Bottom of 13" MBP Creaking/Popping Sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugue, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I did a quick search but I found no such problem. The problems I found had the creaking on the front, near and around the touchpad, which I do not.

On the bottom left hand side of my Macbook Pro, there is a creaking/popping sound as if the aluminum is extremely thin and bendable. When I push the part I hear a hollow pop and I feel the aluminum indents a tiny bit. The sound is driving is crazy. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my MBP?

2. deeesea macrumors 6502

my 15 inch creaked and cracked a lot too, a screw kept popping out as well, I even brought it in to the shop and have them replace all the screws on the bottom, turns out I just needed to re-seat the SSD on the second SATA connection and it stopped doing that. Perhaps you could just re-seat everything and maybe the popping will go away.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have a 13" MBP and have experienced no creaking. It sounds abnormal (get it? sounds...), and antithetical to the whole design philosophy (unibody to get rid of flexing and creaking). I would definitely take it in.

4. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

this happened to me when i took the bottom cover off to do a hardware upgrade. You might want to check the bottom cover to make sure all the screws are tight.

5. sketdansu macrumors member

heat perhaps?

i think this happens when it gets hot, the aluminum expands causing some creaking and popping

6. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try to take post a video later today to show the hallow popping sound.

I bought it from Microcenter. Can I still go to the Apple store and have them fix it with the 1 year manufacturers warranty?

7. Fiesta macrumors newbie

Fiesta

The plastic bit at the back near the vent creaks on my 13" MBP. Not sure what's going on but not really fussed to be honest. Yours sounds worse though

8. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

9. nickcao macrumors member

i think its normal, i changed 3 machines, everyone got same problem at same position you shown.

10. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Clearly this is a very serious issue and Apple should be subjected to a class auction lawsuit for making dodgy products.

Right.....

11. nickcao macrumors member

i rather they fix the stupid sata III problem 1st.

12. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

13. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Sounds like most of the sound is coming from where the disk drive is held, if your notebook has not been giving you any hiccups you should be fine.

14. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I'm just guessing, but I believe there is a plastic piece that clicks in when you replace the bottom of the MBP. I know this was the case especially with my 15" MBP. Sounds like maybe the place piece is broken so it doesn't secure itself.

15. nickcao macrumors member

man its from the other side :S

16. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I have this exact same issue

I thought I was the only one with this issue. The funny thing is it only started maybe a year after ownership and certainly didn't coincide with anything I did (like opening up the machine or dropping it etc)

All I can say is that after being a bit worried at first I have used my computer everyday non-stop bringing it back and forth to work and I have never seen the problem get any worse or impact performance in anyway. Sorry if the sound bothers you but at least you can rest easy that you computer is functionally ok (i think)

I just ordered a 4gb stick of ram from newegg. When it comes in I will be curious to see what is making the popping noise when I open up my computer. If it turns out to be anything significant (or an easy fix) I will let you know.

17. Fugue thread starter macrumors 6502

I plan to get 8GB RAM and an SSD right after lion comes out. When that happens I will open up the cover and see if that fixes things. If not, I will visit an Apple store.

18. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

Just received my MBP 17 and I have a crackling sound where you are pushing. Sounds horrible but seems common obviously. I will be installing ssd and ram today or tomorrow to see if it helps or if there is a problem.