Bottom line: iPhone 3G, 3.1.3, 5.12.01- can you jailbreak? Mixed msgs everywhere!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by zub3qin, Apr 11, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I have searched all the hacking forums, and seem to be getting mixed messages.

Does anyone know if you have
    a) a virgin (never jailbroken/unlocked) iPhone 3G (not 3GS),
    b) running iPhone OS 3.1.3 and,
    c) modem firmware 5.12.01 and,
    d) have a MAC (not PC)

Can you easily jailbreak this?

My goal is simply to get MyWi for my iPad.
    I also plan on getting the next gen iPhone when it is out. I know I won't be able to tether with the new OS, so my hope is that I can simply pop the sim out and use it in my current iPhone, whenever I need to wirelessly tether my iPad, and then pop it back in to the new iPhone when I am done. Would it be that easy?

Thanks so much iPhone enthusiasts, for your guidance!

2. tnisatard macrumors 6502

according the jailbreak matrix you can

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

(made by a forum user which i thought was really useful) im not sure if its accurate though

3. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

bottom line: no
    you cannot jailbreak a 3.1.3 3gs iphone unless u have pressed make my life easier on sauriks cydia app on a jailbroken iphone. (so needs to have been jailbroken before)

This is stated everywhere, you just dont want to believe it... look at half the threads in hack section asking same thing with same answer...

this information is wrong.. read on

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He said 3G NOT 3GS.
    You can JB a 3G model but not unlock it on 3.1.3

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

my bad jeez... sorry lol
    i have been seeing so many 3gs threads it makes me crazy

My apiologies, you can jailbreak, i owuld use an iClarified tutorial to do so.]
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4254

that is for a amc so it should work great... sorry for the mix up goodluck jailbreaking.

6. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Thanks!

And is there anything special i should do if my only intent for jailbreaking is to install MyWi (i need it for my iPad)?

If I ever want to restore my iPhone 3G back to virgin state, I still can, right?

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Can't answer the first question but if you want to restore you can do so in iTunes, a DFU-restore is recommended.

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Nothing special you have to do, but I would recommend getting the MyWi (No Rock) version in Cydia. Rock just sucks ;)

9. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

To clarify, you can always un-jailbreak your iPhone by doing a simple restore in iTunes. So if you need to bring it to the Apple store they will never know:p

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Totally agree. I dumped my Rock Apps, went with MyWi (No Rock) and uninstalled Rock. Best thing I ever did for my jb'n iPhone.

11. erch63 macrumors member

I used redsnow to jailbreak my 3G, it worked great. I did it as a first time, with all the same stats 3.1.3 and 5.12.XX.

I am however having a problem getting mywi working. It keeps crashing before I can even enter my rock id info. I cannot find the answer whether it will work on this setup. Help???

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I mistakenly did the Rock version. I had numerous stability issues which I eventually solved. Can I switch to the non-Rock version without repaying?

13. ronnyuk macrumors member

How did you use redsnow to jailbreak a 3.1.3, the 0.92 version does not recognise the 3.1.3 IPSW

Also to note everyone keeps saying you can jailbreak 3.1.3 but if you have never jailbroke before i am finding it impossible using windows 7 64bit, snowbreeze creates a custom ipsw but it will not restore using itunes for love nor money.

So don't listen to everything everyone says, if anyone has a definate answer and a guide that works, please post it. thx

Ok I have done it now and some guides are confusing for windows users.

Here is how it's done,
    Download Redsnow version 0.9.4
    Download IPSW 3.1.2

Install redsnow and follow instructions, even though you have 3.1.3 on your phone, it overwrites it with the 3.1.2 ipsw and cydia etc works fine.

Also you will lose any data, ie your messages, apps etc, don't quote me on this, but i didn't, it would be worth doing a backup in itunes first though.

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

From what I've been told (when the No Rock version just became available a few weeks back), you should be able to do it without repaying just by using the same login info

15. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

i have a 3g also

i jailbroke mine on a MAC, using REDSNOW using the ispw, 3.1.2 for a 3.1.3

thats all there is too it, after jailbreaking installing on cydia

you can try unlocking by downloading fuzzyband to check your boot rom if its 5.08 if it is you can unlock

16. AlexTheMan macrumors newbie

I have a 3G, 3.1.3, 5.12.01. I had it jailbroken on Windows 7 32bit using Snowbreeze. I used the guide at redmondpie.com. A friend with the same configuration jailbroke his using Redsnow 0.9.4 via the guide at the same website.

So either method should work.

Now I am waiting for a way to unlock it!!