Bottom plate not flush with unibody vents on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BANANACANADA, Sep 16, 2012.

1. BANANACANADA macrumors member

I just got my new rMBP a few days ago in the mail and everything is perfect. I was one of the lucky ones to get a Samsung screen with no visible retention so far (besides a black screen on start up, I think the issue is the graphics switching). The only problem I have is that the bottom plate is not perfectly flushed around the vents like the rest of the plate is with the unibody. There's barely any creaking but I paid nearly 3 grand for this computer so I expect no mistakes; I know I sound like Hitler or something, but really.

I really don't want to have to replace the entire computer because of the bottom plate not being flush with the vents (only like a millimeter out on both sides, especially the thunderbolt port side). Can they fix this issue just by reseating the bottom plate via unscrewing/retightening the screws? Or if it's not to spec, can't I just get a new bottom plate instead of replacing the machine? I was lucky enough to get a Sammy and I don't want to loose it — I just want a perfect machine. :(

?

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Can you take a pic so we can see what you're talking about and how severe it is?

3. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

unflush.jpeg

You can see in the corners that it's flush and in the middle it's not. I know it's not that severe; I just never experienced this from an Apple product. Kind of disappointed.

4. imperialnavy macrumors regular

Personally, i would ask them if they can fix it right away. If they have to get you another machine, i hope that you can at least keep this one for the time being ;) Those transfer times from China are really annoying to be honest...

5. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

Could the screws not be tightened enough or something? I really hope the screws are not too long. That would be a kick in the nads.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you are disappointed or feel like it should not be like that (and it shouldn't) then take it in and see what they have to say about it. It could just be a simple fix.

7. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

That's true. I'll try to go in tomorrow.

8. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

Am I being to anal about this though? Would most other people react to this like I am, or would they just not care?

9. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

No this machine costs way too much money to look like that. Take it into an apple store.

I would do the same thing. My bottom plate is loose and I plan on taking it in.

10. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not really, it's kind of unacceptable considering (in my opinion) that one of the main reasons to purchase a Mac laptop is because of its build quality. The picture you posted is clearly not intended in its design.

12. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I had a similar issue. I took it to the AS and had them tighten the screws. One side was OK after the tightening while the other didn't improve. I read a post here where someone installed a screw set for a MBA which has a shorter shoulder on the screws. I went ahead and found a set on ebay and installed them. Now my bottom plate is nice and tight.

So basically, what I found is the original screws bottom out when fully tightened. The shoulder of the screw or the plate thickness is not correct so the panel floats a little between the bottom of the machine and the screw head. The MBA screws have a shorter shoulder so when they are tightened they hold the bottom plate firmly against the bottom of the machine.

The picture below is obviously not one of the screws that hold the bottom plate, but it's easier for you to see. The shoulder that I am referring to is the area between the bottom of the head and the threads. The shoulder length on my original screws was greater than the MBA screws.

[​IMG]

13. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

Would something like this work? I would hate to void the warranty.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Bottom-C...ultDomain_0&hash=item43b05d0a8a#ht_1846wt_859

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I think you have a legit enough reason to take it to the Apple store and have them take a look at it. My iPhone home button was making a crunchy sound not too long ago and they replaced it on the basis, "We want your Apple product to work the way you want it to".

15. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Funny, that is the exact seller I bought mine from. You'll need a pentalobe screw driver as well. Before you buy anything I would recommend that you take it to an AS and have them try tightening first. The screws are very easy to cross thread if you're not very careful.

16. zjazz macrumors 6502

noticed similar thing on my brand new rmbp. that's where the creaking sound is coming from!

17. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to hear bro!

----------

Do you think that if the screws are too long I can bring in the MBA screws I buy off ebay into the AS and have them replace them without having to void my warranty if I do it??

18. BANANACANADA thread starter macrumors member

Well I brought in my rmbp into the AS and they tried reseating it, it's a bit better still not entirely flush around the vents though. The genius who worked on mine stripped a bit of the screw too, pretty pointless for going.

I guess I will just have to buy some MBA screws off the net and a driver when I can to fix this. I am not going through a replacement.

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That's unfortunate.

If you don't want to go through a replacement then I guess you just have to deal with it. I wouldn't really try to fix it yourself if it's purely cosmetic.