Both Sides of the limited launch issue in a respectful dialogue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

As with all things, there are two perspectives on this issue. Lets talk about it in this thread without the anger, name calling, or immaturity. Lets try to approach this with an open mind, open but respectful dialogue, and letting go of your anger or frustration with apple and/or others' opinions.

First, lets look at Apple's perspective:

They are a business, first and foremost. I think that is important to realize here. They are massive and supply many, many people with their own personal devices. They make decisions to make money. They have lots of employees to pay. Ultimately, they have the right to make money any way they can. Whether it is selling us overpriced cases, or selling us professional and excellent devices. They have the right to make those decisions and as the customer, we have the right to buy or not.

We realize there are business reasons for apple to "rush" a product launch. The sooner it's out there, the sooner they make money. The better for them against their competition. Do they like the attention of having limited supply and high demand? Maybe. None of us really know what is going on in their heads. But I think we can all agree that we don't know all the facts and that there are probably very good business reasons to do this.

Now the customer:

Now, lets understand the customer's pspective. Some of you feel that if Apple has a product launch, there should be ample supply in all colors and all configurations. Mainly so that we aren't waiting in lines for hours only to be turned away. Or that we aren't spending hours tracking down a phone at a local store. Whether or not you agree with these feelings, you have to agree that people do feel this way. I can understand the frustration. These people feel as if they aren't being treated well by Apple. We spend a lot of money on these devices and want better treatment.

Ultimately, I understand both sides. There are times when I feel as if apple is a business and has the right to make whatever decisions they want to. There are other times when I wish a little more consideration would be taken with a launch. Perhaps pre-orders a few weeks ahead so that you can gauge demand and alter manufacturing accordingly.

Perhaps there is a compromise in between. Here is what I ultimately hope: That apple consider its customer's frustration in the future and that the customers realize its a business and they themselves may be making the same decisions they are. You have to sit in the other persons' shoes before truly judging their thoughts.

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

They 5S launch went a little smoother in my opinion. The posts here are very typical of past launches.

Overall Apple did very well

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

They have a tight product cycle, and are now trying to produce products for simultaneous launch around the world. I think based on their time frame for production and the number of products they need to produce, they have a hard time meeting initial demand. Previous launches began only in the US if I recall correctly.
    d

4. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

What people don't understand is they are creating demand by launching the way they do. IMO they do it on purpose. What happens when someone says you can't have something? It makes you want it even more. Does it work on everyone? No but for most it does.

5. Demonface macrumors 6502a

If they say they don't have something in stock and that you can't have it makes u want it more and you'll be like why can't I have it ?

6. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Wrong.

7. Finz72 macrumors regular

Thank you for this thread. We need a thread that people can share opinions and won't get personally attacked for their thoughts.

8. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Personally, and I can't speak for everyone on the consumer side, I had no issues with the lack of supply and I've never said that they should have launched later.

My issues is that Apple neglected to inform its customers of the availability of certain colors/configurations, and since Apple is one of the greatest supply chain marvels on the history of history this could only have been done deliberately.

There were a lot of people (like me) who would have purchased an iphone either way, but would have liked to have had a little more information so my buying experience could have been a little better.

9. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Does nobody realize that waiting in line is personal and risky? Apple has timelines, manufacturing, and investors to deal with.

10. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Without personal attacks, do you feel as if apple has a moral obligation to inform customers of limited supply before release? Your instinct may say yes, but there are business downsides to that as well.

11. Finz72 macrumors regular

I personally would like Apple to acknowledge that there is a shortage and to try and accurately forecast when consumers can expect supply to be sufficient for fulfillment. A generic "October" shipment date really doesn't tell me a thing, in fact, it speaks loudly to the fact ( in my opinion) that they really don't know when certain models will be available.

12. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I wouldn't say that they have a moral obligation or any obligation at all really.

Honestly, they don't even have to say they have limited supply. Just tell people what colors/configurations are available so they can make an informed decision in whether or not to show up on launch day. They could have done this through the online site for each individual store.

