Boot Camp on 2008 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2.6 with OEM ATI HD 2600XT 256MB Video Card

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jcaraballo70, Nov 15, 2010.

1. jcaraballo70 macrumors member

For some reason my Mac Pro after a full install of the Retail version of Windows 7 (both 32 and 64bit give the samne issues) after any type of game play the system will lock up and freeze. It requires a hard boot and then each time windows starts the freezing is instant. Rinse and repeat.

I only want to install Windows 7 under Bootcamp for casual game play. I cant seem to be able to enjoy any type of game play due to constant freezing.

I have gone back to just Mac OSX but thought maybe I could give it one more try by asking here in the forum.

I have followed the Boot Camp instructions to the letter. Using the Original DVD for the Bootcamp install. Then using 80GB of HD space for plenty of room. Once Windows 7 is installed the then use the Boot Camp Drivers. After that is completed I then go to the ATI Website and downlaod the lastest drivers for my ATI 2600XT. I also install all Windows 7 updates.

After all that time. Start up a game and then the freezing starts.
    I have tried to also NOT download any drivers from ATI and just use the BootCamp drivers. Same issue - Freezing up when playing a game.

Any suggestions?
    I feel like I wasted my money on buying the full version of Windows 7.

Thanks for your help.

John

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. jcaraballo70 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will try that when I get home from work but wouldn't that same issue happen in Mac OSX if it was a memory issue?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately, no. Each OS stresses the system in different ways. I once had a system that was rock solid in Linux, but was completely flaky in Windows until I replaced the RAM.

B

5. jcaraballo70 thread starter macrumors member

Rember Test Results

All tests passed!

Total built-in memory: 4 GB

This is the total amount of physical memory that the computer has installed. If this figure is not showing the correct amount of memory there may be a problem with one or more installed DIMMS.

Available memory: 2960 MB

Available memory is the amount of physical memory that is currently not in use by any other processes. All available memory will be used for testing when the "All" option is selected. To increase the amount of available memory, you can restart your computer before testing. If you are familiar with the command line (CLI), you can run memtest (the core of Rember) in single-user mode. See Rember help, or http://www.memtestosx.org for more information.

Requested amount: All MB

The total amount of memory requested for testing by the Rember application. Not all requested memory can be allocated for testing. See information on "Available memory" for more information.

Memory allocated for testing: 2960 MB

This is the total amount of memory that memtest was able to allocate for testing. See "Available memory" section for more information.

-------

Loops selected: 1

Total loops selected by user for testing. All loops should complete when testing is successful. Test failure when the "Continue on Error" preference is selected will cancel tests before this number of loops has been completed. Users can also cancel testing before this number is reached.

Loops completed: 1

Total loops completed by memtest. Note that the Rember is not always able to identify how many loops ran. If there are discrepancies between this and the loops selected, the log should be examined to determine exactly how many loops were performed.
    -------

Total execution time: All tests passed! Execution time: 2627 seconds

This is the total amount of time that it took to execute the selected tests. Execution time may vary from system to system, and is provided as a guide for determining how long users can expect tests to run based on the amount of memory installed on the system.

Testing start time: 2010-11-15 23:17:55 -0500

Testing end time: 2010-11-16 00:01:45 -0500

Rember version: 0.3.7b Memtest version: 4.22