Boot Camp 3 x64 not supported on Macbook Pro Santa Rosa - Thank you Apple!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weckart, Aug 28, 2009.

1. weckart macrumors 68040

Whilst being supported under the last BC drivers available with Leopard Install DVD 10.5.6, Apple has decided that there is no need for any further support for Windows x64 on the Macbooks and Macbooks Pro prior to 2008. So no HFS+ read support in Windows for us, then. Since Microsoft has dumped i386 for its server line and it is pretty clear that Windows 7 is the last 32 bit release from Microsoft, it makes sense to install the 64 bit version now for easier upgrading in the future. Plus you actually get to use the 4GB of ram installed in your machines.

So why this retrograde step Apple, particularly as you were trumpeting the virtues of 64 bit processing in your own latest offering?

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I am honestly pretty upset with Apple over this whole 64-bit issue. We kept hearing about it from Apple. Now it comes time for Snow Leopard, and they refuse to write all the drivers for 64-bit from the last lousy three years! Seriously, it has been three years since the Intel switch, and Apple thinks it's too burdened to care for all of the customers from 2007??? WTF?

And then all of these 64-bit capable Macs are defaulting to 32 bit Kernel... WTF?

Maybe Apple didn't come out and say the kernel will be 64-bit in all Macs, BUT WTF??? It's very misleading.

And I don't care that people are saying it doesn't matter, or it's slower... that's because Apple didn't do the work!!!

Very ticked! Microsoft is way ahead with tech going forward with Windows 7 64-bit. I know Apple rewrote all the apps in 64-bit, but why not care about the OS itself?

"It doesn't matter" is the favorite saying of everyone defending Apple. Stop defending Apple, they're just trying to sell more Macs! People that have a MB that's three months old need to upgrade to a 13" MBP if they want 64-bit, and there you have the real reason Apple is doing this... for more sales! Screw the customers!

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm not too concerned with OS X (although it still sucks) but I was really looking for 64-bit Windows support especially seeing all the Mid-2009 MacBook Pro's problems with Boot Camp and Drivers. Although I would love for Windows to utilize all 4GB of RAM, I'm sticking with 32-bit XP/7 until there is some new development in terms of drivers.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

To answer your questions:

64-bit kernel only makes sense if your using 32GB of RAM or more. Donyou know of any Mac that uses more than 32GB oriented at consumers? No.

Hence makes no sense to give us the 64-bit kernel when the current one can give us support up to 32GB RAM support. Remember even though the kernel can't address more than 3GB, all other applications can; which is the point.

So there is no need for 64-bit OS X kernel at the moment. As for Windows. It's a pile of Fail that I run only to play games and a machine with 3.3GB RAM in Windows can run all current decent games

5. d5280 macrumors newbie

you can do it

You can install boot camp 3.0 on windows x64 santa rosa.

1. open command prompt in administrator mode
    2. type "net user administrator /active:yes" hit enter
    3. log out then log in as "administrator"
    4. then open cd and navigate to "bootcamp/drivers/apple/"
    5. run "bootcampx64"
    6. once done reboot, logback in and turn off administrator account by entering "net user administrator /active:no"

viola! boot camp 3.0 on x64

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

or you can disable UAC. same thing.

7. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

I'm GLAD they're defaulting to 32-bit kernels. Do you have any idea why apple chose to have them default to 32 bit kernels?

CONSUMER DEVICES!

Apple can't write drivers for my older (3 years old) HP printer, or my 3 yr old drawing tablet that aren't compatible with an 64 bit Mac OS, considering this is the first 64-bit kernel OSX has ever had.

Can you imagine the outrage if people installed snow leopard all of their devices stopped working?

See, its fine to default the Xserves to 64-bit kernels because they wont have any consumer devices attached to cause problems, and if there is a problem, I'm sure the administrator can straighten it out and switch to 32 bit mode.

Maybe with OS 10.7, Apple will default 64-bit because device manufactures will have had enough time to write drivers for a 64 bit kernel. Not to mention you don't need a kernel that can take advantage of over 64 GB of RAM. so chill.

P.S. you don't need 64-bit Windows to use more than 3.3 GB of RAM

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/08/25/1818215/Behind-the-4GB-Memory-Limit-In-32-Bit-Windows

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

9. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Valid points. So, can I chose which kernel I will use? And given that I don't use any devices needing drivers, do I gain anything performance wise?

10. weckart thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. That did the trick. Apart from a pointless warning about incompatibility with this software version, (as if the 2.1 drivers were likely to be more compatible), they installed without a hitch. Now I can read my Mac drive.

Makes you wonder why Apple made it so difficult for no good reason.

11. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Glad I found this thread before installing SL tomorrow!

Windows 7 64 bit here.

I think someone should construct an email to Apple tech support and/or I'll submit one to Bug Reporting...

12. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

Thanks for the tips. Beginning to like my Macbook more after a couple hardware upgrades, SL, and Windows 7.

13. ede3 macrumors newbie

Thanks to the instructions from d5280, I was able to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with Boot Camp 3.0 build 2058 on my Santa Rosa MacBook Pro and it has worked perfectly (so far, at least). I wanted to explain the process in a bit more detail to make it easier for less technical users like myself. I used:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM (release to manufacturing) version burned to DVD.
    Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and Snow Leopard DVD. Mine contained Boot Camp 3.0 build 2058 (I only discovered the build # after it was already installed).
    Steps:
    1. Run Boot Camp Assistant to partition your drive and install Windows 7 x64. There are no special steps here.

2. While the Boot Camp instructions tell you to insert your OS X DVD, you first need to follow the steps given by d5280, which I will elaborate here. ayeying noted that this was the same as disabling UAC (User Access Control), but I tried just disabling UAC without following d5280's method and Boot Camp wouldn't install. Leaving it disabled, I then tried d5280's method and it worked. Not exactly a controlled experiment, but it can't hurt to do both for the purposes of installing Boot Camp (don't forget to turn UAC back on if you want to use it).

A. Make sure you're logged into Windows 7 as an administrator. If you just installed and setup one user account, you are an administrator.
    B. Open command prompt (Start menu > type "cmd" in search box).
    C. In prompt, type "net user administrator /active:yes" and hit enter. It should tell you the command was successful.
    D. Log out. On the login screen, you should now see 2 accounts: (1) the account you setup when installing Windows and (2) Administrator. Choose Administrator.
    E. Once logged in, insert your OS X DVD and navigate to the folder "bootcamp/drivers/apple/" and run "BootCamp64". d5280 referred to "bootcampx64", but it was called BootCamp64 on my DVD. The installer will run and install all device drivers for your Mac.
    F. Once this has completed, restart and login to your account. Again open the command prompt and type "net user administrator /active:no" and hit enter. Again it should tell you the command was successful. Now the Administrator account will no longer appear as a login option.

3. Done.

Hope that helps someone.