Boots to no device detected after APFS

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Princess Cake, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

I went into recovery mode to convert my system to apfs and now when I try to boot I end up getting a screen telling me to turn on a mouse along with a spinning "busy" wheel... I dont know how to fix this! Im worried I may have corrupted the HDD or something!

Attached Files:

2. gages macrumors member

you may need to have a usb connected kbd/mouse for some recovery actions.

3. Princess Cake, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

Princess Cake thread starter macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

I can enter recovery mode with a USB mouse but not MacOS itself... what should I do? In recovery mode it wont let me select my main partition anymore saying like "bless failed" it wont detect any time machine backups and even trying to do a full reinstall it cant connect to the server...

I am getting desperate here, its a 2012 iMac and I thought itd be okay... I wish I never upgraded

4. gages, Oct 11, 2017

gages macrumors member

Same thing happened to me.

You should be able to boot with the usb drive your created with the dosdude1 patches. 2 things to try. Run the patches again making sure the APFS patches are applied, or reinstall the OS without erasing the partition.

BTW, after converting to APFS I cant boot from my recovery volume. Haven't solved that one yet.

5. Princess Cake thread starter macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

I wasnt aware of those patches and at this point I have no way of putting them on a usb... my computer is basically bricked and all im left with is my ipod touch and ps3 -_-

6. gages macrumors member

Sorry, the patches are only needed for unsupported Macs. Boot and hold down the Option key and see what boot options come up. If no drives you can boot from, you will need to make a bootable USB installer and reinstall the OS.

7. Princess Cake thread starter macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

All I get is a recovery disk to start from but it leads back to that "no mouse detected" screen, which doesnt even work when I plug in a wired mouse

8. gages macrumors member

Yikes. I think you will need to create a USB installer and boot from it, then reinstall the OS (no erase) and you should be fine. Other suggestions welcome...

9. Princess Cake thread starter macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

well... i got here in recovery mode. i pray it boots to the full system after doing this, i swear ill never touch that new file system crap ever again!

Attached Files:

10. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Unless you replaced your internal HHD drive with a SSD flash storage, converting it to APFS was a bad choice. I suspect you will need to erase the drive and reformat as HFS+ Mac OS Extended Journaled. If you don't have a backup, there are options to save your data before erasing.

11. Princess Cake, Oct 11, 2017

Princess Cake thread starter macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

im currently reinstalling HS from recovery, i dont know what the end result is honna be. Also I constantly make time machine backups but recovery mode wasnt able to find anything bootable from my time machine drive :/
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    Phhheeeeewwww!!!! thank god that worked! seriously, i was about to vomit from how upset i was >o< thanks for your assistence on this, guys! I really appreciate it!

So note to anyone with this problem, go into recovery mode, sign onto your wifi and reinstall high sierra, nothing will be lost :3

-And as a follow-up, it looks like the APFS file system installed cleanly after all that anyway so... thats nice I guess *sigh*

Attached Files:

12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I am getting desperate here, its a 2012 iMac and I thought itd be okay... I wish I never upgraded"

THIS is what having "a bootable backup drive" is all about...!
    IF you had one, you wouldn't be having so many problems right now.