind that the housing bust and the financial meltdown was all given to them by the Reds, and the spending to stem that loss was compounded onto that.

It's akin to using a leech to suck the poisoned blood out of a patient. You cause them more pain by letting the leech latch on, but you get the bad blood out.

So you want to blame them for the immediate pain and not care about the longterm poison that is eating you alive.. and then you expect some magic panacea to handle all of it in short time.. Real nice logic there... :rolleyes:

Let's turn it around. Boehner and the Reds have had the show now for a while.. where are their results? Where are the jobs they promised? Where is the 'true leadership' they said was coming to town? None of the 'tea' partiers have produced any results either.

Like Obama said, in much more blunt language, Stop playing games, grow a pair, and do your job like your lot promised their constituents. Otherwise, expect to be voted out as quickly as they were voted in.

BL.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How about just giving them free drugs, and call it self-determination. :rolleyes:

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bingo...

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The recession wasn't caused by red or blues separately. They worked together with private corporations to create this mess.

I am not saying the debt ceiling should stay as is, but there needs to be some serious changes to tax code and spending or it would be foolish to raise it.

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

You do realize that everyone in the country is going to get hurt economically if they don't raise it right?

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The reality is much more complicated. Neither party has been particularly interested in balancing the budget in decades, but during Clinton's tenure, a mix of policies and economic success made a projected federal surplus possible.

However, George W. Bush reversed that course with a massive change in the tax code and followed it with two major conflicts, not to mention huge boondoggles to companies like Haliburton and KBR, while simultaneously creating huge new federal programs like Medicare Part D.

Then, the economy imploded—mostly because the economy was driven by credit rather than real value—and we end up with this huge and growing deficit.

So, Democrats are to blame because of entitlements, but those existed in 1999, the real problem is Republican policies over the last decade and economic policy which is slowly starving the middle class while the wealthiest continue to gain real wealth.

That's not a party issue, but one party is far more interested in pursuing policies which have failed us for ten years. The other seems completely unable to make an argument, much less real policies.

I agree.

The reality is the GOP is holding the United States hostage to get cuts to the federal government and that's not leadership. Cuts need to be made, but arguing over the debt limit is IMHO hurting the economic recovery.

13. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Tax on millionaires is a "tax hike on millionaires".
    Tax on everyone else is a "revenue enhancement".
    More word tailoring. We're all going to have to pay.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

We had a budget deficit during the Clinton years....

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Blaming an entire recession on one president is foolish. Many policy changes that went through in clintons administration led to the collapse.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I personally believe the GOP wants the economy to fail for hopes that they can get the white house. Lets face it they care about nothing but themselves and do not care who they hurt or even kill to get what they want.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

In a lot of respects this is true, most are millionaires so whatever happens they feel nothing, Boehner is representing millionaires and Big Oil again they feel nothing. There is only 1 thing they feel and thats just for a brief moment and thats the peoples vote! After that brief moment they are back to representing their campaign donors so for Boehner its back to Big Oil.

Just did a search looks like old John got $350,000.00 in campaign donations from corporate Oil interests. Wonder why he keeps saying keep the loopholes for them?

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is fairly true of almost the politication. There is a reason why I believe calling them scum of the earth is an insult to the scum of the earth. Hell they make being scum of the earth look good.
    There is a special place in hell for most of them.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Just did a search looks like old John got $350,000.00 in campaign donations from corporate Oil interests."

So? Goldmann-Sachs gave several million dollars to the Democrats. So what? Should I believe that the present monetary policies have resulted from that, to the benefit of Goldmann-Sachs?

If the debt ceiling is raised--for the umpteenth time in the history of the debt ceiling--then these huge deficits will continue. That means interest rates will rise (in order to persuade buyers to buy) along with the principal amount, and an ever-larger portion of the federal budget will go to paying the interest on the debt. With SS, etc., fixed, that means ever-smaller discretionary spending.

It also means further degradation of the buying power of the dollar, so that social transfer and retirement money buys less and less at the grocery store.

But, NOT raising the debt limit has its own problems. There is at present a $134.3 billion cash shortfall that has to be funded with debt. Then, there is a far greater risk. $467.4 billion worth. This is the amount of existing debt that matures through August 31, and has to be rolled over or the US is bankrupt...in every sense of the word. Short-term bonds mature, and if you don't have the cash you have to borrow enough (sell more bonds) to pay the face value plus the interest.

So far, neither Obama's nor Ryan's ideas, separately or jointly, have the chance of a snowball in Hell of dealing with our $$$ problems. It's a numbers thing...

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Desert Rat my point is how all these guys are just bought off prostitutes, the smarter companys simply BUY both sides of the isle through campaign donations. We all know Goldmann sachs did this hence them owning all of our govt and then getting billions of our tax dollars. I think Obama got bought off too by Goldmann sachs. Its sickening.

Big Oil owns both sides of the isle of prostitutes, what else can you call these guys.

21. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

If we raised the debt limit, then politicians would no longer be focused on cuts. The government spends every penny it gets, plus some.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but the key is the debt ceiling vote was never a huge political deal until now and that is because the GOP has descided yet again to hold the entire country hostage. I honestly believe that Obama and dems first mistake was bending to the dems on the Bush tax cuts. Then they bent against on government shut down.

Obama should of let the government shut down and then point the finger at the GOP for not willing to give in. GOP is the party of no and they will basicly hold everything else hostage to get what they want.
    I have a feeling Obama dems are going to cave to the GOP yet again because it is a little to big to let it happen.

But come the 2012 budget the dems should hold the line and shut the government down and refuse to give in to the insane demands.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I was flipping channels and caught Maddow talking about the current talks. She said that originally in order to raise the ceiling, the GOP wanted 85% in spending cuts and 15% in new taxes. The Dems then proposed 83% in spending cuts and 17% in new taxes. After the Dems made that proposal, the GOP changed theirs to 100% spending cuts.

If all that is to be believed( this is coming from the Fox News of the left), then that does show the GOP only cares for themselves. Screw everyone else in the way......

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well even if the dems gave them the 85/15 they would of changed it to 100%

Simple fact is GOP refuses to have the pain shared by everyone. It is make the poor and middle class suffer and reduce the pain for the rich.
    If you can brib GOP they will help you out. Other wise it is screw you for all it is worth.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Opportunists, with no regard for anyone but themselves.

Hey, whatever it takes to get through life, with the most creature comforts.

Right?? :rolleyes: