Boom... How a company played the whole iPhone rumor industry for fools

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

http://day4.se/how-we-screwed-almost-the-whole-apple-community/

Looks like these guys played a little experiment on whether or not we were gullible enough to believe a random rumor and every rumor site bit :p

Makes you really stop and think about the validity of these taller iPhone 5 rumors :rolleyes:

P.S. don't care about hearing whether you didn't believe the rumors or not, anyone could easily say they didn't to try and appear smart with no way of verifying it.

Edit: Here's another article detailing the rumor sites falling for anything http://gigaom.com/apple/how-an-apple-rumor-gets-made/

2. boronathan macrumors 6502

Lol the folks at Apple must have been like wtf is this when they saw that rumor

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Heh, maybe they had a lawyer look into the patents.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Doesn't change my thoughts on the rumors. The rendering of the screw was the first time we had seen or heard of that. It had no substance. We've been seeing these iPhone 5 display and hardware leaks for a few months and they've been so consistent. They have actual rumors to go along with them and even videos. THEY have substance, not a one-time rendering of a redesigned screw that anyone can make with 3D rendering software.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL an "actual rumor" i love it.

I can almost hear a fomer boss ramping up a fairly decent copy of "well isn't that special..."

6. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

"But but but... those iPhone 5 mockups are totally the real thing though!" :rolleyes:

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Seeing as how the iPhone 5 rumors have come about in a totally different way, no, it really doesn't make me think at all.

(Had you made your point with "the Apple television," yeah, I'd have agreed with you. But the iPhone 5 is a poor choice to argue here.)

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Still amazes me how rumours can gain so much momentum with little or no fact !

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's scary how fast and easy misinformation spreads on the internet. I remember when Bin Laden was killed, and an incorrect MLK quote (accidentally mashed with a Facebook status) spread like a virus.

10. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know right? Why don't we make a mockup of a short but FAT iPhone 5 and spread the rumors the same way the taller iPhone 5 rumors have spread? :p

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

ok...but this really doesn't say anything about the parts we have seen videos of...after reading the first few comments I thought it was going to be something about how the videos and everything were faked.

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

It would be put off as false until we saw parts, videos, and other rumors supporting it. Until then, we would have no reason to believe it.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's different to have a rumor based on renders compared to having the actual housing and logic board of the phone. I agree, though, people are gullible and will take a rumor for fact even when it lacks sufficient evidence.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

This is a classic. An actual rumor as opposed to an imagined rumor? :confused:

15. batting1000 macrumors 604

No. Actual rumors as in multiple ones from reliable sites with reliable sources. Not some run of the mill site that claims a certain device will be released on some random date (unless other sites can confirm it).

16. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Yeah but nothing has been confirmed...

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Heck, even when all the facts ARE available to check, almost no one ever does.

Easy examples:

1) The recent brouhaha over Google supposedly asking the government to make Apple's patents public domain. (Nope, not even close. All you had to do was read their statement to see that the headlines were totally made up out of thin air.)

2) All the headlines saying, "Apple gets patent on multi-touch!" every time any kind of touch related patent comes out. (The trouble is, people don't read the claims which are the only thing patented. They also look at all the pretty pictures included in the description of a device that uses the patent.)

There's almost nobody out there with the deep knowledge to be a real tech reporter these days. Most just echo what everyone else says, no matter how ridiculous.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

That's not how I meant it. "Confirm" as it other sites "support" the rumor or have sources who are hearing the same information.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is a downside to the internet.

20. LoloBond, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

LoloBond macrumors 6502

I prefer not to believe in this rumor. This rumor is coming from China where they can copy/duplicate anything withing days... Last year there was a similar rumor about the 4s no as strong as this one but it end up been nothing.

I work in the electronics component business and China counterfeiters are screwing up all markets big time.

21. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

And I have doubts about the first part.

22. kyellowness macrumors regular

Sad, but so true. :(

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I really don't care if you care or not. Live by the rumors/die by the rumors. Precisely why I don't count on them. Nothing matters to me if it isn't an official announcement. It has nothing to do with "appearing smart" so much as maintaining reasonable expectations. Anyone griping about hype only has his/her self to blame for it.

24. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Isn't it always assumed that you take every rumour with a grain of salt?

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I never even heard of this rumor, but I must say the premise of this thread is a little ridiculous. With this screw, we have a 2D blueprint of said product. With the current taller iPhone leaks we have physical bits and pieces of the purported phone. The latter is just a bit (read a hell of a lot) more convincing than some picture. We know what the next gen phone is going to look like. Keep holding onto your hopes though if you must, just like so many did with the iPhone 4. :rolleyes: