"Boo Hoo Hoo" - New Jersey College Fires Black Professor For Making Racist Remarks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

How do you feel about this? I'm a little surprised she was terminate, but can see the school's point of view.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

If she was representing the school on the show - she should have kept to her talking points..

Not sure she should have been fired. But that's their call. Glad I didn't have to make it.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I feel she came across with a crappy attitude and got what she deserved. Perhaps a bit harsh but it's time the harshness gets delivered back to those that have begun to think this is appropriate. Next time she should just answer the dang question and talk less.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Interesting. I honestly thought if you replied that you would appreciate her non-PC attitude.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yea that lady needed to go..

Public lynching, rape victim??? Go pound sand prof

7. tgara, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Sadly, there are many like that in Academia.... My own view is that we need to review the whole concept of tenure and the concept of "academic freedom" which many of these professors use to justify and hide behind their bigoted actions and words. I understand why most colleges and universities have these policies and they work well when implemented correctly, but many academics abuse them. That needs to stop.

8. oneMadRssn, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

People don't and shouldn't get fired just for one comment like that. Obviously there was a history and a pattern that isn't included in the reporting, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

yeah, the students and others from outside should just riot on campus, shout down those that oppose them, cause a scene and get it all into the major nightly news stations while demanding they are fired.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It's interesting how the tired as starting to turn here in academia with enforcing appropriate language.

A couple weeks ago at Trinity College in Connecticut a professor tweeted some comments that would be offensive to white people and referenced an article called "Just Let Them Die" (suggesting oppressed people should not save white people). The result was a massive amount of backlash, the campus had to be shut down, and I think the professor is now on leave.

The professor should really get to know his audience at Trinity though. It's one of the most expensive schools in the country with the richest students. It's super preppy, predominantly white, and parents/alum have a lot of influence over the school with their wallets. I would expect nothing less than extreme backlash.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

minorities can't be racist.............. pay your reparations and shut up :mad:

SARCASM people.........................< just in case your meter is down :eek:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---
    she was being an ass, but fired seems a tad much unless she had a history of being an ass.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

She seems to have some anger. I would have suggested counciling instead of firing unless it was a pervasive characteristic. Her comment you posted about the "white privilege card" seemed to come out of the blue.

13. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Her post-firing comments pretty much confirm that she was appropriately terminated.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

She was only an Adjunct Professor (lowest ranked) so it's pretty much a given that you have a short leash. Only a Professor (2nd highest ranked) or higher can get away with stuff like that. Hail, they can lecture to a class in their underwear and still won't get fired (or so he claimed). That was my old Organic Chemistry teacher.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm siding with Lisa Durden on this one. She's right, and that fact that she's fired is proof. Now everyone wants to make the phrase "white privilege" sound like a racial attack. GTFOH!!!

Honestly I'm amazed that some of the very same people, parties, and organized groups that support shop owners to ban blacks and gays from their stores, are now the same ones that scream racism when whites are excluded from an event catered to blacks.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

whites only even would be deemed racist,,,,,,,, but blacks only is NOT racist? :rolleyes:

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Outside of your one-off random google search of podunk idaho, can you show me where shop owners are trying to ban blacks?

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Depends on whether or not it's a one showing only blacks-only invite to the latest Tyler Perry movie

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Actually no it wouldn't. We are talking about an event, not something based on consumerism nor a tax sponsored event. As a black man, I wouldn't mind if there was a Chinese Only event, Whites Only event, and etc. I didn't even mind Women's Only gyms.
    So you're telling me to link a source, but don't link a source at the same time. :rolleyes:

20. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So you can't. Got it.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think unpaid leave and mandatory counseling would have been appropriate, but I can't be mad about her getting fired. What she said was clearly racist and quite stupid.
    Explain to me why white people can't attend a "Black Lives Matter" event?

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Those who rail against 'political correctness' celebrating the firing of academics due to considerations of political correctness. I suppose take that as a tacit admission that being 'politically incorrect' can be hurtful to others. Progress.

23. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

An event that ONLY allows certain races? I'm against that. If it's an event for Chinese or for Blacks or for Whites, but others are allowed to join. I'm for that. If it's a Chinese event, Blacks or Whites won't get the full enjoyment because of natural cultural barriers, but that can't be helped. I'm opposed to a full ban.

A woman's only gym, I can support. I have heard from numerous women who hate regular gyms because they're get views as pieces of meat. The ladies are there to work out, not get hit on.

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think there is a line between being "politically incorrect" and being a bigot.