Bose QuietComfort 2 - Worth the money? Or waste of money?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ubundows, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ubundows macrumors member

I'll most likely be buying a iMac 24" after the product refresh later this month and want some decent peripherals to go with it.

I've been looking through the apple store for some since I'm not too keen on the idea of buying from places that usually cater mainly to PC users.

I've come accross these:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/T6832LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0MA&mco=MTEyMDMyMA

They're really expensive, but they look quite good and I have a budget just about big enough to include them if they're worth it.

Anyone here bought them? and would you suggest I do the same?

2. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

My dad has the Quietcomfort 2 and I have the QC3 and we both love them. The sound quality is excellent and the build on them is superb. If you can try and find a bose outlet store around you and save money.

3. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Reading the reviews on that page, it seems to be a mixed bag.

I've got a pair of Panasonic RP-HTX7's that I love.

4. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I have the original QuietComfort headphones and I love them. The sound is fantastic but they are expensive. I took them a flight awhile back and while they don't completely cancel out ambient noise, it's more than adequate. I use them on my MacBook Pro when on the go.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm, what exactly are your uses and you have a problem with IEMs. The general consensus here will be "don't buy Bose" If you really need the noise-cancelling cans, might I recommend the Beats by Dre by Monster as an alternative.

If you just want some cans and dont care about noise-cancelling: Grado.
    If you don't mind IEMs: Shure SE530s, Shure e4/5

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

So gimmicky... Just get a pair of Sennheiser 212PROs and be done with it. Better audio quality and still blocks out sound.

7. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

I am no audiophile but i know my sound quality

I have the bose qc3s. They are not worth the money. Maby 250 but not over 300. I would highly suggest you look elsewhere

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

You can buy something very similar in features at a much better price. Stay away from bose - it's all marketing.

9. adolfop macrumors newbie

Bose Headphones

I've had both the QC2 & now have QC3. I think they're great. The sound quality is perfect and the noise canceling is great too.

Buy it with confidence. The QC3 are a little less comfortable than the QC2 but they are more compact.

Good luck!

10. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

Ya they do sound great. I love bose. But the headphones are not worth the price

Look at other ones op

11. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

Are the headset you mentioned on-ear or around ear? because one of the reasons I liked the look of the bose was that they don't look like they'll break with in months like all my other headsets and like they'll fit me comfortably.

Also do they have noise cancelling or do they just happen to cancel out noise?

I notice their in the ipod section of the apple store, are they compatible with imacs and macbook pros?

12. Tosser macrumors 68030

Hmm, they're really not that good. But then again neither is the Bose.
    For less than the Bose he could get a pair of true monitors – the Sennheiser HD25-1s. They are excellent at blocking sound (I particularly like them for monitoring in noisy environments), they're super sturdy and you can buy every part as a spare part, should you step on them on a concrete floor.

My first 25-1s lasted ten years, until I stepped on them (on a conrete floor …). I decided though, it was about time simply buying new ones – saving the old ones and use them as spare parts should I be unfortunate.

They are closed on-ear headphones. Just like the Bose. They don't have noise cancelling, though, but that is a good thing in my book. The same goes for the Senny HD25-1s.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

no noise cancelling. Many people will find the 212s to be outstanding headphones, especially for the price. Also, no noise cancelling means no loss of audio quality. Noise blocking is better and in most cases just as effective