Boot Camp in Mojave

Ludge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Honolulu
Can't get bootcamp to install on my spanking brand new 2018 MBPro 15 with i9, 1 TBhd, and Vega 20 graphics. Can't find any specific support for this model. I want to try some windows benchmarks with Vega20.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
Can't get bootcamp to install on my spanking brand new 2018 MBPro 15 with i9, 1 TBhd, and Vega 20 graphics. Can't find any specific support for this model. I want to try some windows benchmarks with Vega20.
You'd have to give more details about any errors or the problem concerning not being able to install via Boot Camp. Or, maybe you were just creating a thread to complain without wanting a solution or troubleshooting steps to resolve.

Ludge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Honolulu
upload_2018-11-22_15-22-30.jpeg

You'd have to give more details about any errors or the problem concerning not being able to install via Boot Camp. Or, maybe you were just creating a thread to complain without wanting a solution or troubleshooting steps to resolve.
Thanks for responding and I’m definitely looking for help in this instance. Should be a screen shot here of my Mac and the errors displayed.
[doublepost=1542922291][/doublepost]As far as the changes request Mac is making refers to removing boot camp partion which did not work either. I had to remove the partion myself with disc utility.

Attachments

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
I've received that same error whenever attempting to use Windows 10 October Update 1809. The issue was resolved with using version 1803 and shouldn't be a problem with prior releases. At the link below, you have the choice of either version. Select the April Update 1803. Of course, you'll need to recover your partition with Boot Camp if you are wanting to use the assistant in order to start all over.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

BTW. If you deleted the partition, then you should be able to restart and use Boot Camp to recover that newly partitioned space. Again, I would start all over and you shouldn't have an issue with 1803 on 10.14.x.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
View attachment 805962

Thanks for responding and I’m definitely looking for help in this instance. Should be a screen shot here of my Mac and the errors displayed.
[doublepost=1542922291][/doublepost]As far as the changes request Mac is making refers to removing boot camp partion which did not work either. I had to remove the partion myself with disc utility.
Unfortunately I cannot give you any solution.
Just be aware that Bootcamp is a miserable piece of software no matter what MacOS you use.
I fought for over two weeks with it being in High Sierra and trying even every downgrade I had up to Yosemite:(
I even requested phone help from Apple which was generously given to me by a very kind and patient supporter although my Apple Care finished long ago.
My advice is to contact Apple Support and hope to find a kind and helpful supporter with enough knowledge and a lot of patience or look for an Apple shop, again hoping the so called "Genius" you will find there will have enough knowledge and enough patience.
Being such a new computer they are bound to help you.
Just take into account that many users in this forum advice to make virtual machines with Windows inside in order to avoid that crap of Bootcamp. :eek:
Sorry for not being useful and good luck.
Ed

P.S. I see that you have received already a suggestion to try the previous Windows 10 release and hope it will work for you as suggested. I wish you a lot of good luck.
Still I am convinced that Bootcamp is at least a serious part of the problem since it should be able to restore your partition to one whole piece in order to try again the Assistant. However in my case I had to use disk utility after booting from an external clone, erase everything :mad: and clone Mac OS back, which is not what is supposed to happen with the Bootcamp Assistant.:eek:

Last edited:

Ludge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Honolulu
I've received that same error whenever attempting to use Windows 10 October Update 1809. The issue was resolved with using version 1803 and shouldn't be a problem with prior releases. At the link below, you have the choice of either version. Select the April Update 1803. Of course, you'll need to recover your partition with Boot Camp if you are wanting to use the assistant in order to start all over.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

BTW. If you deleted the partition, then you should be able to restart and use Boot Camp to recover that newly partitioned space. Again, I would start all over and you shouldn't have an issue with 1803 on 10.14.x.
Thank you very much and I will give it a try!

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
Unless, you have some other configuration causing an issue, then this is the solution to use 1803. I have a '15 MBP & '17 MBP DG that both installed with Boot Camp using this version with no problems. I even have FV enabled. I've had the 1809 install in VMs without problems, if you wanted to go that route. I was never offered the update from 1803 in Windows. Whether you can install this version over 1803 after it has been installed, I can't say for certain.

Ludge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Honolulu
Unless, you have some other configuration causing an issue, then this is the solution to use 1803. I have a '15 MBP & '17 MBP DG that both installed with Boot Camp using this version with no problems. I even have FV enabled. I've had the 1809 install in VMs without problems, if you wanted to go that route. I was never offered the update from 1803 in Windows. Whether you can install this version over 1803 after it has been installed, I can't say for certain.
Thankyou so much whoisyourdaddy. Windows 10 up and running using 1803. Did you need to do anything else with drivers from bootcamp and is it was to update windows beyond what it is presently? Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
From what I've read, the updates from 1803 to 1809 or higher will be rolled out slowly to particular groups, devices, users, etc. because of problems that occurred with the original general release of that update. So, I've been using 1809 in VMs with no noticeable problems. Perhaps, that version would have been fine if installed by booting up with external media instead of using Boot Camp after partitioning. It's not important enough to me for troubleshooting it any further. Boot Camp installs other files after Windows boots and logs in for the first time. Also, you'll want to use the Apple Software Update to install drivers. Other than these two, then there's really not any difference in using the OS on Apple computers than other brands of computers. I've come to rely on using a VM so much more that it's beginning to not be necessary for me to even create or maintain a separate Windows partition since I rarely boot from it. Mostly becoming a habit now as part of setting up new hardware. Glad it worked out for you.

Reactions: 0009827

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
Unfortunately I cannot give you any solution.
Just be aware that Bootcamp is a miserable piece of software no matter what MacOS you use.
I fought for over two weeks with it being in High Sierra and trying even every downgrade I had up to Yosemite:(
I even requested phone help from Apple which was generously given to me by a very kind and patient supporter although my Apple Care finished long ago.
My advice is to contact Apple Support and hope to find a kind and helpful supporter with enough knowledge and a lot of patience or look for an Apple shop, again hoping the so called "Genius" you will find there will have enough knowledge and enough patience.
Being such a new computer they are bound to help you.
Just take into account that many users in this forum advice to make virtual machines with Windows inside in order to avoid that crap of Bootcamp. :eek:
Sorry for not being useful and good luck.
Ed

P.S. I see that you have received already a suggestion to try the previous Windows 10 release and hope it will work for you as suggested. I wish you a lot of good luck.
Still I am convinced that Bootcamp is at least a serious part of the problem since it should be able to restore your partition to one whole piece in order to try again the Assistant. However in my case I had to use disk utility after booting from an external clone, erase everything :mad: and clone Mac OS back, which is not what is supposed to happen with the Bootcamp Assistant.:eek:
Sorry for your experiences, but most people find bootcamp to function correctly. Calling it a miserable piece of software is a stretch- it runs some disk utility commands and installs some drivers to windows- nothing difficult or complicated.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Sorry for your experiences, but most people find bootcamp to function correctly. Calling it a miserable piece of software is a stretch- it runs some disk utility commands and installs some drivers to windows- nothing difficult or complicated.
I do not agree with you about Bootcamp. I remember for instance the post of one user in the specific section of this forum ("Windows, Linux and Others on the Mac") who even had to look for help from a Genius in an Apple shop, who managed to have it work only by rolling back that Mac version by version up to Yosemite! And it was an Apple expert and not just a common user.
I myself had an Apple Supporter from Germany who helped me in a very kind (and generous) long-distance-long-phone-call and it took him (after having me installed an Apple tool to monitor my computer from his one) about an hour of efforts. Being an Apple supporter he certainly was not lacking of knowledge regarding Apple software!
It's true than years ago I remember that the Bootcamp Assistant began its job by erasing any additional partition to have the inner drive of the mac as one extended and purely OSX partition but nowadays in my experience, and that of people in other posts of the forum, the Assistant mostly complains about finding other partitions not allowing it to be able to go on... but does not delete them. Why? I do not know.
What I do know is that the Windows version or the support used (Windows DVD, just an .iso, USB pen drive) made not the task easier for me... and for other users with similar problems.
I first thought it could have something to do with my MacPro End 2013. However it was also very difficult for me to install Windows in an old MacBook 4.1 so I do not believe now that it is a matter of the hardware used.
I believe that Apple with Bootcamp has not made enough efforts to improve it in order to follow the developments made by Microsoft with newer Windows 10. Those posts advising to use older versions of Windows to have it work do not explain why it works in such a way instead of accepting any Windows whatsoever as in past years!
Somehow Apple does not consider it worth while to invest efforts to develop it.
That Apple policy suits those you find often in this forum arguing that "Macs are not made to run Windows and those wanting it should buy a PC".
I do not agree with those people and believe that Apple should do much more regarding Bootcamp than what actually is done.
The only truly easy and full proof way to presently install any Windows in any (Intel) Mac is using VMWare Fusion or Parallels and make a Virtual Machine.
Ed

