"BOOM" sound-enhancer app for Mac -- What's the deal with this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lip5016, Oct 12, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

http://download.cnet.com/Boom/3000-2139_4-75337764.html#editorsreview

"Boom works mostly in the background to enhance the audio quality of anything you're playing on your Mac. You can adjust the program's settings any way you want and at any time, and you'll likely be impressed at the increased clarity this app provides."

It's also supposed to be able to allow users to exceed normal volume limits (like the max volume output on your MacBook Pro built-in speakers..

I'm a little weary of this though.. Enhances audio quality? Is that just a clever marketing way of saying "it compresses the **** outta your audio to make it seem louder"?

Thoughts?

2. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

I really like the app and it basically gives you a sound equalizer across the entire computer rather than just the EQ in iTunes.

The problem I have and why I uninstalled it was that you could not choose a default sound output option.

My setup I have some Klipsh 2.1 speakers so in OS X they show up as 'Headphones' under the sound output because they connect through the headphone jack on the rear of the computer.

I also have 2 external monitors connected mDP - HDMI, well those monitors have built-in speakers that I never use but once my computer goes to sleep and I wake it, Boom usually sends the sound through one of the extrnal monitor speakers or to the internal iMac speakers which are disabled if you have anything connected to the headphone jack.

Basically once I wake my computer I would have to remember to always choose my sound output.

If they would give a default output option I would reinstall the app in a second, I really like how much better youtube, hulu, netflix, etc sounded by going through Boom's EQ.