Bought a MBP 13" but now I wish I bought the 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OceanView, Sep 12, 2009.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

I spend almost 2 months thinking about which MBP to get, the 13" or the 17".
    Went to the Apple store many times trying both out and at the end I picked the 13" because of it's small size and new lower price.
    But now that I've been using it a few months, I think I made the wrong decision :(
    I wished I had chosen the 17". The larger screen is what I need over the portability of the 13"
    What can I do now? Sell my 13" at a loss and get the 17" or just wait....
    I hate selling on e-bay cause there just seems to be too many fraudulent buyers.
    Also what is this 2 month old MBP worth?

2. Ben Dixon macrumors member

If its just the screen size you need, why not buy a second display? that way you dont need to go through the trouble of selling it and get the size screen you need.

3. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

That was the original thought that I had when I bought the 13"
    But I realize that I need the larger screen when I am out moving from place to place.

4. p3ncil macrumors regular

Hook it up to an external monitor?
    If you really need extra desktop space, try using Spaces?

Hope this helps.

5. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

you could try to sell it on craigs list. ebay is not a bad way to sell. the fraud is more so on the selling side than the buying. if you only accept paypal, and only ship domestically you would be fine, however. you would take a bigger hit due to fees.

as far as worth. you did not specify which one you had but, right now in the refurb store you can buy the low end 2.26 for $999 and the high end 2.53 for $1299. I would say that would be the MOST you would get, but if i was the one buying, i would also take into consideration there is 3 months of the applecare gone where the refurb would give me a full 1 year.

i would guess around $899 & $1199 respectively for starting prices.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Using Spaces helps alot with Screen Real Estate. Moving applications around and having easy access makes screen size not that relevant anymore.

Unless you need the screen space because you are working on a big picture I'd understand.

7. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

So, which is to be, screen size or portability? :confused:

8. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

If I was the one buying I'd also take into consideration that the unit hasn't been checked by Apple technicians. Take off at least another $100.

9. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yes, spaces is a good idea. You'll soon wonder how you managed without it;).

10. Mhmm macrumors member

Yeah, I think Apple has a big problem in this area. I mean, they have the portability of the 13" and the great screen of the 17", but they should really invest in some kind of technology that allows them to build a computer that has both a great screen size and is portable enough. I mean, there has to be something in between 13" and 17" that would satisfy your needs, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

11. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

:D

12. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Made me laugh.

But seriously, you said you want to move it from place to place. A 17" will make that pretty tough, it's a big machine. I recommend you look into this mystical middle point the above poster has mentioned, if such a miracle exists at all that is.

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You get both with the 17". Unless you severely anemic and need a 13" b/c you cant handle a tad more weight.

14. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Your right but on ebay people dont usually pay attention to the refurb store. Even if the do refurbished means there was something wrong with it at some point. I dont think I personally would ever buy a refurbished product from any company unless the discount was 50% or more.

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

:D. Love my mystical machine. It's got a bigger screen (what I was looking for) and nice portability (not clunky at all).

16. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Yeah, what he said :D

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the bigger screen is what you need, and you can afford it sell your 13" and buy a 17". Don't get worked up about it. We all make these decisions all the time.

18. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yea, it's only about 50% heavier...

19. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

not completely correct. there could have been something wrong, if so they fix it before resale. Also, people that buy a machine like the OP, but decide they want a different size within the 14 return period,they exchange it. Apple can no longer sell it as new so it goes to the refurb store. again only after being checked & certified.

or how about all the units that the OCD mac guys get. ( i say that lovingly as i am an OCD mac guy as well) they exchange it because a few keys were slanted, or the LED's for the battery check are not as bright as they think they should be. all those go to the refurb store.

if you have ever bought or considered a used item, then there is no need to fear a refurb. in many cases i would rather a refurb. a used item from some guy on ebay, WHO KNOWS what the heck has happened to it before you buy it. with an apple refurb you have the same unknown, however you have the original MFG inspecting and fixing things before selling it to you. Plus you get one full year of apple care.

many people on here have bought refurbs and have been completely happy, and some have problems. BUT, the same goes for brand new units. some people have perfect machines for years while others have nightmares from all the problems.

I personally think the people saying refurbs are bad because obviously something was wrong is a weak argument.

20. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Portability was more important but I didn't realize the screen is not as usuable as I had thought.
    I have an older 15" MBP which I didn't use for a while and used it again recently and it made me realize even the 15 would have been a better choice.

21. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

i was going to say. if the 13" is too small the 17" seems like a big jump to me.

I love my 15"

22. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I feel the MBA is the perfect traveler for me, so I own a new MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU and 128 GB SSD. Now, at home it's not perfect, so I connect it to a 24" LED-backlit Apple Cinema Display. They can be bought for $599 refurbished which looks like new. It is the PERFECT compliment to any Mac notebook. It will work for many years and probably through multiple Mac notebooks you own.

I think you should truly consider that option. At the same time, I agree if you want larger all the time and want it at the couch or away from a desk, get the 17" MBP because it's not that much more to carry around. The 17" is a problem in an airline seat, but honestly so is a 15" in my opinion.

I have had excellent luck selling locally via Craig's List. Deal CASH ONLY! Accept no scammers, don't ship, and make sure you meet in public place.

Good luck whatever you do.

23. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey Scottsdale,

I was thinking exactly like you except I decided on the MBP13 because it wasn't too much bigger to me.
    I was planning on just hooking it up to an external monitor but then I realize that I need to be more portable so I am rethinking my decision.

I may sell or just keep it and deal with it.

24. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Scottsdale brings up a valid option. If you sell your 13", take a hit, then spend more for the 17" you could probably just get the external display for the same price...probably cheaper.

I think you might want to consider taking your 13" into the Apple store, if you have one close by, and ask them to see the 24" LED hooked up to it. They look pretty good. Plus, you could use it as a dual monitor setup then. See if that influences your decision any.

25. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I think OceanView is saying his problem is when using his laptop on battery power or outside the home or office and has only the laptop screen to use; like when he is in a hotel room, a coffee shop, airport, etc. His 24" Apple Cinema display at home or his office isn't gonna mean much then.