Both Republican Oklahoma Senators oppose disaster relief funding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 21, 2013.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How do two men who believe that neighbors don't take care of each other continue to be elected in a state that ferverntly believes in the power of community?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

According to some, we just can't afford those free rides any more. :eek:

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Except, Oklahoma's governor was talking about how their economy is booming, their unemployment is low, and this will set them back. Can they afford not to invest in rebuilding? If these Senators get their way, and rebuilding doesn't happen, the economy in their state will suffer. On the other hand, if they achieve offsets, then they are harming the economies elsewhere so that their state gets a larger share of the pie.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's not forget that the vast majority of red states already receive a larger share of the pie.

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

So the two Senators from Oklahoma are opposed to increased spending without budget cuts to fund disaster relief in other parts of the country and stick to it when disaster strikes their own backyard? Politics aside, that is commendable.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it would be commendable if they both resigned the second the first penny of federal aid lands in OK.

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

So if you don't get your way you take your ball and go home? We have different ideas of what is commendable.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the first part doesn't make any sense, but on the second i think we agree.

they voted against helping people in other states and against funding FEMA so it can properly work.
    if FEMA help and federal funds go to Oklahoma, as it is right, they should resign if they have any integrity. if they do, then that would be 'commendable'.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I was going to question what you were talking about with being commendable, but with this explanation, I completely agree.

This one is personal for me, as I may be on my way out to help my father and 3 sets of aunts and uncles and their families. My dad lived in Moore, but recently moved to Midwest City. One aunt/uncle are in Midwest city, while the other is in Edmond. No word on their place. Similarly, my parents' hometown was hit by a tornado as well; luckily, it only uprooted a tree in my grandmother's backyard.

I'm no-where near calling my family 'entitled', as they could rebuild on their own, but for those who can't and need assistance, for these two Senators to reject funding FEMA then cry for it when they need it (if that is indeed what they are doing) is absolutely disgusting. Coburn in particular, as he is Cherokee and should know this land and how it lives/breathes.

But I think of it this way; either way they maneuver, they show their true colors: They either keep their integrity and stick to their principles, but at the cost of telling each of their constituents who lost everything how they are not going to get anything back..

Or they cry foul by losing their integrity and asking for FEMA's help when they opposed funding it. They could not have it both ways.

Either option either is or is short of political suicide. I can't wait to see which road they will take.

BL.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is consistent.

Consistently stupid.

But consistent.

I will give them that.

11. TedM macrumors 6502

So from what I heard the Oklahoma Senators claimed they didn't vote for Sandy Hook aid because it was bloated with pork. This claim I just heard today in response to someone questioning their asking for aid. My response, is if that is true I understand, but why oh why did you wait till now to mention it. Makes me feel like its just a blatant lie that this info is being released now.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

For some reason the slightly paraphrased saying ..."hoist on their own petard"...comes to mind.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"By", not "on": a petard is a fart. :)

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

A petard is a small bomb used to breach a wall or door.

petard |piˈtärd|
    noun historical
    a small bomb made of a metal or wooden box filled with powder, used to blast down a door or to make a hole in a wall.
    • a kind of firework that explodes with a sharp report.

Source

You may be thinking of the performer Le Pétomane...who farted music and blew out candles from a remarkable distance.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed, called a pétard because of its resemblance to an explosive fart.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

AHA!

Learn something new every day...thanks skunk!:D

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Someone lied to us about the body count. I eagerly await Benghazi! style investigations to figure out what to impeach the governor over. Since we're being intellectually consistent and all.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, you know, the higher the body count, the less disaster relief they will need, dead people are not that much in need of help.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think they need to fire all the math teachers in OK. Obviously they are the ones who caused the incorrect count.

Long time no see...

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Since when does saying we need to find offsetting money in the budget to fund aid translate to opposition of disaster relief funding?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I know huh! Life's been crazy, but I had downtime between two meetings today and, well... Idk if I can stay long, I tend to get sucked in. I'll try. :)

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, you know, if you want to vote (repeatedly) for spending nearly two trillion dollars "off the books" on an absurdly ill-advised war and not look for ways to actually fund it, it seems at best disingenuous to require real, useful aid to Americans right here in the borders to be duly offset. I mean, who is responsible for getting the government into this fiscal strait in the first place? ____wads.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

IMO it's just a terrible way to operate.

Using natural disasters as pretext for government cuts is a disingenuous approach to reducing the size government. Disasters occur regularly and there must be ways to plan and prepare for their inevitable costs.

The following table is from the Office of Management and Budget ...

Do you see a problem with inconsistently cutting the government anywhere between 2-37 billion dollars a year based on which way the wind blows?

Is tha sound fiscal policy?

Is that any way to run a country?

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Seen from Europe it is quite shocking, to see politicians instead of working together to help the victims of this disaster trying to push their own agenda.

But it really does fully illustrate the "Dog in the Manger" attitude of US politics today.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dog-in-the-manger.html