Bought 4GB of Ram to Upgrade White Mac But Doesn't Work - Help is Truly Appreciated.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, May 17, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hey so i purchased 4GB of RAM earlier today at Fry's Electronic's Anniversary Sale.

I purchased the Patriot Memory 4GB (2x2GB Module Kit) of RAM
    (PSD24G667SK = If it matters) to upgrade from my 1GB that came with my Macbook when I purchased it in December 2006.

I'm aware of the "Crucial" program that checks how much RAM your Macbook version is capable of, and it states only 2GB, though many threads and posts not only in MacRumors state that it can actually handle 3.3GB total. Which is why I purchased the 4GB.

-

I read up on how to replace and install the RAM, though could've easily just seen that little sticker explaining how underneath the battery. I took the both 512MB sticks and stuck in the 2GB's in each slot. Nothing happened. When I tried to turn it on again the Mac's apple start up screen was messed up, even a few times a box came up asking to restart my computer. I kept trying, even switching from only one stick at a time but nothing.
    I then put back in both original sticks in and only one was recognized under iStat pro and "about this mac."

I tried the 4GB's again but nothing at all, either a messed up blue screen or a restart signal.

Then I just popped back in the original 1GB and it worked and is recognized....so figured I'd ask for help here before any messes up again if it does...

Any help on the matter is truly, highly appreciated.

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So I just retried again, only because I read up on some past threads here that a common mistake was not pushing in the sticks in deep enough. I tried again but still the 4GB's weren't recognized. The first time the screen looked all messed up and a weird loud sound started so I turned the mac off. Second time around the please restart box came up...

..I then added the original 1GB back to my mac and it easily started up...

3. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I had a look on everymac.com and at first thought you may just have a macbook that is too early to support 3GB ram, and you maybe didn't know that macbooks of different ages supported different amounts of ram. But then I remembered you said you got your mac in Dec 06, which means you should have the first macbook with core 2 duo, and if so then it should unofficially support 3GB ram.

So the likely reasons for it not working is you some how got a Core Duo macbook, which only supports 2GB, or more likely, the memory you bought is dodgy. Id say you should get the memory replaced to make sure it isnt bad (maybe get a refund and try a different brand), if it still dosnt work, get 2GB instead, after all, thats what it officially supports.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

That's Mac Memory you purchased, correct? Macs are VERY picky with their memory, and if it's not Mac approved, then it won't work well at all ..

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I believe your MacBook (C2D with GMA 950) will support a maximum of 3.0GB of RAM, though officially per Apple it only supports 2.0GB.

However, if I remember correctly, it will not boot if you have 2x2GB RAM in it; you'll need one 1GB module and one 2GB module.

8. okatidubi macrumors regular

Maybe you have faulty ram? Try exchanging the ram for a new pair.

I guess that is what usually causes the kernel panics (the box that asks you to restart).

9. JDee macrumors 6502a

The above is correct.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

....So def. 2x2GB sticks won't work on my Mac?

But I thought many people juiced up to 3.3GB using 2x2GB's....

EDIT: If it comes down to a 4GB kit (2x2GB's) not working on my Mac, should I go with just purchased 1 2GB stick and a 1GB stick? I thought this wasn't preferred since the sticks aren't exactly the same and read up on the forums last night that doesn't optimize the mac's performance. But figured i'd ask before I head out to the store in a bit.

ALSO: I should be purchasing only a DD2 PC5300 and not anything else right? Like, PC5400 or PC6400 won't work right?
    I plan on going Fry's today and replacing what I purchased with other 2x2GB kits and installing them there, if it works great. If not, then i'll go with a 2GB Mac.

Either way, I plan to have this situation handled within the next 2 hours.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They are not as picky as they used to be.

This is incorrect. My C2D MacBook boots just fine with 2X2GB.

Understanding Intel Mac RAM - Mac Guides

OP. Something is wrong with your RAM. Return it.

12. hndn macrumors regular

I had the same problem, try Crucial, works flawlessly. (Frys only carries corsair & patriot - neither work for me)

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Lies. You can use any RAM as long as it's appropriate for the computer.

14. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

UPDATE: I went to Fry's, returned the Patriot 4GB Kit and swapped it for a Corsair 4GB kit. I installed it and works!!!!

I'm so happy it works.

I went from one side of my itunes album artwork in cover flow all the way to the other end without it lagging at all.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Also, the original Patriot non-working RAM I bought was $50, though the Consair one cost the same at the store, it did come with a $20 rebate so, 4GB's for $30, not bad!

Thanks!

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Partiot RAM has been having a bad time on the newer Macs with nVidia chipsets. No problems on earlier Intel machines that I've encountered.

16. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

17. amabo macrumors member

Can anyone share with me a link to some cheap (<$60) 2x2GB DDR2 800mHz RAM for a new white macbook? I would really appreciate it, since I can't find any at Newegg or Fry's.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to say all of them.

I thought the White MacBook was still DDR2-667.

19. GAdawg macrumors member

20. amabo macrumors member

Nvidia White MacBook can handle and use DDR2-800, hence why I asked for it.

EDIT: Well, unless anyone can find me some DDR2-800 or tell me that the difference between the two isn't much if at all, I'm looking at these two options. Mushkin and Kingston. Anyone have experience with either in a white nvidia macbook?