Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

First, thanks for all the previous help.
Am in my 80's now, and, frankly, would be lost without you folks.

Have a relatively new iMac, and am running the latest vers. of High Sierra.

I did the Bootcamp thing (big, big mistake apparently), and after a few tries W10 comes up.
Apparently it works fine, except that I cannot get it to recognize (any) wireless Mouse.
Does recognize the wireless keyboard.
A secondary problem for now, as I can use an old wired Mouse.

No matter what I do or try, I cannot get it to open up to, or switch back to the Mac OS.

I do not have a Bootcamp Control icon anywhere on the Windows10 screen or task bars.
Not in the ^ extra menu that you can pull up on the right side of bottom task bar.

I tried restarting multiple times while holding down the key on the bottom of the keyboard
that has a line thru it; the top part labeled start in white, and the bottom part labeled
alt opt in grey. The bottom part/symbol I think is for Windows.
I also tried the fn key next to it, as well as the key labeled alt (in white on top/ and cmd squiggle symbol on the bottom in grey. The keyboard is a Logitech; I think a model 780 (can't find model No. on it)

I read that re-starting and holding down the Option key should bring up a Boot Order screen, or
automatically go into the Mac OS, but it doesn't for me.

Which key is the Option Key; how (probably) labeled ?
Perhaps I am not doing this key and hold down correctly ?

Am totally out of ideas now.

Please help me with this.
There must be some way for me to switch bac to the Mac, or select a boot order, or... ? Isn't there ?

Thanks; appreciate your time nd help,
Bob

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
The left "Alt" key should work to bring up the boot menu.
[doublepost=1531826678][/doublepost]Oh wait is that your keyboard? If so it might be the "Start" button.

Attachments

• k780-multi-device-keyboard.png
    k780-multi-device-keyboard.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 301

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hi

Tried it.

No luck.

What next ?

Thanks,
Bob

member: 690684"]Hello,

I did the Bootcamp thing (big, big mistake apparently), and after a few tries W10 comes up.
Apparently it works fine, except that I cannot get it to recognize (any) wireless Mouse.

No matter what I do or try, I cannot get it to open up to, or switch back to the Mac OS.

I do not have a Bootcamp Control icon anywhere on the Windows10 screen or task bars.
Not in the ^ extra menu that you can pull up on the right side of bottom task bar.

I tried restarting multiple times while holding down the key on the bottom of the keyboard
that has a line thru it; the top part labeled start in white, and the bottom part labeled
I also tried the fn key next to it, as well as the key labeled alt (in white on top/ and cmd squiggle symbol on the bottom in grey. The keyboard is a Logitech; I think a model 780 (can't find model No. on it)

I read that re-starting and holding down the Option key should bring up a Boot Order screen, or

There must be some way for me to switch bac to the Mac, or select a boot order, or... ? Isn't there ?

Bob[/QUOTE]

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Do you have a wired keyboard? Maybe this one isn't working during the boot process.

AppleMythos

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2017
San Francisco
That's strange. You should really only need to hold down the option key after rebooting if you want to get into Windows. Any restart is supposed to default to macOS. But there should definitely be a boot camp icon in the bottom right ^ button, but since you say this isn't available in that particular task bar, it leads me to believe something may have happened with your installation process. Since you have a new iMac, I would try calling Apple's customer support hotline. They might recommend you take it into an Apple Store to have macOS reinstalled on site.

Hopefully someone else here can help you out before you have to consider escalating to that stage. Good luck.

Reactions: Glmnet1

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
It's not really clear to me which key corresponds to "option."

If you are still stuck in windows, use the onscreen keyboard to verify which key is being read as "option".

(click on Start, and then type osk, or "on-screen keyboard". As you type on the logitech, the corresponding key on the on-screen keyboard should highlight. You need to find out which key on the logitech keyboard corresponds with the "alt" key.)

Now that you've identified it, hold down that key at startup.

Last edited:

wenjiun88

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Hello,

Bob

Ok, This is how i manage to get into startup manager by holding alt opt(left) and keep pressing alt opt (right) until the startup manager pop out. I only used Unify to get it run startup manager, i havent try it with bluetooth yet.

Hope this method helps you...

Zenya

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I realize my reply is more than a year old but it might help someone. I recently bought a mac mini, Logitech K780 wireless multi-purpose keyboard, using an old Logitech wired marble-man trackball and bought a new Samsung U28E570D monitor and Polk speakers with 3.5 mm connectors which go into the headphone jack. The Logitech unifying key goes into 1 USB port and a 4 port non-powered Belkin hub goes into the other USB port. The monitor is connected with a Belkin HDMI cable to the HDMI port 2 on the Samsung monitor. I set up the mac mini similar to our 2009 early 27 inch iMac which still works well despite being limited to an older OS. I read the instructions to Bootcamp and went to the Microsoft page and downloaded the 64 bit Windows 10 home edition OS. It went to the download folder with the extension of iso.download. I had a 32 GB flashdrive plugged into the hub. All the Apple documentation had me believe the mac mini was the only model that had to use the flash drive. The bootcamp program picked up the ISO right from the downloads folder. The mac mini has 32GB of RAM and 1TB solid state hard drive. I configured the windows partition in bootcamp for 128GB as I plan to try to load Quicken and TurboTax programs and files that were previously used on my Toshiba Windows 7 laptop. I also bought an external Roo something external DVD writer which connects with regular USB. I did not have a code or registration key for Windows but I have an old hotmail account that let me sign into Windows 10. After Windows 10 installs, you can get carried away downloading other software to configure but the bootcamp program has a window lingering in the background waiting for user interaction. Fortunately, I noticed this and cut my software configuration short and finished the bootcamp operation. That interaction is what puts the bootcamp software in the system tray of the Windows 10 task bar. If you accidentally close the Window, you will not find bootcamp in Windows control panel. The other caveat is that the Logitech K780 keyboard is great except the Mac keys that are supposed to bring up a menu to choose the OS you want to use upon a restart do are not recognized by the computer (they maybe in the future but not currently). On this keyboard that would to the left of the spacebar reads Start on top (Windows/Android) and alt opt in gray underneath. To the right of the spacebar the top of the key reads ctrl (Windows/Android) and alt opt in gray underneath. When in Windows go to the system tray ^ symbol, find the bootcamp icon and right click for a shortcut menu and select Restart Mac OS. When you are in the Mac OS, go into System Preferences possibly of the profile with administrator options and select start up disk. You may have to unlock the option and then you can choose Windows OS. I don't know if a Mac wireless keyboard would work for the "alt" key method of choosing an OS when restarting but a wired Mac keyboard would probably work based on other answers in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.