Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I'm trying to make Boot Camp partition so I can install Windows. I've got a 64GB SSD with Lion 10.7.2 on it, and I've got 18GB used and 44.6GB free space available right now. I initially had 22GB free space available and have been clearing off as much as I can, however there's not really anything else I can remove now...

What on earth is wrong with it?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Even though it says 10gb you need 20gb. You said you had 22 free so this is strange, but I've managed to make a windows partition with a 64gb MacBook air before.

Edit : sorry just re read your post. Misunderstood it at first.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's possible you don't have 10GB of contiguous space. If that's the case, you may need to defragment your drive.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Even though it says 10gb you need 20gb. You said you had 22 free so this is strange, but I've managed to make a windows partition with a 64gb MacBook air before.

Edit : sorry just re read your post. Misunderstood it at first.
Mmm, I see. Well yeah I've got 44GB right now.
It's possible you don't have 10GB of contiguous space. If that's the case, you may need to defragment your drive.
Mmm, I don't really want to defrag my SSD. Any other way?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • For Time Machine users on Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • For Time Machine users on Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
I can't explain why it was showing different amounts of free space in Disk Utility vs Get Info on the drive, but turning off local snapshots fixed it. I saw my space in Activity Monitor gradually increase from 22GB to like 44GB or something. Thanks a lot for the help! I've got it working :)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I can't explain why it was showing different amounts of free space in Disk Utility vs Get Info on the drive, but turning off local snapshots fixed it. I saw my space in Activity Monitor gradually increase from 22GB to like 44GB or something. Thanks a lot for the help! I've got it working :)

You basically explained it. That's just how these local snapshots work.

Note that "Get Info" reports "space available", while Disc Utility reports actual "free space." The space occupied by snapshots is not free, however it's considered available since OSX will remove the snapshots in case the space is needed, or after a week.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
You basically explained it. That's just how these local snapshots work.

Note that "Get Info" reports "space available", while Disc Utility reports actual "free space." The space occupied by snapshots is not free, however it's considered available since OSX will remove the snapshots in case the space is needed, or after a week.
Oh right, I see. Well thanks for that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.