Like I said, if you are the type of person that tries to get an iPhone on launch day, you're not exactly a flight risk to apple. None of these people were going to walk away and buy a GS4. There was no reason to not give them the info they needed to make an informed decision.

13. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

That is a good point. The people who camp out are not people who are going to buy a samsung out of anger.

Yet there are a lot of people in between who are waiting for a shipping estimate.

----------

Although I will say that if apple employees are specifically told to lie to customers because they won't want to give carrier phones to tmobile customers, then I do have moral issues with that

14. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Why do people feel they have to justify something with their stupid logic? Who gives a _ _ _ _??? Nobody is reading all that!!!

15. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

That's true shipping is a whole other animal. To be honest, I believe Apple has been straight up with people as far as shipping estimates. I really don't think they can know when a phone is going to ship at this stage since the initial stock is long gone. There are so many parts in the supply chain.

Unlike the in store stock. They knew exactly what they had in stores.

16. Roller macrumors 68020

They should do whatever is best for their business, whether it's managing product availability or keeping their customers informed. But I don't view that as a moral obligation.

I don't recall specifically what Apple said about availability of the 5s prior to release, but I do remember reading that supplies would be quite constrained for a while. I've always known that ordering online very early or waiting in line at an Apple or a carrier's store was the best way to get an iPhone quickly. Neither avenue was open to me this time around, so I'll wait.

17. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

They released a week too early IMHO. Should have brought stock up more and after release did a pick up ONLY at the stores. No lines. Order at 10 pm for pickup in the morning. No walk ins. This would have been far better after launch day than what they are doing now. People simply do not have the time to wait in a line after launch day. Very simply would have been a much better approach. They should also have taken better care with stock to their carriers. Grey only was a insult to their partners.

----------

Absolutely should be a moral obligation to their end users. Run a business and try not doing that. Its all about ethics moral obligation and treating their customers as fair as possible. Bottom line

18. BeeGood, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Here is how I handle launch day. I think my idea is simple and would produce the least amount of consumer griping:

Do pre orders, but do them as early as possible, preferably on 9/10. Sell *only* what exists and guarantee in store pickup on launch day. If you sell out you sell out. Don't take any more orders until you have more phones.

If you want, tell them they have to be in line at launch date by 8AM or they forfeit their order and will be refunded.

That way, Apple still gets their launch day lines/mania and customers get what they want.

19. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Those are good ideas but here's what I don't like about what you said:

I personally don't like your 8AM idea. You are pretty much telling people they have to take off a day/morning of work just to get a phone that was already ordered. That is a little extreme. Perhaps give them say 3 days to pick it up, okay, or at least give them until the end of the day. Or maybe have them reserve a time online with a 4 hour window or something. Something that the customer has control over.

I personally am okay with in-store pickups of preorders. But people will complain about not having a nearby apple store. Perhaps make a deal with best buy or someone else for these areas.

I'm not certain I like the idea of apple not taking additional preorders if they are out of stock. It is certainly not a good business move, as they allow people to change their minds and go for another phone.

20. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

To your first point, I would personally prefer to pick up at my convenience but I am convinced apple wants their launch day lines. Will will have almost no lines if you do pre orders that early because there will be nothing to sell in stores.

To your second point, I believe a lot of the issues people are having today is that they are ordering phones that are yet to be built. You can always do regular online ordering on launch day.

21. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

The thing I hate most of all is the 3rd party resellers.

The limited stock is turning big electronics chains in to scalpers; charging hundreds of euros more than RRP just because they can.

Meanwhile, those same shops are telling people who have already ordered and paid from them that they'll need to wait between 4 and 6 weeks for their devices (reinforcing the stock shortage).

At least 3 major, nationwide electronics chains in Germany are doing this. They're holding stock back from those who have already ordered and paid, so that they can sell their devices for a huge markup.

I'd like to see Apple being tougher on these stores. One of the things I've always liked about Apple is how they treat all buyers of their products (whether from an Apple store or 3rd party store) as Apple customers.