BOTTOM LINE: Who is or already has reverted back to 1st Gen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phils08, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Phils08 macrumors newbie

IMO the 3G build quality is kind of crappy and yes 3G is faster but at least for me EDGE was working at a pretty decent pace. Hands down the 1st Gen phone build is FAR superior!

I am considering going back to my 1st gen phone and wanted to see if others are doing the same.

Does anyone know if I can return the 3G to apple and be backed out of my contract? The receipt allows you the normal 14 return window on the phone...

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

I agree that at first glance/feel the 3G iPhone feels "cheap" compared to the first generation. I can definitely see the difference, but in reality I think it is mostly the knee jerk reaction to going from a nice metal case to a black plastic case.

Plastic is soooo 2007. :cool:

I've decided to give my 3G iPhone some additional time before I decide what to do with it. The first iPhone's battery life seems much better, but the signal improvements on the 3G iPhone have helped with reception.

I suppose I'll keep the 3G iPhone. What self respecting Apple geek can be seen around his mates with out of date kit? :D

3. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

From what I am hearing the 1st Gen makes the most sense at the moment but I believe it has alot to do with the servers being overwhelmed by first day adopters. I would give it some time at least.

On a side note, what if I purchase a 1st Gen from Ebay or Craigslist....can I activate it without a contract since I own the phone? Other phones are like this, didn't know if it was different with the iphone.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Couldn't disagree more - I think the 3G feels better in the hand and at least as solid and well made as the 1st Gen with the curved back being much mor comfortable. Personally, I never liked the aluminium / plastic two tone back and much prefer the more integrated look of the 3G.

Also, the screen is better, the speaker's better the microphone's better, signal strenght is better and the 3G's ability to avoid sending calls to voicemail if an internet connection is active is a godsend.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

x2

And for the record, the 3G feels much better in my hand than the 2G. :)

7. meagain macrumors 68030

NO I prefer the 3g to the 2g by far all the way around.

Anyone want to bet money Phils doesn't revert back?

8. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

No way! I love my new iPhone! It feels better in my hand and much less slick when trying to type. I agree that the software has some lags, but it sounds like Gen 1 is having those problems, too.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

By "Build Quality" you mean "Metal content in casing", eh? Because the build quality of the 3G seems great to me, nice and solid, not cheap feeling at all. And I seem to get better reception with the 3G, the battery is quite a bit better than the 1st gen if you disable 3G, the new one has better speakers and of course GPS. The only way anybody could consider the new phone worse than the old is its lack of metal back. Which of course we knew about long enough for anyone who really didn't like it to not even buy the new phone in the first place.

10. macaco74 macrumors regular

the lagging contacts irritates me. When I click on the contacts in both my iphone 3G and ipod touch (with 2.0) it takes a good 5-10 seconds before I am able to scroll. It just hangs. I never had this problem prior to 2.0.

11. mrwilmoth macrumors member

go into itunes and restore your 3g. it will download the current firmware. for some reason the one that shipped with it has a lag. doing this, removes the lag and everythings a-ok.

12. slicecom macrumors 68020

That's a 2.0 problem, not a 3G problem, therefore there's no point reverting back. Wait for a fix.

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Do you use MobileMe or ActiveSync? I noticed the slowdown when I enabled MobileMe and Exchange push of contacts

14. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

hey?

What #4 said! Are you nuts? I'm going to give up all these pluses not to mention apps now and apps future plus the additional 8GBs?

Shoot, I have 6 gigs of music on the 3G and most of it is uncompressed. The audio has deeper blacks and sounds great with the in ear headphones I'm using.

And remember man, crack is whack. :p

15. ne0star macrumors regular

I'm keeping my 2g. I had intended on upgrading though. I don't care what anyone says, I have been into 6 different 02/cpw stores in my area and I have yet to see a 3G with a screen that matches the quality of my original iPhone.

Each to their own though, everyone has different tastes / opinions.

16. stevepeck macrumors member

Yes gone back to my 1stgen

Yes gone back to my 1stgen, miss it to much sorry G3 is just not for me.
    Recon l'll get £150 for my G3 so made £50 profit (very Happy).
    Plastic slow rubbish, to asbeen for me and dont need g3 bit

17. MMR macrumors member

Well that's not totally true, there is a lag in the contacts even with the new firmware, but its not to bad and will get fixed soon.

18. MMR macrumors member

I prefer the 3G to the first phone any day of the week, it doesn't feel cheap at all IMO, if feels lovely in the hand, I love it to bits, and don't worry everyone the kinks will get ironed out over the next month, just relax and take a step back for a week or two, then see how you feel, I personally am blown away by what this phone can do already, and its only the start, and IMO it’s the best looking phone I have ever seen or held, its special.

19. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

For me the new iPhone is near perfect. If anyone remembers the first iPhone had software issues too when it came out. They will be fixed in future updates. Just got to give these things time.

20. aridon macrumors member

3g, gps, better signal and call quality are more than enough reason for me to upgrade. The 3g certainly doesn't feel cheap to me. In fact I prefer the feel of the 3g phone over the original and I'm glad I bought the white since it doesn't show prints or scratches as easily.

21. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

It's not crapper, if it didn't have plastic, how will 3G work? It won't work with the old gen cus it would have blocked the 3G signals.

22. macaco74 macrumors regular

I do use mobile me but am experiencing this on my ipod touch as well, which does not have mobile me enabled.

As for the firmware version.

My iphone has (5A345) but my ipod touch has (5A347) - so there should be no lagging on my ipod touch but there is.

I hope Apple addresses this soon.

Between this issue, my apple tv always dropping from my device list on itunes (despite repeated reboots, power downs, and re-establishing the relationship) and my macbook pro constantly freezing requiring a hard reboot...not been terribly happy these days.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Oh yeah, I want to go back to slower Internet and no GPS in a heavier phone. They'll get the UI lag sorted via firmware in no time.

24. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

After all it is :apple:

25. mark34 macrumors 6502a

HA! you have got to be kidding? I find the new one to be aesthetically nicer and feels even better still. That is personal preference, but build quality, I just don't see that there has been a decline at all? The new one just feels like a slightly more fine tuned and sophisticated second generation product. The design is more fluid.

Edge, from my experience, is too painful to bother unless in a crunch. 3G is like butter.

Why would you go back to an Edge only device?? yikes. I believe Apple has done an amazing job following up on such a ground breaking device with this evolutionary version 2.