Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I got a G4 iBook. On my desk at work I have a set of Boston Digital BA 735 speakers that are plugged into my Gateway computer. I sorta thought I could take the speaker cable, plug it into my headphone jack, and whammo, it would work.

It does not.

I even tried a 1/4 mono to stereo adapater. Still not working.

I did some Google searching and found that these speakers may require a "digital soundcard" or something of the sort. Lots of talk about drivers as well.

Anyone have any experiance with these?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I've got that same set of speakers from my old Gateway. I couldn't get digital to work on my PB 12" G4 (only G5s have digital sound). I couldn't find any drivers either.

I could get it to work by using the anologue port but I could only get mono sound through one of the speakers. So it wasn't that good.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. It's not a problem with your iBook, it's just a lack of function. Pity, because those are good speakers.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
maybe I could run the headphone jack INTO the Gateway, and somehow route the sound into the PC speakers. Heh... stupid things. Someday I'll work someplace where they have Macs :)

jax23

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2004
did anyone figure out a way to do this?

i'm having the same problem...just wanted to see if it's possible. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.