bought a PSP: can't add mp4 movie from MBP. Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by malch, Aug 25, 2010.

1. malch macrumors 6502

HI there,
    I just bought a PSP, not for games — I want to be able to play back short (fifteen seconds) movie files on an LED display.
    I used Episode to encode a big QT movie to mp4, supposedly for the PSP. But I must be missing a step or two.
    When I put this little mp4 onto the media card that fits into the side of the PSP, the PSP sees it, but says it can't play it.
    Is there a better app I can use to convert a QT file to exactly the flavour of mp4 (or whatever else) that the PSP would like?
    Or am I making some other mistake?
    thanks for any advice,
    malch

2. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

got the mp4 movie loaded (used a free piece of software called double-Twist, which seems nice), but now can't connect the component cable the salesman sold me. I think the cable is made for another model of PSP (the Go).

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IIRC there are 3 cables, each for different PSP models. I think the 2000 has composite, 3000 has component, Go has component but with a different connector.

I've never had that problem with videos but I guess my library is already encoded for these kinds of devices. I find it plays my iPods video files (no matter the format) perfectly.

4. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, Dagless. And yes I think you're right. They all take different types of cables. I wish the guy at Best Buy had known that.

malch

5. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Well, I would have recommended an iPod Touch, but, for mp4, I usually use VisualHub, though it's been discontinued. Handbrake is always good, and if you want to go specific for PSP, there's PSPWare by Nullriver:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/pspware