Bootcamp -Has anyone updated to Windows 10 or is it crashing for everyone?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whitedragon101, Jul 30, 2015.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

There seem to be quite a few people with threads here saying Windows 10 has stopped their Macs from booting at all (although this does seem to be the preview version). Has anyone done the official upgrade on a bootcamp partition successfully with no boot errors / crashing?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I have done a successful upgrade with zero issue. However I have issue when trying to remove windows partition under El Capitan.

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Upgraded my Windows 7 partition to Windows 10 and it went smoothly (although it took a while). No issues.

4. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

No issues and my Mac is super complicated with graphics card upgrades, USB 3.1 card, SATA cards, six drives

5. gr4z macrumors regular

No issues here. Once I had claimed my free upgrade I then did a fresh install and didn't put the license key in. That way Microsoft already recognises you have a legitimate copy and activates it for you. Saves you having to do an upgrade and gives you a nice clean install.

6. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

7. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

For those of you that installed W10 on bootcamp, did you do a clean install or just upgrade from 8/8.1?

8. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You need to upgrade first to get the free update license. After that you can clean install. I did an upgrade with the option "keep nothing".

9. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I upgraded then used the tool to create a usb installer. I then deleted the 8.1 bootcamp and created a new bootcamp with W10. No I cannot get Parallels to see the bootcamp to create a VM in OSX.

10. yoimrae macrumors newbie

yoimrae

I just removed my windows 8.1 virtual machine and created a windows 10 partition on bootcamp. I installed Windows 10 and installed the bootcamp drivers. perfectly working. might consider installing touchpad++.

11. gr4z macrumors regular

Trackpad++ is excellent and well worth the license fee.

12. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I have had a couple of crashes since my last comment and honestly not surprised because it's a new OS and Bootcamp drivers haven't been officially tested and released for this

13. pbatana macrumors newbie

My MacBook could not boot Windows 10 after I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1. After I finished Windows 10 installation (upgrade), the boot process stopped at spinning circle of dots indicating Windows was loading, then it takes forever.

My MacBook Pro: 17 inch Late 2011, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 . Actually I also installed Parallels, which could start Windows 8.1 installed on Bootcamp.

Any help ?

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my 2010 Mac Pro. No obvious problems yet, but it's only been two days.

Normally I would wait 6 months or even a year after a major OS release, but in this case I jumped in earlier because I just hate Windows 8.1 on the desktop.

15. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Isn't just a Boot Camp thing, when Win10 launched there were some driver bugs which Windows Update was pushing older drivers than what users had and it would have some degree of breakage(broken upgrade, ex: Control Panel remaining Win7/8.1, random boot loop, BSOD, etc) yet fixable via running the upgrade again from a DVD/USB stick.

Another "issue" of Win10 is if someone has AMD APU/GPU it was pushing an older version or overwriting the newer driver+control panel so some systems would suffer weird issues. For AMD GPU users you need to boot Windows into safe mode, uninstall Catalyst and install the version from AMD's website. (my mum has a AMD PC notebook with Radeon 64xx IGP, manual driver update was the solution)

16. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 and haven't seen any crashing yet...

17. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I have many random crashes and trying to work out the cause.

18. elistan macrumors 6502a

I did an in-place upgrade from 8.1 to 10 without issues on my late 2010 iMac, using Microsoft's Win 10 Download link.
    The only issue I've noticed so far is that the keyboard controls for volume, brightness, etc. don't work, and scrolling with the Magic Mouse doesn't work. But I've put zero effort in to those issues so they could be something stupidly simple.

19. pbatana macrumors newbie

When I try to run Windows 10 installed on Bootcamp from Parallels, I get the message that the operating system on my bootcamp partition is not supported by the bootcamp version that I have. I installed the latest bootcamp version a year ago, after that I haven't checked whether or not a new version was available

20. macenied, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Never had any crashes with W10 Pro on my MBP 7.1, which is even not supported to run W8/8.1 by Apple. I updated from W7 Pro first to get the free license and did a clean install after that by booting from DVD. W10 needed some custom setup and configuration though. I did a new install of the applications I use and copied my data to the new installation. Now it's perfect as far as I can say after using it 10 days, 8 hours a day.

21. doynton macrumors 6502

I had that upgrading from 7 to 10 - also the Bluetooth hub driver vanished. Re-installing bootcamp drivers fixed all of it.

22. MrWhale macrumors newbie

I did a clean install of windows 10 and it worked fine for 2 days i tried to install steam and it worked and then got sfm. I had it downloading that night and then when i got up to use it my computer refused to start into windows.

23. sethkj macrumors newbie

I have a Late 2013 Mac Pro with El Capitan and Windows 10 via Bootcamp. Everything is fine until I hook up my external drive via thunderbolt. Once I reboot it crashes with a kernel panic security alert. Go figure. I'm waiting for Apple to fix it. Once I unplug the drive from the computer it boots up fine.