Bought a "new" battery that already has a 336 cyclecount, did I just go scammed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcrum23, Aug 3, 2013.

1. mcrum23 macrumors member

Before I get myself a gun and commit a crime I want to ask you guys something :p

My Iphone 3Gs's battery was fried (+500 cycles) so I bought a new one from a shop, I installed it (pain in the *** btw). First thing I do then is to start BatteryInfolite app, and this is what I got:

50% battery charge
    CurrentCapacity: 612mAh
    Maxcapacity:1092mAH
    Cyclecount: 336

336 cyclescount?? That's already too much, did I just got shafted or there is some kind of rational explanation to this, like the battery was reconditioned so it'll work like a new battery although the cyclecount is high?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Nope - you got scammed. The cycle count can't be reset and the battery can't be reconditioned.

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Well if you believe your battery app, it sure like you got a used battery. Sometimes these places "confuse" new from old.

4. mcrum23 thread starter macrumors member

You sure about that? How can I know for sure?

brian:thanks

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Uh oh...OP, about the gun thing. Just take a few deep breaths, relax a bit and remember anyone can be scammed (well, almost anyone...OK, just a few people), and then, very calmly and quietly...get the gun and....:eek:

;):p

Sorry about the battery...it stinks!:(

(I'll get scolded by someone if I don't spell out, in clear and direct terms, that I'm only joking.)

6. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Are you jail broken? If so there another cydia app that can't detect cycles.

7. mcrum23 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, jailbroken, BatteryInfolite need a jailbroken phone anyway.

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Was the battery cheaper than a new one from apple or another authorised reseller?

Then you have your answer.

You buy cheap, you buy twice.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Are you sure the app is accurate? How does the phone do with a new battery? Does it seem better at all?