Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a support document that will be of interest to customers who own a late 2012 27-inch iMac with a 3TB hard drive and are attempting to upgrade to the macOS Mojave update.

There is an issue on this iMac model that results in the following alert when attempting to install macOS Mojave: "Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured."

imac_2013_color.jpg

To fix this problem, Apple says that customers with the 2012 27-inch iMac with 3TB hard drive will need to completely remove the Boot Camp partition using Boot Camp Assistant before macOS Mojave can be installed.

After upgrading to macOS Mojave, Boot Camp will not be able to be used to install Windows on these machines. No other iMac models appear to be affected by this issue.

Article Link: Boot Camp Won't Work With macOS Mojave on 2012 27-Inch iMac With 3TB Hard Drive

amadigan

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
I seem to remember that BIOS emulation on EFI tends to not support drives over 2TB. Maybe that's the root cause? In that case, I wouldn't expect it to get resolved.

It's odd that Boot Camp would still be using BIOS emulation, I'm sure Windows 10 prefers EFI.

Shoju

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Berlin
No other iMac models appear to be affected by this issue.
I wish. I ran into the same message trying to install Mojave on my late 2014 iMac (27", Retina 5K, 3TB Fusion Drive). What's going on?! Don't tell me I won't be able to use Boot Camp again after updating to Mojave!?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-24 um 22.14.39.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-09-24 um 22.14.39.png
    929.4 KB · Views: 11,739

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I seem to remember that BIOS emulation on EFI tends to not support drives over 2TB. Maybe that's the root cause? In that case, I wouldn't expect it to get resolved.

It's odd that Boot Camp would still be using BIOS emulation, I'm sure Windows 10 prefers EFI.

This is probably why. The machine is probably too old to have an EFI compatible with Windows, and they probably don’t want to special-case the MBR emulation to move Boot Camp in front of APFS.

Reactions: adib and ikir

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Why not buy an external SSD and install it on that? You can use WintoUSB. If you don’t have access to a Windows machine download virtual box or VMware trial and give it a shot. It that doesn’t work then I guess these 2012 27” iMac users are SOL.

Also, if you’re brave just replace the 3TB drive with a 1TB SSD or something. Unfortunately it’s a lot of work and you can end up damaging the machine if you f up like Linus did with his iMac Pro.

9to5mac has a good tutorial on YT on how to install Win 10 on an external SSD if you need instructions.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

If that was the case, Boot Camp wouldn't have worked at all before installing Mojave:
To fix this problem, Apple says that customers with the 2012 27-inch iMac with 3TB hard drive will need to completely remove the Boot Camp partition using Boot Camp Assistant before macOS Mojave can be installed.

So this sounds like a Mojave bug, and I wonder if just creating a basic fat32 partition through Disk Utility and installing Windows without Boot Camp (and letting it format the fat drive to NTFS in the process) would work just fine

Reactions: adib and vjl323

neek

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Not the only model affected. I have a 2013 iMac with Bootcamp on a Fusion drive and Mojave happily installed... it just broke my Bootcamp in the process.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mojave-breaks-bootcamp-on-fusion-drive.2142473/
[doublepost=1537822253][/doublepost]

Boot Camp on 3 TB Fusion drives had to do a lot of voodoo. The start of the Windows partition had to be within the first 2 TB of the disk. High Sierra did some Core Storage tricks and put the Windows volume in the middle and had HFS+ partitions around it.

This is how my partition looked (when it worked):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 16.46.03.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 16.46.03.png
    44 KB · Views: 11,595

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I wish. I ran into the same message trying to install Mojave on my late 2014 iMac (27", Retina 5K, 3TB Fusion Drive). What's going on?! Don't tell me I won't be able to use Boot Camp again after updating to Mojave!?

Try external SSD. It should be as fast if not faster than the SSHD setup.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
This is My exact configuration and it is installing for over 3h (bet it is the conversion to APFS). I‘ll let you know of it works. Grüße aus Hamburg

Reactions: Shoju

Shoju

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Berlin
Try external SSD. It should be as fast if not faster than the SSHD setup.
Well this means I need to invest in new hardware, though. Not something I planned simply to be able to update to the latest macOS...
Just to clarify, you suggest to put Mojave on an external SSD?

Last edited:

Shoju

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Berlin
This is My exact configuration and it is installing for over 3h (bet it is the conversion to APFS). I‘ll let you know of it works. Grüße aus Hamburg
But did you have a Boot Camp partition installed as well? I didn't even come to installing it as the installer wants the Boot Camp partition removed before installation even starts... :(
Grüße aus Berlin!

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
But did you have a Boot Camp partition installed as well? I didn't even come to installing it as the installer wants the Boot Camp partition removed before installation even starts... :(
Grüße aus Berlin!
Sonst wäre mein Post ja irgendwie witzlos ;P
I have 3TB Fusion Drive and 100 GB For Boot Camp. To Play GTA V I further partitioned the drive to a Second 100GB portion. Installed with noch warning sign. ...but still does. Now over 4h and the indicatior did not move just a Pixel.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Good thing Apple designs their own hardware. The software only has to run on a limited subset of hardware so it's easier for them to test and focus on making a good user experience. /s
It is just a single model with a custom CTO hard drive, incredibly rare. If possible they will fix it, it could be related to how partition are handled, specific chipset and go on

Reactions: noxivs

Shoju

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Berlin
Sonst wäre mein Post ja irgendwie witzlos ;P
Da hast du recht... :rolleyes:
I have 3TB Fusion Drive and 100 GB For Boot Camp. To Play GTA V I further partitioned the drive to a Second 100GB portion. Installed with noch warning sign. ...but still does. Now over 4h and the indicatior did not move just a Pixel.
That's strange. So on mine the installation process won't even start but on yours it doesn't actually spit out a warning sign... Makes it look like a bug. Interesting - keep me/us posted!

Reactions: noxivs

noxivs

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
ist
I have that exact configuration. 3TB Fusion on a late 2012 iMac. And I use the Bootcamp partition for gaming. I tried installing a couple of betas, of course did not work. I asked on this very forum about it and no one even replied. It is a specific config so I understand but Apple not telling about that right from the beginning is a fail. Now it is officially out and I will never get to install Windows on it? At least give us a ballpark? Being forced to delete the Bootcamp is painful enough to begin with. I keep this machine mostly to play on Bootcamp but I want my Mojave too!!
[doublepost=1537829829][/doublepost]
Maybe a move to Virtual Box is the way to go then? It’s free and easy enough to set up.
For many of us Mac users, Bootcamp is only good for playing games. And VM and gaming don't go hand in hand

Reactions: adib
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.