Bottle of whisky bought for £32,000

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
... and promptly downed the same night :eek: :p

At 32 big ones a bottle, I'd have pee'd it back into the bottle to enjoy again to make sure I got my money's worth! :eek: :p

Rinky dink link

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Thats nuts, but I guess some people have that kind of money and interests.

I paid $125 USD for a bottle of Un Emile, and that is pretty much the top limit I'd spend on a bottle of anything.

Applespider

macrumors G4
It was the first bottle of that blend ever drunk? It makes more sense to buy it and drink it than it does to buy it for it to sit on a shelf. That's why it was made after all.

I certainly hope he enjoyed it and that the hangover wasn't too bad.

mad jew said:
You'd think they'd be the same number.
Here's a discussion about that very thing. How much fuss the # (hash/pound/octothorpe) sign has caused. Link

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
damn....

A spokeswoman for Whyte and Mackay said she believed the Matheson was the first Dalmore 62 to have been opened and tasted by its owner.
almost have to wonder why you'd make it and just let it sit around not to be tasted. The longer it sits, the more chance something stupid might happen to it. Having tasted a few good single malts, its hard to imagine what this one could have tasted like. I'd just love to smell the empty bottle :D

D

Applespider

macrumors G4
Incidentally, if these high values for bottles are justified based on their rarity, how much have the other 11 bottles gone up in value by overnight?

I'm also surprised that the hotel only made a £700 profit on it. Perhaps the bar manager discounted it slightly in return for his tasting dram.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
mad jew said:
Who's keys you pounding?

My $ key is SHIFT-4.
My £ key is OPTION-3.

You'd think they'd be the same number.
(as an american:eek:) i think it makes sense having it on the # (referred to as pound over here, not sure about in the UK) but i wish apple would print it on the key like some manufacturers do cause sometimes i forget :eek: i looked up £32k to see how much it is--$58,595.2!! why on earth would someone spend that much money on a bottle of whisky? oughta be damned good for the price of a car :eek:

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hmmmm..... whisky... hmmm YUM!

£32,000 @ 700ml = £45.71 every single drop which wastes... a mouth full (50ml) would be worth... £2285.5. I need some of that.

Translated: :p
$58,300.8 @ 23.7 fluid ounces = $83.21 every single drop which wastes... a mouth full(1.69 fluid ounces) would be worth... $4163.95

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I would crack up if it ended up tasting like vinegar or something but sine he spent 32 large on it he felt he had to down the whole thing anyway.

Could be why the taster put it back and thats why it sat for so long. :D

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Well, you can't take it with you, and if you have that much more than you need you may as well spend it on something.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
The bar manager - who negotiated the £32,000 price tag - was lucky enough to be offered a glass and told Mr Broadhead it was the "most beautiful thing" he had ever tasted.
I'm willing to bet it just tasted like whiskey.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
SpaceMagic said:
It certainly wouldn't have tasted like whiskey, more like whisky I'm sure. ;)
Right, it's Scottish, sorry. Let me rephrase:
I'm willing to bet it just tasted like uisge beatha. :p

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Why didn't the guy give me the money? I would have found a much better use for it... really!

Oh well... I guess he really needed that whisky :( and that I'm never gonna buy a 17" PB.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
anyone else feel like the guy should have at least thrown up a post in the drunk thread after that? :p

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I feel regal when I pop for a 25yr old bottle of MACALLAN. I would be wrought with fear of spilling my drink, probably holding it tightly like a 3 yr old with 2 hands firmly wrapped around the glass. :p

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I think that it's obscene to spend that much money on a bottle of booze - I don't care how old it is.

Mind you, the other half of me is thinking that i'm glad that he drank it as it seems pointless just having it for the sake of it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Yeah, I don't think that much money should be spent on booze either, and I also don't care how old it is. It can't taste THAT much better than a bottle at half the price, or even 1/10th the price. Even at £1000, you're getting into an area where the your liquor is going to be ***** ace, and any extra money spent on it isn't worth that added goodness.

If you have that much money, donate it to charity and buy yourself that sweet £1000 bottle of whiskey instead.