Bought a iPhone 4S on eBay :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jasper84, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Jasper84 macrumors regular

Seller described the iPhone 4S as perfect mint condition. I received it a few days ago the back is scratched up the metal band on the sides and top have these shiny rub marks the front screen has a long scratch and they tried to hide all this with a cheap screen protector on the front and back. long story short they refused to accept a return. I filed a claim eBay said the seller sold it as used so they closed the claim in favor of the seller. here's the fun part since the seller described the item as perfect mint condition which it wasn't I won the appeal but since eBay already closed the case the seller isn't required to refund my money eBay claims they'll refund me if I send the item back to the seller who will not only be keeping my money but he'll also have the iPhone 4S WTF I asked eBay to send me a e mail for my records stating they'll refund my money and they won't how is any of this possible I really don't know what to do from here? how can I move forward and protect myself from being ripped off any further ? I have some time to think about this a day or so if anyone has tips suggestions I'd really like to hear from you guys before I go further :(

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Never ever ever buy used electronics on eBay if you want recourse. They favour the seller not the buyer.

There's an abundance of 4S phones on kijiji and Craigslist that you can inspect before purchase. If the deal on eBay is too good to be true, it always is.

Personally I would always buy Apple electronics from Apple unless it was a sealed box.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

That's a whole bunch of help there for the OP

4. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

An unfortunate experience with eBay. Condition other than New, Used, Refurbished is very subjective. If the seller marked it as Used, you have to rely on high quality pictures and/or feedback history. Every smartphone I've sold on eBay is always in excellent condition free from defects and accidental damage. Normal wear is unavoidable, but I also evaluate that before selling. I use trade in places for items that don't meet my threshold. Not all eBay sellers are bad.

Also, in the recent times eBay is greatly favoring the buyers. So much so I place the highest restrictions on bidders to avoid buyer scams. Last year I had one buyer purchase my entire lot of Apple products and afterwards he attempted to shake me down for refunds to lower the price of the Buy It Now. I had saved all communications and taken many photos of the items so it didn't work.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U want help, here it is.

Case shut and closed. Is exactly what eBay says, if it says USED, ur taking your chances. If users says u can return within 7 days let say if unhappy, u got something else, finito.

Cheer up, if u bought it brand new from Apple, it's $600 after tax, so u paid a lot less, count your blessings.

Pssshhh... casing EASY (relatively) to fix. Checkout ifixit.com if it bothers u so much.

6. richmds macrumors regular

Ebay is a flea market, its very much buyer beware.
    If ebay is willing to give you your money back why do you care whether the seller gets to keep the money or not, thats between ebay and the seller.
    You will get what you paid and be done with an item you are not happy with.

7. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

did you pay with a credit card? if so then just dispute the charge and have them issue a chargeback

8. McPhallus macrumors regular

In the future, make sure the seller has very good pictures, and scrutinize them in great detail before bidding. Ask them for additional pictures if you have any concerns, and if they won't provide additional photos, walk away. With the number of Apple products on eBay, there's no reason not to be extremely picky who you buy from.

9. darkside flow macrumors 6502

The OP knew his/her situation before they got here. There really is no more help anyone except ebay can provide except to advise on future situations.

10. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked for something in writing from eBay a e mail stating if I return the phone to the seller that ebay would refund my money this is for my records and some protection. I don't feel comfortable relying on a statement from a eBay rep named Caleb over a phone nothing documented in my hands to show as proof of terms of a refund issued by eBay. I care if the seller profits from all the crap I'm navigating through just to get a refund lies shouldn't be rewarded

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Lesson learned, next time buy in person. As far as your eBay refund. You did save a copy of them telling you they will refund you provided you send the 4S back to the seller. It's all you need. Or was that a call you made to eBay? Send the seller the empty box with some rocks. Teach him a lesson and plead with eBay you sent the phone and he was scamming you. I only say this, because he swindled you into thinking and misrepresented the "supposedly" mint condition of that 4S - now gets your money and 4S back to profit from somebody else. And the cycle continues.......

12. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

I had the funds in my Paypal account I didn't use a credit card so it's a dead end on the charge back front but thanks for offering your advice I appreciate it

----------

That's funny a nice thought lol but I really think I'll find a better way to handle it this was all discussed by phone I have nothing in black and white saying eBay will refund me after sending the item back to the seller

13. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Do you have something in writing from ebay that states you WON your appeal? What does it say your next move should be - that all should be in writing - they don't award you a decision without some sort of supporting documentation - if they are willing to cover the cost and the seller gets his phone back and your money - BUT you get your money back - move on - the guy is renting space in your head for free - quit wasting your time.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

eBay has buyer protection. It'll let you know if the item in the auction/Buy Now qualifies for protection. On an item like this it pays to see if you qualify. If you do, you have recourse through eBay.

I'm guessing this auction didn't qualify for buyer protection.

You might try issuing a dispute with Paypal. You can make a claim. Paypal is owned by eBay, but being a different outfit you may get somewhere.

15. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

I just received a message via the my ebay accounts inbox only saying to ship the item back to the seller insured with tracking etc and that I'd hear from ebay on the 27th after I read this I decided to call eBay for some clarification on my appeal status this is where the rep tells me to send the item back and ebay will refund me but he refused to send me anything stating the terms of a refund

16. itjw macrumors 65816

Be happy you have that much.

Condition is subjective. If there were photos and the item you recieved was different fine, but if they were just hard to see or blurry that is NOT enough. If it was described as anything but NEW, it is your job to evaluate the information, seller feedback, return policy, and pictures. Even after that, you can choose a payment method to protect yourself further if you have concerns. Sadly, that sounds like it wasn't done beyond seeing "Mint" in the listing.

If he sent you something diferent than the picture (without saying the item was not the actual one pictured), sue him for fraud. Otherwise, you just learned an expensive lesson in people's opinions of condition.

This thread makes me think of all the "scuffgate" folks who think their 4S's were flawless after a year of use. Put it in someone elses hands, and all of the flaws become really easy to see...

17. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

You are fine - you will get paid - let go of the resentment. You are good person and everyone likes you.

Repeat the above until you believe it. Or have a double scotch.

18. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

That's the problem the pictures in the sellers auction look like he just used some other sellers pictures because the marks scuffs and scratches are not present in the pictures the guys feedback is 100% about 300+ feedbacks wasn't expecting this type of outcome considering the above mentioned

----------

I'm out of scotch I'll have to make do with some vodka and pomegranate juice I'm good enough I'm strong enough and gosh darn it ppl like me lol clearly I'll live but this all really is ridiculous I'm just going to send it back to the seller insured with tracking and call it a day but the seller is a massive tool

19. mactmaster macrumors 6502

eBay is safe to buy from but make sure you look at the sellers ratings. I would suggest buying only if the listing has nice high quality photos so you can see the condition of the device.

I sell my old iPhones on eBay and have never had any issues with buyers asking for refunds or returns. That's because I'm honest in the description and the condition of the device. Always list them as used and include high resolution photos.

As far as this case, lesson learned; be a smarter buyer next time.

20. richmds macrumors regular

If it was verbal forget it, dont send it back. Although that unfortunately means you are stuck with the item.
    As long as it is functioning I would say just use it, lesson learned.

21. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I'm glad you remembered Stewart Smalley!

Yeah the guy is a tool - but every minute you are pissed at him is a minute more that he has taken from you.

22. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

LoL I'm gonna use this myself

23. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha yeah I miss the old SNL it was actually funny! I'm over it now a lot of ppl here have offered some good advice including yourself so I have some options thanks for the imput

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Don't worry about that. Get your money back and move on.

25. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Wow I'm surprised by that. I always thought buyers had the advantage with ebays resolution center.