Boo hoo: Cindy McCain offended by Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ntombi, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

link

Story:
    Obama was exactly right: it's not about the wealth, it's about the fact that he's completely out of touch.

Anyone who thinks that one has to make at least $5mm to get out of the middle class doesn't get it.

Anyone who can't remember how many homes (not investment properties) he has doesn't get it.

There are many very wealthy people who do get it. McCain happens not to be one.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh cry me a river. Your husband says Obama is a traitor to his nation, and you want to complain about being attacked over your wealth? Too funny.

Here's some $550/lb cheese to go with that whine...

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well said. :D

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Give them a break. McCain only has $40.4m. It's a wonder he can afford to eat.

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

while I don't have any problem with the rethoric either way, lets be accurate. McCains wealth is not his it is Cindy's, they do have a prenup.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Heehee! :) That just made me giggle for some reason. :D

7. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Which makes it worse, IMO. He didn't grow up this wealthy, he spent the first 40+ years of his life in the upper middle class, yet he's become this oblivious to the lives of 99% of Americans because of money he has nothing to do with.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It makes this even more pathetic.

It should be noted that Obama's wealth is $1.3m. That's about 550k for us Brits. Not an obscene amount compared to a lot of people that work in the city or are medium sized business owners.

He's by no means poor, but he's not got money to burn like McCain.

9. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ntombi

And most of that came from book sales.

And let's not forget Biden's vast personal wealth of $150k, including the equity in his home.

Again, I don't care about someone's personal wealth, that's not the point at all, and I don't begrudge them anything; it's the way McCain's allowed that to wealth insulate him from the struggles of most Americans, and then turn around and call Barack Obama elitist. :rolleyes: Give me a break.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I guess she can go back to cry while flying home on her private jet.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And also call Americans whiners.

12. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

That's absolutely right. Whilst I'm for tougher taxes on the rich, I don't begrudge people wealth. ****, I'd love to win the lottery on Friday and bag myself £92m. It wouldn't make me change my principles, though. It wouldn't make me any less working class.

If McCain can't remember how many houses he's got, then he's not going to understand the day to day problems that normal folk have.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And inheriting your wealth and title typifies the British dream the founders revolted against.

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Not really the British dream is it?

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

So am I out of touch with most of the world's starving population when I forget what I ate for breakfast? I fail to see how an old guy forgetting a number has anything to do with being president. Then again, all's fair in love and war; there's certainly no love on either side here, so...

16. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well it's either a sign he's out of touch, a sign he's bad with numbers, or a sign he's developed memory problems. None of which is exactly what I look for in a President.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Unless you consider breakfast and expensive homes to be in the same league, then no.

With a record number of foreclosures/repossessions, don't you think it's slightly detached to hear him say that he doesn't remember how many houses he owns.

For many people, a house is the most expensive thing they will ever own. They normally only ever own one at a time, if they are lucky. To have that rammed in their face is akin to you complaining how you couldn't eat all your breakfast, to a group of staving Ethiopians.

It's not just a number. It's being so rich that you don't know how many houses you own.

I'm not sure about you, but I'd prefer the most powerful leader in the world to be able to account for the things he owns before he is let loose with an economy, nuclear stock piles and foreign policy.

People say that it's just '4 more years' of Bush. They are wrong, it'll be much worse.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

Or... he just forgot a number. Everyone does it. Doesn't matter if it's a GPA, salary, price of gas, number of dog poop piles on your lawn, how many times you've flown first class, etc. I'd bet good money that I could ask Barrack similar questions and he'd come up blank on something, too. I wouldn't start attacking him for that, though.

Same league? no. A necessity that we have better access to than many others? Definitely yes.

No, not really. Not being able to recall something instantly on the spot, especially when you're as old as he is, has nothing to do with the economic situation.

Who cares how "rich" he is? It seems that in America, any person A who has $10 more than person B is considered to be rich. Let me ask you this: does he not know how many houses he owns, or did he simply fail to recall the number on the spot?

*rushes off to find someone that never forgets stuff, like the guy that memorized the NYC phonebook!*

Since you know what will happen in the future, will my US Airways stock go up or down when trading resumes on Tuesday?

Please note that I have no affiliation with either candidate. Personally, I think that they're both full of nonsense. Forgetting something that's nobody else's business --and has absolutely nothing to do with the task at hand-- shouldn't really matter to anyone. Everyone forgets stuff, who cares? The number of houses one owns (also the ability to remember that number) has nothing to do with what kind of leader that they'll be.

American politics is a game. Regardless of what either one of these bozos says, they're playing the game just like everyone always has. Make irrelevant attacks here and there. Promise everyone unrealistic things. Base actions based on what will let you win, not on what you yourself believe in. It's all garbage.

In conclusion, Tony Blair for President in 2009!

19. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Well when Obama attacked over the 7 houses, it was really Cindy's houses. John McCain couldn't remember how many houses his wife owned (because the prenup separates their finances) so he didn't know how many they own together and that's what caused the gaffe.

But when Michelle Obama was attacked Obama whined and said "leave my wife out of this"
    http://lonestartimes.com/2008/05/19/obama-leave-my-wife-out-of-this/

20. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I love how you're using old age as an excuse, when his campaign is trying hard to get everyone to forget how old he is. :p

Yeah, that's exactly the same. :rolleyes: Do you give yourself whiplash? Cause I know you're confusing the hell out of me. Try to stick with the same position for two days in a row, k?

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Exactly. They aren't even his houses. If my wife had her own thing going involving real estate, and that didn't really interest me, I wouldn't keep track of how many houses she owned either.

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Now apply that to the "all 57 states" remark please.:rolleyes:

I want to know, is it more important for a president to know how many states there are or how many houses he wife has.
    I know which I would pick.

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did he ever explain that?

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

Can't argue with a 400% increase in the two months since I bought them. :)