Boston Prepares for Free Speech Rally (Aug 2017)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Huntn, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The question is do violent Right Wing Organizations like White Nationalists and Neo Nazi expect to be allowed to peddle their hate without pushback? Ideally it's not physical from either side.

Charlottesville Wounds Still Fresh, Boston Girds for Dueling Protests

BOSTON — This city was bracing for a rally on Saturday that was expected to draw thousands of demonstrators, some of them advocating free speech, while many others, fearing that the rally would attract white nationalists, were promising a major counterdemonstration.

The dueling demonstrations in Boston, along with rallies expected over the weekend in a handful of other cities, come at an extraordinarily tense moment, a week after violence broke out in Charlottesville, Va., and as a national debate was unfolding over questions of race, violence and the fate of Confederate symbols. Here, in a city accustomed to frequent demonstrations on Boston Common, the nation’s oldest public park, no one seemed certain what to expect on Saturday, while city officials announced plans for a heavy police presence and a policy of zero tolerance for violence.

--- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2017 ---
    Reported on PBS Radio this morning: No weapons or signs on sticks allowed at protest sites. Any teeth nashing over violation of 2nd Amendment?

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

3. 0007776 Suspended

The first amendment means there can be no pushback from the government, it doesn't say anything about no pushback from society as a whole.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

That's what I'm referencing. :)

5. zin Suspended

ANTIFA members are attacking officers of the Boston Police Department, rushing them whilst wearing masks and throwing rocks, bottles of urine, and other projectiles.

No Nazis in sight so they attack the police. Note this is happening three hours after the 'free speech' rally ended.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

This is your version of Trump messaging? ...fail dude as much as you want the Left to wear the villain masks. :oops: :rolleyes: I've been listening to coverage throughout the day. A city police spokesperson said 27 arrests out of 20-30k mostly anti- protest people who showed up. A huge difference is unlike Charlottsville, a city in the NE proactively keep the peace, kept the weapons out, and kept the WSs seperated from the 20k. They mentioned people in vests, who were wearing vests such as militia wear, who showed up to cause trouble, but they did not mention WS or Anti-fa.

7. zin Suspended

Just posting an update on the topic of the thread...

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

It's too bad we don't get the same kind of thoughtful updates in your Supreme Leader coverage. :rolleyes:

9. DoctorDoctor Suspended

lol. There is no doubt liberal protesters wear villain masks. If you don't think so then you have been sleeping under a rock. Do some searching on Google. Tons and tons of videos showing ANTIFA members causing all sorts of violence, looting and destruction of property. Nice try though making them out to be peaceful protesters.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

We did :

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/politics/trump-tweet-boston-protests/index.html

"
    Later, Trump tweeted that the protests might help heal decades-old divisions.
    "Our great country has been divided for decades," he wrote. "Sometimes you need protest in order to heal, & we will heal, & be stronger than ever before!"
    "I want to applaud the many protestors in Boston who are speaking out against bigotry and hate," he continued. "Our country will soon come together as one!""

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

your mistaking liberal protestors with far left protestors. but don't let that get in the way. trying to lump everyone together just makes you into a trump. watch out real scary.
    IMG_2177.JPG

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Look at who you are focused on and look at the numbers, piss poor job from your corner. You are never going to be able to paint rank and file liberals with your tainted conservative brush. :)

From Zin? Right... :rolleyes:

13. DoctorDoctor Suspended

It would appear Liberals are so consumed by hate and violence they no longer know what they are protesting. All it takes is a white guy getting up on a podium and these people assume it is a racist thing and lose their minds. As far as I can tell this was just a free speech rally. Surely you Liberals support free speech ? Well, I guess as long as it is your speech. Anyone else and they should be silenced.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Unless it was the government cracking down on these people their free speech was honored

15. 827538 macrumors 65816

Trying to have a sensible political discussion with Americans in 2017 is like smashing your hand in a door repeatedly.

To those arguing. It doesn't matter if they are Nazis, racists, Antifa or whatever. Free speech is free speech and trying to shut it down because you find it repugnant or offensive is repugnant in itself.
    American's don't understand how lucky they have it, I can't think of any other country that truly enshrines real free speech in law. My country doesn't and we end up suppressed and with the Police chasing down mean tweeters.

Forget your political leanings, you either support free speech in full or you don't. Stop calling it hate speech and trying to silence it. Try countering it with reasoned and well researched arguments, because censorship never works.

16. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

So many can just see the applied labels and think the world revolves around only this.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Consumed by hate and violence? Ludicrous. Go speak at a Trump rally.

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yep.

Enough with the huffing and puffing about free speech. If someone decides to end a planned public speech of their own accord because of the size of the opposition present, no one's free speech was violated. The first amendment does not give you the right to an audience. It does not give you the right to not be protested.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It sounds like for the most part everything went pretty smoothly considering tens of thousands of counter protesters showed up. I commend the BPD on doing a good job keeping things civil and the people of Boston and beyond for being for the most part, respectful. As I expected, very few people showed up for the "free speech rally"... somewher in the dozens.

There were some reports of violence, but it sounds pretty minimal. There will always be at least a few bag eggs in something this heated. A lot of times these people are mentally ill... on both sides. Most sane people don't throw urine at cops or beat up an old woman waving an American flag. Or have so much hatred to blame other races for the worlds problems.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The organizers of the free speech rally said they had no affiliation with Nazis or KKK.

Went fairly smoothly besides the left throwing bottles at the police.

21. 0007776 Suspended

Free speech means the government can't shut you down. It doesn't mean people have to listen to your ideas.

22. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Been reading up on the remains of this Rally and ran across this (ARTICLE)
    The chuckle went well over a cold one.... ;)

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I always laugh my ass off at The Blaze articles too, but for a very different reason that you do, I suspect.

In part because of its association with Glenn Beck, Master of a 1,000 Costumes.

[​IMG]

24. Rhonindk, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Didn't know that. :eek:
    The Blaze is a news feed (article) for me. One of many. :cool:

An additional thought - sometimes an article is just comical and really has nothing to do with other discussions.

25. JayMysterio, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

A little video...

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/898989750295470080

And about 45's twitter game...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat..._as_anti_police_agitators_misspells_heal.html