Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
UK
boot-up time for panther is so much faster than jaguar, my 1.25GHz iMac takes just 35s from pressing the button too fully start-up.

Everyone else notice this too?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
yeah, this has been mentioned a lot. on my 17-inch powerbook, when I restarted yesterday after installing that security update, I clicked 'restart' turned around to pet my cat, and when I turned back I was already into my desktop (auto login enable). it could not have been more than 30-40 seconds which is wonderful for a laptop startup!! I love it:cool:

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
I don't know exact times, but I can tell you it's at least cut my startup time in half on my older 500mhz G4 PowerBook.

More impressive to me than startup time, is shutdown time. It takes me less than 5 seconds for my computer to shut down. Before, it was more like 45 seconds. Annyoing when you're in a hurry and trying to shut down then run out the door.

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
my reboot time from click of the reboot button to the login screen went from ~2:37 to ~0:55 ! :-D

also, Panther seems much less RAM hungry. iTunes and Safari (with some menu bar apps) and I am using about 165MB. about 1/2 of 10.2.8 when nothing was being used.

all in all seems to be rather slick.

FUS is nice too. pauses your song if iTunes is playing music. that is a nice touch.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
28 secs(!) on my Dual 1GHz Quicksilver w/ 1GB RAM. That's a cold boot, from the moment I touch the power button till it hits the login screen...amazing!

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i hadn't really noticed it until this thread made me think about it... but yeah, it's seemed alot quicker.

i'll have to remember to time it sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.