Bootcamp on a Thunderbolt 3 drive?

adamk77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Hello. I just purchased a the Samsung X5 which will be here in a few days. I'd like to get to a running start on how to install Windows on it.

I know bootcamp won't let you install on an external drive. But as this is a TB3 drive, will it see it as an internal PCIe drive and let me install Windows on it without much fanfare?

If not, I'd appreciate any pointers -- links to guides or previous threads here on Macrumors. I'd like to partition half the SSD for Windows and the other half for MacOS.

Thanks for any help!

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I know bootcamp won't let you install on an external drive. But as this is a TB3 drive, will it see it as an internal PCIe drive and let me install Windows on it without much fanfare?
Windows will "see" it as an external drive. However, there are work arounds which I'm sure someone will provide a link for you to follow.

Chocomonsters

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Hello. I just purchased a the Samsung X5 which will be here in a few days. I'd like to get to a running start on how to install Windows on it.

If not, I'd appreciate any pointers -- links to guides or previous threads here on Macrumors. I'd like to partition half the SSD for Windows and the other half for MacOS.

Thanks for any help!
With TB3 enclosure, you dont need to use BootCamp to partition and install. You can install Windows 10 directly to Samsung X5. It will be treated as internal PCIe drive but it will be seen as external drive icon. You dont need the RegEdit value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem to "0".

Mettwurst

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Basel, Switzerland
Of course you can also install the bootcamp version on your Mac first. Later, however, the term, with e.g. "Winclone" to copy to the SSD.

After a reboot with the option key you can then control the "EFI" partition of Windows and bam, you're in it.

everything else is described here

darkslide29

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
With TB3 enclosure, you dont need to use BootCamp to partition and install. You can install Windows 10 directly to Samsung X5. It will be treated as internal PCIe drive but it will be seen as external drive icon. You dont need the RegEdit value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PortableOperatingSystem to "0".

Hello, I came across your reply because I am trying to install Windows 10 on a Samsung X5 using bootcamp on a Mac Mini 2018. However, I am running into issues using bootcamp. I am curious what you meant by installing Windows 10 directly to the Samsung X5? I did purchase this TB3 drive in hopes of making the install simple. Could you please point me in the right direction to install directly? Thank you.

No need to look at this, but I posted my own issues on a thread this morning: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-with-bootcamp-install-on-samsung-x5.2205766/

darkslide29

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Thanks for any help!
Hi, I am in the same boat as you with the Samsung X5 in hopes of making a Windows 10 install easier, half a year later. My Samsung X5 is here, but I am having trouble installing Windows 10 using bootcamp. At first, I tried to partition it in half just like you, but am having trouble. Now I decided to dedicate the X5 to Windows 10 only, but I am still having trouble with bootcamp.

Here is the thread of my issues:https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-with-bootcamp-install-on-samsung-x5.2205766/
But any help or pointers, or just letting me know what you did and how it went would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

indypup

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
I'm trying to do the same thing as you guys and not having any luck so far. Anyone have success yet?

mr_hyde

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
Italy
Recenlty I installed Windows/bootcamp for my MacMini 2018 on external SSD using the following guide:

Basically it uses VirtualBox to setup a virtual disk mapped to use the real SSD disk and to perform the installation.

VERY IMPORTANT STEPS:
1) Check the "Enable EFI (special OSes only)" option in VM settings
2) make sure to abort the execution of the VM (yes, you need to close the VM process) at the end of Windows installation process, just before the automatic reboot

This was the easy-short part, then I had to install the bootcamp drivers (and this has been a little nightmare. for me: the process took a very long time)

Bye,
Mr Hyde

JosepPont

macrumors member
I'm trying to do the same thing as you guys and not having any luck so far. Anyone have success yet?
I was trying a lot of methods to install Windows in this drive (Samsung X5 500GB) but all of them was a fail. One because a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, other because freeze at start up and so on. Finally I returned the drive and buy a Samsung Evo Plus with 1TB and a USB 3.1 Gen. 2 enclosure that gives me a 1GB/s, also overkilled to gaming and perfect performance with half price than X5 1TB.

PD: I installed Windows 10 1909 trough Windows To Go (Rufus) with no issues.

Last edited: