Boot on the other Foot: ID cards please!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Jul 24, 2011.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3288195,00.html

And a bloody good lesson, I'll bet.

2. 184550 Guest

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. The three visitors behaved despicably by questioning and arguing with the instructions of the immigration officer. They should have ponied up their ID cards and gone with the flow. The hypocrisy is staggering.

4. 184550 Guest

:rolleyes:

Can you imagine the uproar if a US TSA/ Immigration official behaved as such (cue the posts that claim they already do)?

That person is an employee of the Fijian government and should have acted as such. It appears that Fiji and Israel enjoy great relations. I'll be interested to see how the Fijian gov't responds.

I wouldn't care if she owned a backpacking hostel and didn't want to rent them a room or similar.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Absolutely agree.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What's an "ID card" and why did they need one?
    How did the immigration officer know that they were the ones "humiliating" palestinians?
    Why does an Fijian immigration officer believe that its up to her to dish out "pay backs" for her own bias view of the Israel/Palestine conflict.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

While I deplore Israel's attitude towards Palestine, these three guys didn't have to pay for their government/military. Altough as others said, don't argue with immigration officers.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

perhaps for everybody but israelis

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Excellent points.

If the young men had committed some actionable behavior, then go through the formal legal process. Seems like officially sanctioned vigilante behavior by a government employee. :mad:

Also, I wasn't aware that one needed to carry ID beyond Passport when traveling. Is that required? In all my travels, I have never been asked for anything but my Passport.

Edit: Sorry, I was slow, as usual.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

in the israeli/palestinian issue i tend to side with the palestinians, but this is ridiculous and completely unwarranted.
    The Fiji Gov should formally apologize to the tourists and the officer should be fired.
    If a US Immigration Officer would do something like this to visitors from a country he/she has issues with (even if the issues are founded) we'd be enraged, and rightly so.

to condone this is indeed staggeringly hypocritical

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

A little petty, but after experiencing the incredibly rude Israeli immigration officers while entering Israel at the Allenby bridge crossing I don't feel sorry for these guys, and they probably deserved it.

13. 184550 Guest

Eh, the officials I encountered at Ben Gurion International were perfectly pleasant given their jobs.

As you probably know, it wasn't a good idea to enter via Jordan.

14. Rodimus Prime, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sorry but immigration screwed up. I would call this pretty blatant discrimination.
    No ifs and or buts about it. This was nothing more than someone on a power trip and abusing it. Now of course immigration is going to back their employee publicly like they should but still I have a feeling said employee will not be employed much longer in that spot.
    That is my though as well. I know my TX ID is not going to be valid in any other country as an ID. It is good in the US and that is about it. Sure as hell not going to work elsewhere. Now my US passport would work as my ID all over the world.

15. 184550 Guest

It seems a couple of other small sites have picked it up.

I would imagine that it's due to this story that has constantly appeared in my Google search results when Googling the OP.

Perhaps others are running with the story as well and not realizing it's date.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Skunk, why you do this to us?

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

The TSA doesn't have the authority to detain people, although many officers would like to think that they do.

CBP and INS, though, has had many rogue stations in the past where racism and xenophobia were openly practiced. Look up cases like "Deportland," the name given to the FIS station at PDX in the late nineties. Even today, it's not uncommon for me to see Middle Easterners pulled out of the passport control line and taken into secondary screening before ever interacting with an officer.

18. 184550 Guest

He seems to be in a rut, yesterdays thread wasn't much better. :p

Hence the '/immigration official'. :)

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

Hence my "praises" of CBP. ;)

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A whim? I too fall prey to them, once in a while. ;)

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The immigration official acted like a moron. Not much else to say about this dated story. I guess skunk doesn't agree?

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah, Ben Gurion wasn't as bad, and that's exactaly what the border patrol agent told us. But in the end it probably was a good idea to enter from Jordan as it let me see all the crap the Israeilis put the Palestinians through. The customs officials there pretty much completely sold me on the Palestinians cause.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The fact that all that it took was a couple of customs officials to sell you on a cause says a lot about you.

24. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

No need to be so dismissive. The realities of living under military occupation are glossed over far too often by the US Press. I didn't realise the article was five years old, of course, but nevertheless, an occasional non-violent guerilla reality check does a welcome service to our perception. I assume the woman was fired, but I also expect she still thinks it was worth it.