Bought a new MacBook Pro bc mine broke, but is it true the next one is coming out in a few weeks???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 14, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

My late 2013 rMBP won't click physically, but it does tap to click no problems.

None the less I bought a brand new MacBook Pro but now I'm seeing rumors that the new one is coming out real soon?

Should I just wait?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Your 2013 battery is probably bloated, preventing the trackpad from clicking. Same thing happened to mine. iFixit sells battery kits for $80-90 if you're up to the task and want to hold off upgrading. No one really knows when updates will be released, but the 2018 MBP is relatively reliable and under a year old if you want to stay with it.

3. Harry110 macrumors newbie

That's great advice. If you can salvage your old one, I would. I'm in a similar boat. My 2011 died on me. I'm holding off to see if anything new comes out at WWDC, but there are no guarantees. I'm not sure how much longer after that I can wait to buy something. And it seems like many forum posters do not recommend the latest Macbook Pros, which is adding to my frustration. I want to love my new computer and be excited about it (especially at Apple prices)... not constantly worry the keyboard is going to fail like it's a ticking time-bomb.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

How can I tell if my battery is bloated? Like should I check the number of cycles or something?

Honestly the battery life seems pretty decent still, but then again I use it plugged most of the time
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2019 ---
    Why do these computers die? Like is there something I can do to preserve mine?

I'm actually leaning towards just keeping mine now.

Just using it until I can't any longer.

It works perfectly fine (except for trackpad). It's fast enough, no slowdowns where I'm frustrated.

I use it for light stuff though. Nothing too intensive. Chrome, notes, calculator, pages, numbers, word documents, photo editing in the photos app (occasionally), calendar, preview, maps sometimes.

Thats basically it

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

If you want to check for battery swelling - you have to remove the bottom cover, and look at the battery.
    Swelling (particularly if it is affecting the operation of your MBPro) should be visible. Just take a look at the battery.
    If it is not particularly obvious to you, you can post a picture here to get some kind of consensus from the appearance of the battery. Remember that physical swelling of the battery is a fairly common result for age and use, and the swelling may not be affecting performance, or even battery life from day to day - yet. But, you can be assured that it will NOT get better -- it will only get worse, even to the point of distorting and bursting the case.
    You DO need to physically look at the battey.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Is it really that serious? So I should unscrew it tonight maybe and check?

I unscrewed it maybe a month or 2 ago to clean dust and no issues that I noticed.

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The battery sits directly underneath the trackpad area. If it is swelling, the first thing that you would often notice is that the trackpad either stops working, or is very hard to press (or is over sensitive).
    Yes, you should inspect that battery.
    2 months ago, you may have not been specifically looking at the size and shape of the battery, and probably no reason to do that at that time.
    Keep in mind - a swelling battery does not get better - it gets worse. It may take a long time (a year or more), or (what I experienced on my own about 3 years ago) literally pop out over an hour or two, from just barely visible, to damaging the case on my MBook.

8. jerryk macrumors 601

You should take a look. If there is a swelling you can see it, and even feel it when you push light lightly with your finger.

Another check is to see how many cycles you have the battery. 800 or 1000 is about all you can expect. But if it is swelling the battery is done and you need to replace it ASAP.

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you so much @DeltaMac and @jerryk

Before I open it, I plan on using time
    Machine to back up in two different external hard drives

My question is, if something goes wrong and my MacBook Pro breaks completely, will the time machine backup enable me to transfer everything to a new MacBook Pro including the different user accounts I have?

I have several user accounts on my current MacBook Pro.

I’ve never restored from time machine before and am unsure how it works and exactly what it does.

All I know is that one can back up their computer using time machine and I’m assuming it is a mirror of everything on your computer so if something happens you can transfer everything to a new Mac and it’ll be just like the old one.

10. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

There's no problem with backing up your drive, but removing the bottom cover would not effect anything, when you are just doing a visual inspection. You don't need to disconnect or move anything inside - just look carefully, maybe take a picture or two.
    But, to answer your question. you can restore from your time machine backup, although many here will also recommend Carbon Copy Cloner as a faster alternative (a large drive might take several hours for the restore.)

11. oldtime macrumors 6502

Absolutely 100% use CCC before opening up your device. It's the best ounce of prevention in case things go belly up and you need to restore to a new device.

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Update!

I opened it up and it doesnt seem warped at all, thank goodness. Seems very flat and normal. No bulge that I could see.

I guess maybe the trackpad just got old.

This is a late 2013 rMPB so I approximately 5 1/2 years old

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You also want to try making a new user account, then log out of your normal user, then log in to your new account that you just made for troubleshooting.
    Does your trackpad still not do normal clicks when logged in to that new user account?

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Well I have a physical click trackpad. Not the new ones with haptic. When it is off it won’t click nor when on :(

But maybe this is for the best. The new MacBook pros are seemingly out soon so maybe this timing is good. Maybe there will be some great MacBook coming out.