Boston talk radio host suspended for comments.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fotografica, Apr 30, 2009.

1. fotografica macrumors 68040

Not the first time he's been in trouble:
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/04/_jay_severin.html

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The flu has definitely brought the crazies out of the woodwork.

3. fotografica thread starter macrumors 68040

Sad part is,that's his "act"..He got booted a few years ago for his comments on Muslims,now this. Nobody around here is surprised. It was just a matter of time before it happened again..

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Isn't that standard right-wing fare? Hardly any different from the hate spewed by Limbaugh, Savage, Beck, etc. on a daily basis? :confused:

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Well I don't think the criminaliens remark was really that bad.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They are entertainers, if they aren't entertaining and over the top they lose their jobs. Ive seen the beck show a few times and have never heard him being particularly hateful in his words. Ive never listened to Rush or Savage, but I have heard enough to figure out that they are over the top on purpose also.

If hes referring to illegal aliens I would say its spot on. Its not PC to refer to illegals as criminals though, even though their name illegals implies that they are criminals, probably has something to do with them performing illegal activities.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Follow the money!!" always works for me in these situations. ;)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My point exactly. To which you responded, and I quote, ":rolleyes:".

They've all made pretty insensitive comments about Mexican nationals. Limbaugh has called the ones who want to leave Mexico "a renegade, potential criminal element that was poor and unwilling to work", Savage has urged people to burn the Mexican flag, and said that al Qaeda is using Mexicans as "weapons of mass destruction", and as for Beck: "On the May 5 edition of his nationally syndicated radio program, new CNN host Glenn Beck aired a mock commercial for a fictional amusement park called "Cinco de Flag," that touted rides such as the "tractor-trailer run," in which "[w]e simulate an 18-wheeler full of illegal immigrants trying to cross the border when the INS [Immigration and Naturalization Service] breaks in." The mock commercial also advertised the "craziest ride ever to come to Mexico: a job application!" The commercial added: "Feel the exhilaration of what it would actually be like to apply for and get a job in Mexico. Imagine the rush of an economy that won't make residents of its country prefer a life away from family while running from the law." After the commercial ended, Beck played the 1958 song "Tequila" by The Champs in celebration of Cinco de Mayo, referring to it as the "Mexican national anthem," and added, "and, of course, we changed the words to English."

So I'm not seeing why this guy gets suspended for doing pretty much what these other guys have done. You?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Nope, except he has had the unfortunate result of having his feet held to the fire.

Life is grossly unfair, especially for the "media" trying to crank out a living. ;)

11. fotografica thread starter macrumors 68040

He's been on a thin leash with the radio station since his first suspension:

He got back on the air after he hired a couple of high priced lawyers and screamed censorship. The radio station was looking for their out and this was it.To listeners around here,it's nothing new. I'm sure some station that wants to boost their ratings will pick him up.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I fully expect he will reinvent his career when he does one of two things:

1. Caught beating up a transvestite hooker when he borrows his mom's minivan.

or

2. Fight to keep the video of him and the transvestite hooker from being sold, and not because he is embarrassed -- but because the schoolgirl outfit makes him look fat.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ah, priceless. They come in to, for the most part, earn some money to send back home. If they could get a decent job in Mexico, they would have stayed there.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This guy gets fired, and the other racist pigs like Limbaugh, Beck and Dobbs are still on the air. Why is no one firing them?