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
I do not agree with you about Bootcamp. I remember for instance the post of one user in the specific section of this forum ("Windows, Linux and Others on the Mac") who even had to look for help from a Genius in an Apple shop, who managed to have it work only by rolling back that Mac version by version up to Yosemite! And it was an Apple expert and not just a common user.
I myself had an Apple Supporter from Germany who helped me in a very kind (and generous) long-distance-long-phone-call and it took him (after having me installed an Apple tool to monitor my computer from his one) about an hour of efforts. Being an Apple supporter he certainly was not lacking of knowledge regarding Apple software!
It's true than years ago I remember that the Bootcamp Assistant began its job by erasing any additional partition to have the inner drive of the mac as one extended and purely OSX partition but nowadays in my experience, and that of people in other posts of the forum, the Assistant mostly complains about finding other partitions not allowing it to be able to go on... but does not delete them. Why? I do not know.
What I do know is that the Windows version or the support used (Windows DVD, just an .iso, USB pen drive) made not the task easier for me... and for other users with similar problems.
I first thought it could have something to do with my MacPro End 2013. However it was also very difficult for me to install Windows in an old MacBook 4.1 so I do not believe now that it is a matter of the hardware used.
I believe that Apple with Bootcamp has not made enough efforts to improve it in order to follow the developments made by Microsoft with newer Windows 10. Those posts advising to use older versions of Windows to have it work do not explain why it works in such a way instead of accepting any Windows whatsoever as in past years!
Somehow Apple does not consider it worth while to invest efforts to develop it.
That Apple policy suits those you find often in this forum arguing that "Macs are not made to run Windows and those wanting it should buy a PC".
I do not agree with those people and believe that Apple should do much more regarding Bootcamp than what actually is done.
The only truly easy and full proof way to presently install any Windows in any (Intel) Mac is using VMWare Fusion or Parallels and make a Virtual Machine.
Ed
So from 2 instances of bootcamp being an issue, you conclude that is the case for everyone. Makes perfect sense.
As already stated, bootcamp is nothing more than an assistant creating a windows install, and some drivers for afterwards. Nobody is even forcing you to use it, it is perfectly possible to install windows on a Mac without it.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
So from 2 instances of bootcamp being an issue, you conclude that is the case for everyone. Makes perfect sense.
As already stated, bootcamp is nothing more than an assistant creating a windows install, and some drivers for afterwards. Nobody is even forcing you to use it, it is perfectly possible to install windows on a Mac without it.
Why you do not simply look in the part of the forum I mentioned in my post dealing with Windows, Linux and Others in the Mac?:confused:
You will find there that I am certainly not the only one who had worries with Bootcamp Windows in the mac, but many others had and still have them as well.
Besides, installing it without Bootcamp, as you suggest, poses the problem to get the right drivers for your hardware.
I have used for instance "Driver Max" to do so and the risk of choosing a wrong driver proposed by any of those applications is to be taken seriously. I bricked my wifi on one occasion by accepting the wifi driver it proposed.
Many things are in principle possible... what does not mean they can also be achieved in true life with a reasonable amount of effort.
Apple should IMHO invest more effort in the application they created intended by them to install Windows in a mac.
I never suggested to possess myself the entire truth about anything, but my posts are the result not only of my personal experience, but of the one of many others in other posts you can find if you look for them, what does not seem to have been the case unfortunately. :oops:
My opinion is also based on the efforts Apple supporters had to undertake in that matter, both in my case and in that of others.
If you yourself are perfectly happy with the present functionality of Bootcamp, I share your happyness.:cool:
Ed