Bon Jovi Blames Steve Jobs For Ruining Music Industry

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SandboxGeneral, Mar 17, 2011.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, I think Bon Jovi's argument is unfounded. The experience of buying an album "blindly" without knowing what it sounds like compared to getting a preview in iTunes to see if you like it is silly.

I don't miss that at all, in fact I never thought about it until now. I actually like getting a preview before I buy, so I can decide to buy a couple of songs or the entire album.

I think iTunes has done more to boost sales of music then ever before. Bon Jovi should be thanking Steve and Apple instead of bashing them.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, or not, but I've bought more music in iTunes then I ever did on cassette or CD.

2. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Being the same age as Mr. Jovi, I too have fond memories of buying albums with at least 7 or 8 good songs and 2 or 3 throwaways. Sadly, around the time of the CD, all we got were 2 or 3 good songs and 7-8 throwaways, much like Mr. Jovi's back catalog.

I do give him credit for tying it to Steve Jobs as it guarantees him press coverage. :rolleyes:

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I've read this a few other places. While I agree that Itunes will never be the same as walkign into a record store to buy the whole album, Itunes has generated so much revenue to the record studios that its not even funny. I think it's time that Jovi wakes up and gets with it. Maybe artist should start putting out albums that are worth purchasing the entire thing versus just a select few good songs..:cool:

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

He left out the part when he walked 10 hours in the snow everyday.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please. How utterly ridiculous. Change or get left behind!

The record business ruined the record business by overcharging people for CDs and putting out mostly crappy music!

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Exactly, QFT, this, what have ya.

Mr. Bon Jovi should be happy that iTunes exists to sell his music one song at a time, instead of having all his profits lost to piracy.

Physical media is on its way out, sad to say. I do like a physical product myself, but not at the exorbitant prices in most brick-and-mortar stores. The only new full-length CDs I've bought in the past year were only for artists of which I'm a true hardcore fan (e.g. Howard Jones, Provision), and I bought directly from the artist. Everything else was obtained by used CD, usually bargain-bin, or online.

That said, the only real profit for music artists these days is through live performance. Get your butt on stage, Jon!

Uphill. Barefoot. Both ways. :D

9. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

So what he's saying is that no one would buy Bon Jovi's music based on the way it sounds. Instead, they relied upon pretty album covers to deceive listeners into buying their music on blind faith?

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Kids these days. Why i remember when... Hershey Bars were a nickel!. A nickel!

Darn progress ruins everything.

( i sure do like this Mac though )

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Clear Channel ruined music by making it an industry.

12. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I don't know about music, but I will agree that Clear Channel has run roughshod over terrestrial radio. So many channels offering the same bland crap, repeated every three hours ad nauseam. I gave up on radio almost two decades ago.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've got far more music on cd than ive ever bought on itunes.

However ive got about 10x the amount of music on mp3 that i've acquired from miscellaneous places than i do on cd.

Steve jobbs didnt kill the music industry, the music industry partially destoryed itself by charging too much for cd's and dvd's (I remember a new cd being about £17.99 when i was younger), so fans downloaded for free, and the music industry had to find a way to charge, hence companies like apple stepped into the fray.

Bon jovi hasnt got a clue, and still comes up with the most painful twee music ive ever heard.

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

And here's me thinking it was the load of **** music people were producing these days.

15. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Bon Jovi needs to stop partying with Charlie Sheen.

16. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Definitely not that... :rolleyes:
    Actually, it's rather sad what people will buy these days.

Regardless, Bon Jovi is an idiot who's looking for free publicity. I saw this and immediately thought of Bono.

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

His argument can be re-phrased as:

"I blame Steve Jobs for allowing customers to try before they buy which is preventing me from scamming buyers into buying my poor quality music with a flashy cover"

I find it hard to have sympathy with that.

18. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Absolutely. Bon Jovi can't handle the tiger blood. Sizzle, losing, bye! :D

19. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Wonder why Bon Jovi didn't blast the 900+ boy bands or 15000 Britney Spears wannabees?:rolleyes:

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The music industry was ruined long before Clear Channel appeared on the scene.

21. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I also blame Thomas Edison for ruining the kerosene lantern industry and the sheet music industry.

...gray haired chubby bumble head, someone should have punched him in the nose.

22. zenio macrumors 6502

The beat goes on.

People like Steve know how to get into peoples pockets.

23. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Agreed. As ironic as it sounds, Apple gave people a choice in music acqusitions. I know sounds crazy. Choice & Apple. Who would've figured. Buy a crazy expensive CD, steal the music & get sued, legally rip your cd to computer & get sued or buy drm'd music (though we hate drm) & have legal indemnification. As far as I know, nobody with music acquired from iTunes has been touched by the RIAA goon squad. CYA was my reason for moving to iTunes.

24. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

lmfao. :d

25. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

When I first read this on ABC, I thought of Prince (or whatever symbol he refers to himself these days) saying the Internet is dead and he will never allow his music to be sold that way. What a moron... He has no idea how much money he is losing with that attitude.