Bought a new MBP and bestbuy gave me a better one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blockburner28, Jun 27, 2009.

1. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

I went to bestbuy and bought the $1199 2.26 ghz, 2 gig 160 hd 13.3 Macbook pro. They gave me the $1499 2.53 ghz 4gig 250hd 13.3one instead. I didn't realized it until late that night when I got home and was doing the 10 dollar snow leapard upgrade. So is this stealing i'm so lost about what to do because I didn't know and if so would I be able to return it for the one I paid for? Thanks in advance guys

2. itunes2000 macrumors newbie

did you pay for the 1199 one or 1499 one?

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

It's only stealing if you knowingly left the store with the wrong machine, and even then I'd hardly call it stealing in the normal sense of the word. While some might question the ethics, you did nothing wrong here. Consider it a gift for all the money you lost in vending machines over the years. :p

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just keep it, unless you feel guilty send it back, maybe if you send it back you will get like a $100 gift for being honest. I don't really know, just a guess but do whatever you think is right. It was also their fault not yours.

6. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28

I paid for the 1199 one

In a way I feel kind of guilty but the supervisor who was over the geek squad dude who was ringing me up seem like I was trying to do something fishy. At first he didn't even want to give us the 100 dollar school discount he was like oh its always 50 dollars and I said sir me and your employee both verfied that is it 100 dollar discount on this laptop he said okay. Then after that I used my BESTBUY CREDIT CARD and then I used my bank card for the rest. He brought up another machine that they can copy the print of my bank card numbers. Then he told his employee to make sure I put my name address and phone number on it(My wife works in retail and said that he didn't have to do all that). Then on the same paper I signed on the computer I had to sign again in my handwriting so as yall can see he must have thought I was up to something, but he was the same one who went get the laptop for me and gave me the wrong one. So I guess that was Gods way of telling him he shouldn't do that to people.

7. SunDevil4Life macrumors newbie

I would just keep it, hey did you ask them about the free ipod touch promo??? since they gave you the student discount

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would keep it, it's there mistake so you shouldnt have to waste time going back and dealing with them. Enjoy your bonus!

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Screw them. If anything I would go back and try and get the iPod touch.

10. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Like a knucklebuster?

You would questioning your ethics would be if you go back and try and get the iPod Touch (if you already haven't tried). I mean, you got a great deal as it is.

I bought a 17" Toshiba during Black Friday about 2-3 years ago and they gave me a step up model that had a HD-DVD drive in it. I didn't notice it until after, too. I shouldn't have kept it, since the specs were slightly less, for the replacement of the HD-DVD drive.

11. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

12. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Was is a 2.53 in a 2.26 box or a 2.53 box?

Perhaps it wasn't their fault?

Either way, its yours now. Keep it with a free conscious.

13. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    why should you have to go back to the store because they made a mistake (in your favor :D). Keep it.

14. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

Won't you get warranty issues (as it's not the same machine as on the receipt)?

15. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

That's what I was thinking. Give it back, get the touch, sell the touch, buy HD/RAM by yourself. Same computer at the end of it all, same cost to you and your conscience is clear. Not to mention no warranty issues ...

eV

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you need to make it right on the receipt to make sure you don't have warranty issues... if you take the machine in to them with all your info already setup on it because of their "honest" mistake... they won't be able to sell it as a new machine and may let you keep it.

If they insist you owe them $$, return it but make sure you "0" out the HDD first when you reformat it so no one can access your data... don't pay any extra for the machine you didn't order in the first place.

17. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

+1 for the warranty issues. You have a MBP which does not match with the paid check.
    At least, you should register it to activate the warranty. Buy the AppleCare and activate that as well.
    Anyway I'd say keep it.

18. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28

It was in the 2.53 4gig 250hd box and the only reason I seen it was because I was doing the upgrade to the snow leapard and seen 4gigs and was like whoa they gave me the wrong one.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You don't necessarily need the receipt to get applecare. You register the machine and buy applecare, and they use the serial number to estimate the purchase date from when it was manufactured. I've had to copy and send a copy of my receipt one time, when I bought my system a week after apple thought i did.

Whether or not you decide to inform best buy about their mistake or take the machine back is up to you, and your sense of ethics and morals.

20. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28

I ask the supervisor while I was in the store and he said they didn't do the free ipod thing.

21. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

I say keep it, they never ask for a receipt when doing warranty work.

This is the part that interests me most. Where'd you get that?

22. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Apple would just let you keep it in most cases, or at least give you a voucher or a free iPod for your honesty, Best Buy, I have no idea. But yeah I'd attempt to contact them.

23. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I agree since it isn't out yet.

24. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I coudln't get Best Buy to give me the free touch either or a discount on a printer like Apple did. I was a bit upset, but didn't have much space to move as I needed to get my laptop from Best Buy with my account.

25. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Nice! I say keep it unless the Applecare is going to be an issue. Worst you could do is try to get Applecare then if it doesn't go through you could take it back and do a "Hey what's the deal?".