Bought a stolen phone - help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kittu, Dec 8, 2013.

1. kittu macrumors newbie

hello frnds 1 week before i bought an iphone frm internet in description they have writteen jail break this iphone okk i bought the phn for 150$ i have went to technition and he told thi phone is theft plzzzzzz help me

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

your only options would seem to be to try to get your money back or attempt to find the owner and return it.

We're not going to help you use a stolen phone.

3. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Call the police and give it to them so they can give it back to the owner.

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Yup. As similarly suggested in another post. I don't think the OP is getting the answer he/she wants & believes that there will be a different answer with each new thread. ;)

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

OP..Keeping this phone is now receiving stolen property = A felony. Call police, and give them a chance to find the owner.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Yeah..if the value of the object is over a certain amount it goes from a misdemeanor to a felony.

Although on a practical note, the police in many places will do nothing

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I think I just got a headache trying to read OP's post. :D

That being said, people NEED TO BE MORE CAREFUL buying used phones these days. Too many people are getting screwed over.

Before you even meet the dude on CL, get him to give you the IMEI. Not just the number. A picture of the sticker. Then run it. When you meet him, make it a secure location, like right near a police station. If they were trying to sell you a stolen phone, the seller wouldn't do it near a police station. ;)

Above all, get picture of their ID (this is up to you. If the dude seems sketchy, etc). If they refuse to produce it or start getting tensed, move along. There are plenty of iPhones out there. And get their REAL NUMBER. Not their text-free, Google Voice, etc. Best way is to put your sim into the new phone, and ask to borrow the guy's phone. Try to type in the number yourself.

If the seller is truly not trying to screw someone over, they'd have zero issues giving you any of this information.

8. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Ive seen a lot of phones advertised as locked because they forgot the passcode, saying that a jailbreak would get things back to working order.

Im amazed people fall for this ****, i mean, come on guys its stolen!

I have come to think that there might be a way to go around the activation lock, or maybe people are stupid.

So main point, is there a way to get around it? Dont have to say how or where to find out more, im sure that would go against forum rules. Im just curious, has it been reported?

9. 617aircav Suspended

There is no way around it. The seller is banking that the buyer does not know how activation lock works.

10. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

thats pretty cool! I mean it sucks that people get scammed, but thank god activation lock is solid. At least you can be comforted in knowing no one will use your phone.

11. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

what language was that?

12. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

f y rmv ll th vwls frm yr wrds y wll knw wht h wntd t s :D

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not sure where on the Internet you bought this phone, but I would contact the seller for a refund.

14. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

If there is no way around the activation lock, how come there are so many websites that offer the activation lock removal?

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

scam.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

Because they prey on people's ignorance and greed and offer nothing more than stealing your info and giving you nothing in return.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

18. BensonTT macrumors regular

BensonTT

What can they do with your imei number?

19. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Activation lock is a serious deal. I bought an iPhone that had been stolen on eBay, fortunately, the girl had put her phone number to call on the Apple ID set screen. I was able to contact her across the country and she deleted the phone off of the account and let me have it. I had replaced the screen.

Though, it is possible to bypass the activation ID lock, I personally have not been successful. The 4S and up have no hope as of yet. Still digging around into the shsh blobs. Anyways, this kind of info is forbidden to speak about on this forum.

You got a pretty paperweight.

20. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

How do I examine a used iPhone before purchasing to know if the Activation Lock is off and clear?

21. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Lmfao hahahahaha

22. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Who cares if it's stolen? I bought lots of stolen things, i even payed a guy to get me a gold 5s and he stoled one for me (i think it's stolen, it didn't came with a box or cable or charger and it had lots of photos on it).

You just bought a phone, you didn't know if it was stolen, you did nothing wrong, it's not your fault!
    That what you tell the police if they ask you something! :D

Enjoy your new phone! :)

23. mclld macrumors 68000

I hope you are joking. If not then I would do nothing wrong according to you by having someone steal that nice 5dmk3 and lenses in your sig

24. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

You sound like a terrible human being. People like you are what make theft profitable.

Given your poor spelling and grammar I doubt that you even understand why.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

Which makes you go hmmm....:rolleyes: