Bought a MBA a few days ago, want to return for new MBP, but lost receipt... HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MoodyMedStudent, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

Alright so basically I bought a MBA on Feb 14th and just found out Apple is going to release a new line of MBPs. I bought my MBA from BestBuy, and took the box home but left the receipt in a bag in a trunk. I was out earlier and when I opened the trunk there was a STRONG gust of wind which blew it right out (I have a VW Golf hatchback) and I tried to chase it down but it hopelessly blew away.

So yea, as ridiculous as it sounds, that's basically how I lost the receipt... I was wondering if there's a chance they'd accept the return without it. I paid with my credit card, and my statement shows my purchase on Feb 14th at the BestBuy store number and the city. Can they look up my receipt with my credit card?

I am really worried about this, and was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what the best approach to get a refund would be. Thanks.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

They can find you in the system. I have dome that before.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You can always tell them that your dog ate it.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They usually send an invoice or receipt to your e-mail if you provided them at time of purchase.

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Receipts are a lingering relic of the old days when people paid only with cash. With everything electronic nowadays, unless you paid with cash or both your email server and their record system crashes, they'll have record of your purchase, and will likely take the product back (assuming you're in the return window).

6. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

Yea I got it 4 days ago. Going to go to the store tomorrow. Hope they'll give me a refund without the original paper...

7. aevelasquez macrumors regular

let us know how it goes! I applied for a job at best buy, and if i get it, i'll probably get my macbook pro there, so i can get the employee discount, student discount, and tax-free discount.

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

You should be fine as you paid by card.
    They can usually track you on their system without the receipt.

9. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

So even after talking to the manager I could not get a refund without the "original" receipt, even though they pulled up my file which had the same invoice with all the same information as the original printed receipt. The best I could do is get a gift card back for like $1,500.

So the lesson is, if you want any hope of getting money back for your purchase from BestBuy, be very careful with the original receipt.

10. CopperX macrumors member

According to a friend that worked at Best Buy, the employee discount does not apply to Apple and some other products.

11. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Silly med students! Tricks are for kids. :p I'm so glad I don't have to do that again.

But I did expect this, alot of the box stores will give you store credit when you don't have the original reciept. Stupid policy.

12. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

The ridiculous thing was that while she was processing my return an instruction came up on the debit machine to "please swipe your card now," which clearly indicates that they were indeed capable of processing a refund. I asked her about it and she just told me not to do anything and I just chuckled.

I understand that some electronics like Apple computers can have a narrow profit margin, but I mean they rip off enough people selling those Monster Cables...

Hmm... maybe I can sell the gift card to someone for $20 cheaper or something...

13. Camps23 macrumors member

Weren't you just looking to get the new mbp anyway ? Cant you just use the gift card towards the new purchase at best buy ?

14. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

Yea that's right but it may not come in the configuration that I want (like how the MBA only came in 2 GB of ram in retail stores). After using the SSD in the MBA I really want to upgrade it if it doesn't come standard.

EDIT: woot I'm a thread starter now!

15. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Wow screw bestbuy. I'll never buy from them if they have stupid rules like that.

16. 184550 Guest

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Might as well sign up for their free Reward Zone program and get $30 (or more) in RZ certificates (assuming the MBP costs $1500 or more).

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, you may not be able to get any RZ back given it's now in gift card form.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Not true - you'll get the RZ point as you spend the money. You can also use the gift card to pay on a BB credit card; so you can get any additional offers that credit card has when you buy.

18. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You don't get RZ points for purchases made with a gift card. You get dollar-for-dollar when you buy a card, but not when you purchase something with one.

19. 184550 Guest

If he's redeeming that gift card for the MBP purchase, he would not earn points.

Source.