Booking a hotel...pay in $ or £/€

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jul 28, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to London and Berlin next year, and I was wondering what the best way to pay for a hotel room is now.

I can book it on a site like Expedia and pay when I book in US Dollars, that way, if the dollar tanks even further by the time I take my trip, no problem. Someone's probably getting screwed by the exchange rate, but it's not me. Or, I can do it the more traditional way and pay in Pounds and Euros when I check out, but if the dollar officially reaches the bottom of the toilet, I'm going to be screwed. Of course, if the dollar makes a comeback, if I book through Expedia, I lose, and if I pay in GPB/EUR, I come out ahead.

So, if you were in my position, which route would you take? Going the Expedia route guarantees that I won't have any nice surprises by the time I travel, but I could also be out some money if the dollar increases in value. It's really just a gamble....so what's your advice? Thanks

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Personal opinion, as that England is the country your visiting, pay on line in $$ but in person in pounds. Not sure how into Euros England is.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The Euros are for Germany ;)

4. mpw Guest

If paying in £/€ you're gonna need to buy them at some point anyway, so it's a case of when to pay rather than in which currency isn't it?

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Not necessarily.

Say a hotel would cost me £200. If I book it through Expedia right now, I would pay Expedia approx. $400, which is the current exchange rate. The room would be booked and paid for, so if the dollar tanks, it's not my problem. If I do it the more traditional route and pay when I check out of the hotel, I would pay them £200, but if the dollar's doing even worse then, it might end up costing me $500.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Book it now through Expedia. But it's sort of funny. Part of the problem with the dollar is supply. Too much supply and here you are pumping more $ into foreign markets. :)

7. l4t13 macrumors regular

I think the dollar has delayed its run down for a while. The euro has been under bearish pressure due to weak data in Eurozone. I also think the fed raises rates before year end giving the dollar some minor bullish strength. I think most technicals point to a minor dollar rebound or at least a dollar stabilization. I am a commodities trader though, not forex; therefore, take my post as just rambling. I guess you can't go wrong either was. I don't think any move, bullish or bearish, will greatly increase or decrease the price you pay. I just don't see the dollar moving that far up or down, at least until this mess is straightened out in housing.