Bought a rMBP in Canada from Belgium and payed Canadian tax

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KFredje, Jul 10, 2013.

1. KFredje macrumors member

Hey,

I have family living in Canada and I bought a rMBP with my Belgian credit card. When I placed my order there was 0 $ tax. When everything got shipped there was a 362 $ tax on my 2888 $ order, about 13%. The delivery address is somewhere in Ontario and my family told me they also get charged 13% on all electronics.

Is there a way to retrieve this tax I payed? I don't think it's fair to say there is no tax when I fill in my credit card number and then when it's shipped they charge me 362 $ tax.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You may get a tax credit on your Belgium taxes but no I don't think there's any way to get that money returned.

You bought a computer in a country that has a sales tax. Its like if I went to Europe and bought something, I'd end up paying for the VAT

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

You actually can get the VAT refunded, so I would not be surprised if this was possible with Canadian sales taxes too.

4. Jodles macrumors regular

What laurihoefs said is correct. You typically have to talk to the shop that sold the item to you. You can do this with anything you buy when you're abroad. You'll pay that country's tax when you purchase the item, but they'll give you a special receipt that you bring to a tax refund desk at the airport, which will accept these and refund the tax you paid on that item. Obviously you're then supposed to go through customs when you come back to Belgium and pay Belgian tax (whatever that is) on the item - you can't escape the tax completely (at least legally), it's just about in which country you pay it.

5. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

But the thing that bothers me is that the Canadian site price is without tax and the Belgian is with tax. Although the Canadian tax is 13% on the 2700 $ rMBP. The Belgian 2700 € has 21% tax included in it. Still, the 13% extra tax is still less than the Belgian standard price so I can't complain really but it's still 200€ less profit for me.

And how could I get a recite from the online Apple store to refund my tax?

6. Laco macrumors 6502

My understanding is that you can no longer get a tax refund on goods bought in Canada if you are a visitor. I think this is the official link http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/refund/visitor/

7. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link. I read what I can find there and so far I understand only tour operators can get their money back or am I wrong?

Here, http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/refund/index.html, I would think I can get my tax back and then pay the Belgian tax (if I wanted to) within 4 years of my purchase.

8. scbond macrumors 6502

So you bought something in Canada to try and get around paying VAT in Belgium and then found out they also have sales tax in Ontario?! No, there isn't a way around it. You'll also find that if you're sending it sealed from Canada to Belgium by a courier or mail then you'll also get the VAT and import tax added when it arrives in Europe. If anything you'll be losing money, not saving or gaining anything.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I can tell you how this works in Europe - used it on goods bought in Italy and brought to Switzerland:
    From the vendor, you can get a special certificate that states the taxes paid etc. Then back in your home country you go to the airport, there is an office that refunds the difference in sales taxes between the countries.

So you can get the Canadian sales tax reimbursed, however you will have to pay sales tax somewhere. Unless you live in a country with very low sales tax, you can not avoid it.

PS: When you bring the Mac back to Belgium, in principle you have to declare it at the airport and pay the Belgian VAT in addition to the sales tax paid in Canada... and maybe customs fees... good luck!

10. KFredje thread starter macrumors member

The reason I bought it in Canada was that 2700 $ is about 2100 €. In Belgium you pay 2700 € for the rMBP tax included. Never thought Canadian prices were tax excluded :/ ... it's nowhere on their site.

11. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

When checking out, it says this beside the cart total:

12. Laco macrumors 6502

As the above person stated it is on the apple website. But even if it wasn't, all listed prices in Canada do not include sales tax and this does not have to be stated. For example, if you go to any mall in Canada the prices that are given are without tax - that's just the way it is.

As you said though you still got a deal compared to what you would have paid at home.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This is unusual for Europeans, but all prices in Canada and US are posted without tax.

14. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

why didnt u buy it from your own country? apple does ship to that place and shipping is free.

obviously if u buy it in canada there gonna charge tax since your family got it THERE

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

If you had read the info when you were buying the laptop it clearly states that tax is not included in the price and will be charged. They never actually say how much is it and give you a total and subtotal but they always charge it. Not sure why Apple does this but the site does clearly state you will be charged tax

----------

So here is what it says directly beside the total on the checkout page

Important: Sales tax, if applicable, will be added when your order ships and will be included on your sales invoice which can be viewed by visiting online Order Status. Call 1-800-MY-APPLE for further information.

16. scbond macrumors 6502

This is normal in the US and Canada, as is sales tax elsewhere. Did you maybe ask yourself why it costs extra in Belgium? I'm guessing you didn't.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's how it is in the Americas(Canada, the US, and I believe even Mexico works this way) everywhere, prices always exclude taxes unless otherwise stated. The family you have in Ontario could've easily told you this.