Bootcamp issues

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by TheSkywalker77, May 30, 2019.

1. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I've been trying to use Bootcamp to partition my drive to run Windows 10. The process goes smooth until it's time to partition the drive. I get the well known error, "Failed to partition drive" and says something about opening Disk Utility to fix it. I've Googled the error and found out it could be caused by Time Machine snapshots and different partitions in the drive. I've ran the Terminal commands for Time Machine snapshots and there were none, and I checked the partitions on my drive, there were none. Time Machine is disabled to begin with so what's the issue? I've included a few screenshots of my drive in Disk Utility, maybe there's something I'm missing?
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 12.22.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 12.22.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 12.23.21 PM.png

Also I'm on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro non-retina. And it's running 10.14.6

2. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

Are you partitioning the drive prior to running bootcamp assistant? If so, don't. Rejoin the free space in your drive to the MacOS partition and then run bootcamp assistant.

3. TheSkywalker77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

No, I'm not partitioning it myself, I'm letting Bootcamp do that for me.

I could've worded it better. :p

4. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

Are the screenshots then from only during bootcamp assistant's partitioning, and it is a full macOS partition after? I'm looking at the unallocated 322 GB partition and wondering if that's what's causing your problems. Bootcamp assistant really doesn't like non-vanilla partition schemes.

I had a similar issue on my iMac Pro where it partitioned the drive and failed, and it couldn't recover it. The only solution was to restore the drive from a backup I had taken prior to attempting to bootcamp, and then run it again.

5. TheSkywalker77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Those are after several failed attempts at Bootcamp. I can't get it to all go on one partition. So if I backed it up right now and restored it from that backup it should fix the issue? Cause if that's the case then that's an easy fix and I'll happily do that.

6. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

Yes, I would backup your macOS and then boot in recovery mode, fire up disk utility and reformat the entire drive into APFS and then reinstall macOS, then restart the bootcamp assistant process.

7. TheSkywalker77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Alright, once I get a backup drive I'll do that. Thanks!