Boris Johnson wins London Mayoral race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, May 2, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Sealing a positively dreadful election night for the UK's Labour Party, Conservative candidate Boris Johnson has ousted eight-year incumbent Ken Livingstone to become the Mayor of London. Boris's total of first and second preference votes totalled 1,168,738 against Ken's 1,028,966. Liberal Democrat ex-Police commander Brian Paddick came a distant third with 236,685 votes.

The Labour Party also lost 331 council seats across England and Wales in the May 1st elections.

BBC News

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Boris is a legend. Can't wait for more coverage of his ramblings.

In terms of overall results there are 45 councillors that I'd prefer not be there.

My area has 1 change in set which was for labour but only put them in joint last place but a ~10x margin.

4. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Can you name one paper in England that isn't biased?

6. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Sigh. The clown won. Look forward to the roads getting more congested, and the transport going back down the poo-hole.

Not a good day.Theres an Evening Standard van outside my house i'm tempted to set fire to.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Boris? I've always wondered if there's something else to the man aside from money and toffishness that got him where he is. I wondered at one point why the Tories had even put him up (may be they thought they didn't have a chance?), but now I wonder why anyone voted for him. That's not saying anything for Ken.. but Boris? He should just stick to HIGNFY.

8. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

The road congestion could have been sorted easily if only Ken had kept his promise to ensure the Boroughs, TfL and the utilities coordinated roadworks. It's been impossible to drive through Bloomsbury, Marylebone or Westminster over the past year. For instance, at times every major thoroughfare going south has been dug up between Kings Cross and Edgeware Road, some for water mains replacement, others for resurfacing, yet more for cabling works. Add in a whole bunch of bendy-busses on top of that blocking junctions and it's no surprise the city has been gridlocked. Also drivers have had no idea from one day to the next where the closed or narrowed roads are, since nobody has been enforcing the warning signs.

Anything is an improvement over that.

9. toontra macrumors 6502

Ken's campaign was lackluster. He's been running London for a very long time , on and off. What can a long-term incumbent say but "more of the same".

Where he really fell down though IMO was over the Lee Jasper affair. When the allegations were put to him, rather than say he'd investigate (as he is surely legally obliged to do), he instead totally defended Jasper saying he'd trust him "with his life" and hurled personal, childish abuse at the accusers, calling the London Assembly members who dared to ask about the case "a bunch of hypocrites".

This event showed two things:

1) He appeared to shrug off any kind of accountability for the use of public funds, leaving it to the police to sort out (i.e. kicking it into the long grass until after the election).

2) By putting total trust in Jasper (who eventually had to resign as the "alleged" evidence began to pile up), he showed very poor political judgement.

A combination of lack of accountability and poor political judgement usually spells the end.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

I just heard Ken on the radio. He's totally accepted responsibility for losing.

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

You know, people said that about George W. Bush's second term. 'Entertaining', it would seem, is a subjective term.

It's his personal view, he can write what he likes. The reason it was linked was because it trashed the 'Boris is legend' point of view that people seem to spout without caring one iota about policy or potential.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Boris Johnson is no George Bush. At least he has a sense of humour, and he was editor of a respected political journal, The Spectator.

13. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

More digustingly, the truly repulsive Richard Barnbrook has managed to snake-oil his way into an Assembly seat. Hopefully he'll be true to BNP form and hardly turn up, but it still beggars belief how many people in London think blaming others for their own bad situation is a solution, rather than getting off their arses and either working or educating themselves out if it.

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

But like GWB, if mistakes are made, there will always be Youtube clips to fall back on to have a good laugh. 'Lolz'.

'Yerr, look at his hair, lolz elects much.' No, I don't find him to be entertaining.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Boris himself, I think compared most politicians ( incompetent with a veneer of competence which is certainly true of much of the Labour cabinet of the last decade ) to himself ( competence with a veneer of incompetence ). I can buy that - and were I a Londoner, I would probably have voted for him.

Brooker's article was pointless. He didn't actually cite one iota of reasoning behind his hatred of Boris. Nothing that Boris has done badly, nothing he's screwed up, no evidence of genuine bumbling incompetence as a functioning politician. Just that he's genetically predisposed to hate tories, and thinks Boris is incompetent. He doesn't cite any reasons why Ken is good, nor any why Boris is bad. He lambasts the hand waving Boris fans for being fond of his ineptitude, but then hand waves at Ken for being 'not Boris'. It's the same crime.

Doug

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I had read that article before ;)

However I do think he plays up to the media no end and it serves him a purpose and he plays it well, after all he got voted in because of it.

Just as there are people would think he is a legend there are those who thinks he is a prat, all based on his facade of a persona.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ken was the better candidate, but just because he was labour he got voted out.

If Boris actually does a good job, I think we'll be seeing a conservative government come next election :(

20. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Corrected that emoticon for you :p

21. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I don't think that was it. The corruption allegations and the way Ken handled them got a lot of peoples' backs up. There was also a feeling amongst many that progress in the city had run as far as it could under Ken's leadership.

Let's not detract from Ken's record. We do have more police on the streets and public transport has improved. But the majority of Londoners thought it time for a change of leadership.

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Anyone else think that this is exactly the result that David Cameron and the Conservative Party didn't want?

As for the Charlie Brooker article: CHARLIE BROOKER IS A LEGERND!!!!!!!

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ken is Labour in name only, he doesn't really get on with the Labour leadership, it was he corruption that sunk him IMO.

We'll be seeing a conservative government next time anyway, we need to get some fresh blood. Personally I'm not convinced Cameron is any better, but still.

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well I, and many like me, are very happy this morning. Ken has done a lot of harm and had to go. His continual failure to listen to the electorate when he asked (the Western Congestion Charge Zone for example), the cronyism, the lies (the congestion charge is not a success as he keeps claiming but a resounding failure) had to end. And they have.