Bought a “new” MBP off eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iModFrenzy, Apr 8, 2018.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

As the title says, I bought a new open-box MacBook Pro Mid-2015 Retina(manufactured in 2018)from a seller on eBay. It has AppleCare till 2021. I now have the device, and have registered it to my Apple ID which shows the date of purchase and the AppleCare.

But if I bring it to a Apple store will I need a receipt? Or is it being on my Apple ID enough?

I thought about EFI locking my MBP which made me wonder about how I’d handle unlocking it ,if I somehow forgot the password, without a proof of purchase.

Thanks!

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

All you need is a serial number showing an active warranty, which they will check when you take it in. They don’t make you bring your receipt or check Apple IDs for warranty work.

3. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Alright awesome

Side question: Does the MBP have warranty stickers on it? I found a odd one on my bottom panel near the hinge. It isn’t a barcode but two lines of numbers and says “Warranty Void if Removed”. I’ve never bought a new/AppleCare Mac before. Doesn’t seem like Apple to slap a sticker on hence my curiousity.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

How can a 2015 MBP be manufactured in 2018? It may be a refurb, but can't be newly manufactured.

5. dryja123 macrumors regular

Apple is still producing the 2015 version of the MacBook Pro.

6. jerryk macrumors 601

Just like Apple made the 2012 Classic 13" Macbook Pro until 2016. Corporate customer need this because it can take them a year (or more) to decide to support new model Macs.

7. Honza1 macrumors regular

Mine has no sticker, but it is 2017 model. It has two lines with information, including model and serial number, engraved in the bottom plate (as the other MBPs I have). I have never seen “Warranty Void if Removed” sticker on MBP.

8. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The sticker means it's been refurbished by a third-party.

9. csurfr macrumors 68000

This. Apple doesn’t put stickers on their machines. You’ve checked the warranty status at https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ and it shows until 202X?

Edit: I wonder if Apple will cover the machine if it has that decal on it clearly showing it has been refurbished by a 3rd party...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple's warranty is clear that any work done by an unauthorized agent will mean that component will not be covered. If any damage occurs during the authorized repair occurs that damage also won't be covered, i.e., breaking something off the logic board trying to remove it. The entire logic board will no longer be warrantied.

11. iModFrenzy thread starter macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

What points to it being refurbished? Is that type of sticker common on refurbs?

Yep, checked right when I received the machine. AppleCare till 2021.