Bought 2 iphone5s at Apple store, lost Verizon service afterwards

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bidoof01, Oct 31, 2012.

1. bidoof01, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

bidoof01 macrumors newbie

I bought the 2 iphone5 for friends who have Tmobile network. Note sure what happened, but after buying the iphones5 at the apple store, I lost my Verizon service. My guess is that Apple employee activated it somehow without opening it by scanning the IMEI.

I had to go to a Verizon clerk so he gave me a new sim and reactivated on my original phone which is the GNexus. My data plan was also downgraded to 2GB even though I had 4GB before. I called Verizon support and she said the iphone is waiting to be activated and it won't work with Tmobile.

I'm not sure how this all works. Will my friends be able to use the their iphone5 with Tmobile? What should be my next plan of course?

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

did you buy off contract?
    lol if you used your phone number or upgrade.. they changed your phone line to the new phones ESN. just loging to myverizon.. click the swap phone.. enter your current phones IMEI..// SIM # if it is a LTE phone

3. bidoof01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume it was off contract since I got it at full price. I tried to switch phone in My Verizon but the option is grayed out and it says PENDING ORDER. The other option is to ADD A NEW LINE.

4. imazu macrumors regular

Only because the new phone has not been powered on for full activation. MyVerizon has to sync the phone and probably few minutes after you can do switch device.

5. bidoof01 thread starter macrumors newbie

What are your suggestions? Do I power on the iphone5 and insert my sim? I was hoping I didnt have to do that since I wanted to give it to my friend without turning it on myself.

6. imazu macrumors regular

The sim that is on the iPhone5 is pre-activated to whatever # you use to buy it when you picked u the phone. So technically it is attached to that # and Verizon system shows that you ordered a new iPhone5 and already receive it and you'll need to activate it to remove the pending order on that # meaning you can't make any changes on the account until the iPhone 5 is activated. I am not sure if there is a way to not activate it all with all the system changes that's happening right now between Apple and Verizon accounts.
    Maybe somebody else can make a clear option. My experienced is just based on switching devices that works for me on the Verizon account.

7. google macrumors regular

Thats new policy by VZ/Apple as of yesterday. Any ff contract phone must be tied to a VZ acct and once its powered on it activates on that line.

8. bidoof01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand now. I had to activate the iphone5 first. Once I do so I plan to switch my line back to my GNexus and let my friends use the iphone5 with Tmobile. That would work right?

9. google macrumors regular

Don't even activate it, just go on your account and make sure your GNex is on there and give them the iphone.

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

If you bought it today, you have to wait 24hrs to swap the phones off the line or by going in to a corporate store.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

so what the hell is the point of buying it off contract lol

12. bidoof01 thread starter macrumors newbie

As of now, once you buy the iphone at the apple store, you lose your service on your current phone unless you activate it on the iphone5 first. Right now I cant switch back to the GNexus because it's stuck on PENDING ORDER. Didn't know Verizon would make this so complicated. I called Verizon and they said it might take 24 hours to activate.

13. google macrumors regular

They are trying to thwart off folks who are buying it for reselling reasons since it is GSM unlocked. Dumb move

14. bidoof01 thread starter macrumors newbie

After heading to a Verizon store, I was able to get it activated in 5 minutes. Verizon phone operators really have no idea what they're doing.

15. sahnjuro macrumors member

Yes, people who work for Verizon are pretty useless. Verizon keeps it that way. May be their network is good, but the company itself is pretty underwhelming in terms of its vision and such.