Both of my Macbooks won´t turn on, taking it in, will it cost me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fred87nc, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Fred87nc macrumors member

I have a white early 2008 macbook and a unibody late 2008 13 inch macbook. The unibody broke down ,and won´t turn on, the charger gave me a dim light. now yesterday the white one gave me a dim red light and said not charging while the computer was on, but it would hold charge while plugged in, during the night the battery ran out and now it wont turn on....

is this my fault in anyway? only way I can see it is my current at my house messing it up. but can I be put at fault for it? I haven´t dropped or spilled neither computer...

Will Apple Charge me?

they are both under limited warranty that comes with the macbook for one year.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Under warranty = no charge.

Sounds like the house. I would get a surge protector. Probably Apple care to extend the coverage.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    As long as it is within the first year, the Genius Bar will service it for you.

4. Fred87nc thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks, so even if it was my house,the electricity is pretty wack here, they will still cover it? they don´t find it my fault?

also another question, I only have my receipt for the unibody since I just bought it a few months ago, do I need any receipt for the Other one? I dont remember if I registered it or anything.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Sometimes I can't believe the total lack of common sense here when people give advice. No manufacturer of anything warranties damage that isn't their fault. Take both of those macs in at the same time and I guarantee it will raise all kinds of red flags.

Do it one at a time.

6. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I second the one at a time approach. Then invest in a good surge protector.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If your electricity is THAT spotty in quality, I wouldn't count on a surge protector alone, but I'd get a power conditioner or a UPS Battery Backup to put between you and the outlet.

Either that, or call your Power Utility provider and see if they can help you.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wrong.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I didn't know the OP had purchased the extra accidental policy.

Oops... I guees he didn't. :eek:. That means his macs are subject to section "b" of the standard Apple warranty:

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

Ya think?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You stated:

...to which a clear counterexample has been provided. It has little to do with Applecare, which doesn't cover accidental damage, but more to do with your ignorance of various manufacturer's warranty policies.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

And has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's problem.

Thanks for the useless factoid about accidental service protection (for a Dell no less here in a Mac forum).

Man, some of the crap you people bog down on. Amazing.

12. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I'm not saying any of this is your fault, but unless you have other electrical problems in your house, the house isn't the problem either. I know you said that the electricity was kinda crazy their, but do you have any problems with your tvs or other appliances?