Bought a 15" retina today - Extreme UI lag in Yosemite video examples

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lenkeyth, Nov 21, 2014.

1. lenkeyth, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

lenkeyth macrumors newbie

Today i bought a brand new:

Macbook Pro 15" Retina - 16 Gb, 2.2 Ghz, Iris Pro with Yosemite.

And what a lovely piece of hardware!

But i am quite surprised by the poor UI performance. I experience severe UI lag when resizing windows, and sometimes when scrolling or loading folders.

I want to make sure this is not a hardware error.

Check out the videos exhibits below:

A) Resizing window in chrome

B) Resizing window in Logic Pro X

C) Resizing window in Itunes Store

--

Thanks in advance

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

That problem also exists on the retina iMac! The Iris pro should be able to handle pretty well! If it's possible, go to an apple store and test to see if you get the same results. If not exchange the machine. However I'm sure it's due to the OS. Maybe apple will fix it later on!

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Browser responsiveness when resizing depends heavily on the content in the currently visible tab.

E.g. If you try to resize YouTube, or an "overdone" responsive site like the Verge, you'll notice it's slow. It's not a "graphics" thing per se, its that the browser has to re-render everything every time the browser window resizes if the CSS uses size-based media queries, or the onResize hook is bound to.

iTunes is just iTunes. It's always been a slow pile of crap.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Don't have that issue on my system at all running Iris Pro or the 750m

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

So the reason you bought a 15" rmbp for is to resize windows all day?

The UI lag on the retinas has been discussed at nauseaum here. The search tab is your friend ;)

6. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Spotify is causing you this. If you browse to activity monitor you will probably see that a process called "spotify helper (not responding)". You may find one or two of this process.

7. babbit macrumors member

Obviously resizing windows isn't the sole purpose of a laptop, but the lag is an indicator that something is wrong. Others (including myself) do not have the lag that's shown in the video, which is really extreme.

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

No lag yet on my 15 inch mid 2014 retina Iris Pro only

9. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Would be interested to know if this helped the OP

10. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

My 15" rMBP ran very smooth under both Mavericks or Yosemite. I tend to have my windows set to my perfect size and the only time I change them is to go full screen but I like some above me stated, browser UI lag is highly dependent on the content. Expanding a wikipedia page will be smooth, a Verge pages laggy. I Tunes has to render album are and graphics as well, very similar to the browser scenario.

If you adjust the size of other windows like the finder or Notes that don't have a lot of graphics you're fine. As for moving windows around and scrolling, I don't have any lag doing that.

11. lenkeyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't help. But actually found spotify helper to be "Not Responding".

I can live with the resize framerate stutter. Just seems a bit weird when other parts of the UI is blazing fast. Another slow one is when clicking menus in system preferences and the menu is resizes manually. A bit weird.

12. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Are you using a scaled resolution? I Think there wil always be some ui lag in places until the hardware catches up. There is a massive performance hit going to Retina and from what I've seen were not far off smoothness in all areas,