bought a used 2.2 ghz i7 and it wont let me transplant my harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selloutt, Apr 25, 2011.

1. selloutt macrumors member

hi guys i bought a used 15" 2.2 ghz i7 with no install disks. i transplanted the hard drive from my 15" 2.8 core duo (a 500gb western digital running 10.6.7) and the i7 just wont accept the hard drive - the i7 just keeps getting stuck on the apple logo.

are i7s different in some way that i am missing ??

any help appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

What does Disk Utility started from the Restore DVD say?

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

is it a sandy bridge by any chance?

4. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

sadly, i dont have restore disks.

i dont know if this is considered sandy bridge. its the quad core i7 2.2 ghz

15-inch: 2.2 GHz
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    750GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    Ships: Within 24hrs

5. Wanderer509 macrumors member

what OS was your old drive running? was it updated to 10.6.7? because anything less than 10.6.7 might not work (dont have the appropriate kernel, kext whatchamacalit to run the new hardware)

btw, your mbp is sandybridge, its the latest generation

edit: read carefully again n u r already 10.6.7. regardless, i think it still has to do with the missing drivers... how come u dont leave the actual HD in there n use migrate your mac (note that i have never done that before so i have no idea how it works)

6. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

7. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

AND i should add that i did a reinstall with the original sandy bridge hard drive on my 2.8 with my snow leopard disk 10.6 - then did the software update to 10.6.7 - and now that hard drive does the same thing in the sandy bridge machine....just gets stuck at the apple logo

8. Wanderer509 macrumors member

i think u are missing something critical due to the fact that u dont have the original restore disk for the mbp. to my knowledge, the 10.6.7 that runs on the new mbps are a different build from the other macs, ie they have not been unified yet.

as to how to obtain that build, i have no idea.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

give this a shot? maybe u should try installing snow leopard with the HD attached to the sandy bridge.

9. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

well i found this info somewhere else:::::::::::::

The new 2011 MBPs won't boot from older versions of OS X because of the Sandy Bridge chipset changes. Even 10.6.7 that came out after the release of the new MBPs won't make an older drive (updated with 10.6.7) boot. (There was a special 10.6.7 version just for 2011 MBPs)

::::::::::::

SO i guess i have to go buy another snow leopard disk from apple ??

10. Wanderer509 macrumors member

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

that seems consistent to what i am proposing. try updating over the 10.6.7 u have already with that download? i dont know how the update will pan out if u run it on old mbp...

11. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Why didn't your seller sell you his/her 2011 MBP with the Apple installation discs? :confused: I mean this is such a new notebook that it just doesn't sound right to me to be missing the install discs. If I'm you, I'll make sure that the seller did not sell you a stolen notebook or something. :eek:

Good luck. :)

12. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Seriously, why aren't you using migration assistant? Apple includes a utility to easily move from one mac to another without the need to swap hard drives.

13. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

not stolen, he had everything including the box with matching serials and manuals, he just lost his disks...

14. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

how do i use migration assistant if i cant get past the apple logo...?

15. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help wanderer BUT that software download is not supported on my system (my 2.8ghz core 2 duo)

16. Wanderer509 macrumors member

ya, i figured as much that it wouldnt work since it will recognize that the system running it is not sandy bridge.

i guess your best bet is to take it to a apple store? the retail snow leopard probably wont help u either, u need the system restore disk supplied with your mac that has the necessary files to run on your new mbp

17. selloutt thread starter macrumors member

well im lost. went to apple, they said its a firmware issue. they told me to boot from an external but thats not working either.

any other suugestions...

18. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Buy a Snow Leopard install disk from apple. And then install that on the HD that was included with the computer, then use migration assistant.

19. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless he can get a Snow Leopard disc with the special build of 10.6.7, I don't think that's going to help him any.

Until you can get your hands on restore discs for a 2011 MBP, I don't think you're going to have any luck.

Or wait for 10.6.8. Or join the Developer Program and install Lion.

20. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Oh yea forgot about the special builds on the OEM disks.. damn